Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Entreq grounding boxes
Thanks Kunter. It's an interesting bit of kit. Do you mean connect the earth post as well as the connection to the RCA connector ?

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(02-Jul-2014, 21:43)james n Wrote: Thanks Kunter. It's an interesting bit of kit. Do you mean connect the earth post as well as the connection to the RCA connector ?

James

Yes and no.
Usage of silver plated cabling has father good effects. You can the silver cable alone, or together with the already connected rca cable.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Thought some of you might be interested to hear that I have been experimenting with Entreq's brand new RJ45 ground cables. These are cables designed to connect to routers and switches as well as network attached storage devices. I understand there are also USB versions to attach to computers.

In my case I've connected my QNAP 419P NAS to a Silver Minimus using a Challenger RJ45 earth cable. I then added a copper RJ45 cable connecting my Draytek router to the Silver Minimus.

I experimented with a range of different cables including a Silver and Apollo but the Challenger one (oddly) seems to give the best result, and by quite a long chalk at that.

The improvement to the sound quality of my system is spellbinding. It really makes absolutely no sense at all! The soundstage is improved with much better 3D imaging and pinpointing of musicians/instruments and there is more detail coming through on albums I know really well. The kind of details that I've often heard people talk about when describing top of the range CD players, like a musician's foot tapping or odd background noises. But it's the timbre of instruments that is most alluring. Last night I listened to Mozart Complete String Quintets with the Grumiaux Trio (Philips) and when closing my eyes I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing. The best sound I've ever heard coming from my system.

One of the most exciting discoveries I've made quite frankly! Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks Kunter - that looks like it's just grounding the casework (which is connected to the mains earth). I'll take a look.

Guillaume - ah ok that's what those cables do. The Entreq site isn't really very good at explaining all the various options. Is your router, NAS etc remote from your system ?

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(03-Jul-2014, 18:30)james n Wrote: Thanks Kunter - that looks like it's just grounding the casework (which is connected to the mains earth). I'll take a look.

Guillaume - ah ok that's what those cables do. The Entreq site isn't really very good at explaining all the various options. Is your router, NAS etc remote from your system ?

James

I think the images of the RJ45 cables have only just been added to their site and details are still missing.

My networking gear is about as remote from my Hifi as possible. My Hifi sits on a separate (and dedicated) consumer unit so theoretically is isolated from the rest of the house. In addition my NAS and router are plugged into an Isotek EVO3 Polaris mains block which is supposedly bidirectional in its filtering capabilities.

This is what is so surprising about my findings. As I said before it makes little sense!

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(04-Jul-2014, 07:38)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(03-Jul-2014, 18:30)james n Wrote: Thanks Kunter - that looks like it's just grounding the casework (which is connected to the mains earth). I'll take a look.

James

I think the images of the RJ45 cables have only just been added to their site and details are still missing.

My networking gear is about as remote from my Hifi as possible. My Hifi sits on a separate (and dedicated) consumer unit so theoretically is isolated from the rest of the house. In addition my NAS and router are plugged into an Isotek EVO3 Polaris mains block which is supposedly bidirectional in its filtering capabilities.

This is what is so surprising about my findings. As I said before it makes little sense!

Guillaume

Guillaume hi...
Can you determine what is actually being grounded here? Which pin of the RJ45 is connected to the ground? or is it the external shielding? Can you check? You should have a multimeter of sorts to do that...

I would really appreciate it...

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(08-Jul-2014, 20:21)Kunter Wrote:
(04-Jul-2014, 07:38)GuillaumeB Wrote:

James

Guillaume

Guillaume hi...
Can you determine what is actually being grounded here? Which pin of the RJ45 is connected to the ground? or is it the external shielding? Can you check? You should have a multimeter of sorts to do that...

I would really appreciate it...

Cheers.

Hi Kunter - just to clarify the RJ45 is an eartha ground cable, just like the other Entreq ground cables except it has an RJ45 connector at one end instead of RCA. Does that help answer your question?

Guillaume

UK
My question is, which pin on the rj45 is connected to the cable...
Istanbul, Turkey
You will probably have to ask Entreq for the actual pins but my understanding is there's more than one. I'm not sure if the outer shielding is connected either.
I hope Guillaume can measure that...

I suspect it should be TX- and Rcv-, which are Pin 2 and Pin 6. If yes, it would be a shortcut for most of us to try with a spare ethernet cable...

By the way, I now have my final Entreq setup at home, with Atlantis Tellus and two Atlantis cables, which have two connectors at the Tellus side. System sounds pretty good and it is still settling... Detail level and soundstage is really good...

Cheers.
Istanbul, Turkey