Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 8.1.2 released
(09-Jul-2015, 13:31)MusicFirst Wrote: Has anyone sent and received a response from Devialet on the reduced SAM 2 response?

Kerry

When in correspondence with Devialet regarding my recent 8.1.2 / SAM 2 issues, I did ask them about the INCREASED bass response.  This for me was a very noticeable increase in the very low bass, rather than the more obvious upper bass.  Devialet's response as follows:

"By the way, you are totally right, these effects you heard where from the transition from SAM V1 to SAM V2."

I did start a SAM 2 thread last week, which received zero responses!

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1526

Either a very dull thread or a bit quiet on here at the moment?  I would be interested in seeing a few posts on the SAM 2 thread, because I think there are some quite subtle changes, and maybe not so subtle changes with SAM 2.  Currently I haven't had much free time at home to listen since going SAM 2 but will have this weekend.  I think I'll post more when I've had some decent listening time.....

There was also the comment from Devialet regarding SAM 2; "Dynamic compression is now based upon signal as opposed to volume. You should find deep bass at high levels "
(03-Jul-2015, 22:17)Floyd67 Wrote:
(02-Jul-2015, 21:58)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Funnily enough I'm noticing a lot smaller difference with SAM on/off or with different SAM percentages. It seems a lot more subtle than it used to be.

No discernible difference in 7.1.3 either. Even throttling SAM back seems to have no audible effect. Suspect this isn't working as it should be. I'm also running a REL subwoofer, so I would expect the SAM effect would be more noticeable.

Doesn't using a subwoofer disable SAM?
I am pretty sure it does, and it certainly should since AFAIK no subwoofer has been SAMmed, so a SAMmed speaker plus a subwoofer can't work as intended.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2015, 14:05)f1eng Wrote:
(02-Jul-2015, 21:58)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Funnily enough I'm noticing a lot smaller difference with SAM on/off or with different SAM percentages. It seems a lot more subtle than it used to be.

No discernible difference in 7.1.3 either. Even throttling SAM back seems to have no audible effect. Suspect this isn't working as it should be. I'm also running a REL subwoofer, so I would expect the SAM effect would be more noticeable.

I am pretty sure it does, and it certainly should since AFAIK no subwoofer has been SAMmed, so a SAMmed speaker plus a subwoofer can't work as intended.

Unless he's got the REL inline to the speakers which wouldn't be ideal either.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hi - I've now been listening to this for 2 weeks.  Initially, I was a little non-plussed - SAM V2 seemed to too enthusiastic with the bass, and the mid range was recessed.   Didn't sound good at all.   A little experimenting with speaker placement - and SAM at 100%, for the first time ever - and it sounds amazing.  There's an almost holographic feel to the music - it extends so far beyond, above and in front of the speakers.

So, anybody else using 8.1.2 and feeling disenchanted - I'd suggest that you review your speaker placement, I've moved mine closer together and closer to the back wall.

I've also found that 8.1.2 with DPM - in my system, with my ears and room - sounds as good with the stock power cable as it does with my after market power cable.  But let's not start this one .....!

The Devialet just keeps getting better, roll on Dialog compatibility ....

Back to Roddy Frame ....

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(09-Jul-2015, 14:45)Dr Tone Wrote:

That would be worse than bad since the amplitude and phase correction measured and modelled in SAM for the main speaker would be being sent to the subwoofer too! Absolutely wrong in every possible way!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2015, 17:11)f1eng Wrote:
(09-Jul-2015, 14:45)Dr Tone Wrote:

That would be worse than bad since the amplitude and phase correction measured and modelled in SAM for the main speaker would be being sent to the subwoofer too! Absolutely wrong in every possible way!

Which is why I don't use Sam with my REL..  I did try SAM with my speakers when they became SAM'able but in my system bass was definitly better with REL and no SAM.

Neutrik runing off the 250 speaker terminals. I've switched the REL off and it is sounds better with REL on. Toggling between SAM off and on with the sub off = no audible difference.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
I have found a bug with SAM which might explain why some on here are not hearing an audible difference between SAM on and off.

Actually the bug is in the dual mono configurator. 

If you deselect "share sources from slave" on the companion unit (under chaining settings) this results in the sub output showing on the companion (even though it is greyed out and supposedly inactive). This appears to deactivate SAM. Clicking on the share sources box and creating a new config file appears to reinstate SAM.

I have obviously reporting this to Devialet. For a while I couldn't hear a difference between SAM on and off, now it works as before. Obviously this is only relevant to dual mono users.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume,
this is exactly my configuration as well. But I can still hear and measure a slight difference, but currently I prefer to listen without SAM. Do you think switching off the source sharing could only deactivate SAM on the slave ? This could be an explanation for what I hear. Let us know what Devialet answers.

Bernd
(12-Jul-2015, 19:25)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have found a bug with SAM which might explain why some on here are not hearing an audible difference between SAM on and off.

Actually the bug is in the dual mono configurator. 

If you deselect "share sources from slave" on the companion unit (under chaining settings) this results in the sub output showing on the companion (even though it is greyed out and supposedly inactive). This appears to deactivate SAM. Clicking on the share sources box and creating a new config file appears to reinstate SAM.

I have obviously reporting this to Devialet. For a while I couldn't hear a difference between SAM on and off, now it works as before. Obviously this is only relevant to dual mono users.

Guillaume

G, I am one of those how deselect and I have also been surprised how little or no effect SAM changes inflict.

Will try asap when back in August!

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK