Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 8.1.2 released
I sent the following E-mail to Devialet about a week ago:

Hello
I have been using SAM since buying my D400s with FW 7.1.1. I loved SAM 1 and for my speakers (JAMO R909s) the difference was easily heard. Now with SAM 2, I am hard pressed to hear a difference with SAM 2 on or off. Is this normal or is there a problem with SAM 2?

They sent the following response today, perhaps because of Guillaume's earlier findings:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your patience. We found the issue here and it should be fixed this week.
In the mean time, can you add on your SD card the attached file please. So on you SD card you should have two files: the configuration and this one;
It should solve the issue temporarily.
Best regards,
Océane
Customer Care
Pour plus d’information, plusieurs outils sont disponibles sur notre site internet Devialet Support
For more information, please visit our support site Devialet Support
Attachment(s)
https://help.devialet.com/attachments/to...am_cfg.txt

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it today or tomorrow, but the link is here for those D400 or D800 owners who want to play.
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(13-Jul-2015, 18:13)MusicFirst Wrote: I sent the following E-mail to Devialet about a week ago:

Hello
I have been using SAM since buying my D400s with FW 7.1.1. I loved SAM 1 and for my speakers (JAMO R909s) the difference was easily heard. Now with SAM 2, I am hard pressed to hear a difference with SAM 2 on or off. Is this normal or is there a problem with SAM 2?

They sent the following response today, perhaps because of Guillaume's earlier findings:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your patience. We found the issue here and it should be fixed this week.
In the mean time, can you add on your SD card the attached file please. So on you SD card you should have two files: the configuration and this one;
It should solve the issue temporarily.
Best regards,
Océane
Customer Care
Pour plus d’information, plusieurs outils sont disponibles sur notre site internet Devialet Support
For more information, please visit our support site Devialet Support
Attachment(s)
https://help.devialet.com/attachments/to...am_cfg.txt

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it today or tomorrow, but the link is here for those D400 or D800 owners who want to play.

The attached file looks like a SAM 2 profile, and is designated for the Jamo.  I don't think they would need to send this if it was just related to the sub out issue mentioned by Guillaume earlier.  Very strange that you are suffering from reduced / no SAM effect, and I'm getting mega super sub bass SAM!  These issues might be related, who knows?  Devialet have responded to my issue as posted on the SAM 2 thread.  They are looking into it etc.  strangely they sent me copy of a beta firmware (8.1.3beta) but were a little unclear if this relates in any way to my SAM issues.
I have also contacted Devialet. As reported earlier I'm not using SAM anymore since 8.1.x, the effect is now hardly audible and in most cases it is better without SAM. That was not the case with 7.1 where SAM was really an improvement.
The question is if that is a problem of the new algorithm in general or if only some SAM profiles need to be recalculated from the measured data...
(13-Jul-2015, 21:21)Vivialet Wrote: I have also contacted Devialet. As reported earlier I'm not using SAM anymore since 8.1.x, the effect is now hardly audible and in most cases it is better without SAM. That was not the case with 7.1 where SAM was really an improvement.
The question is if that is a problem of the new algorithm in general or if only some SAM profiles need to be recalculated from the measured data...

Logic sort of says that if only a few people are suffering this then it is with only certain profiles and not SAM V2 in its entirety.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
or maybe all with dual mono who switch off the slave inputs ? Then it would be a configurator issue.
Mine is a dual mono with no slave inputs switched on and works fine.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I have dual mono but overactive sub bass SAM! (Slave inputs disabled) It also looks like Musicfirst's issue is not related to the sub out, because the file Devialet sent out contains a SAM configuration. Nickb is advising SAM 2 works well in his set up, so I have to conclude that there are many factors at play here. Firstly, maybe some are getting no SAM due to a configurator bug, the other issues look like they are related to specific SAM profiles. It's good news that Nickb's SAM is working well, this at least shows SAM 2 is not inherently flawed, even if some individual SAM profiles are looking problematic.

This makes me think, I used to be the king of dual mono configurator issues. Recently, with my many SAM and firmware issues, I have used the configurator extensively, and this at least now appears to work perfectly, for me anyway.
(13-Jul-2015, 21:02)Confused Wrote: .... strangely they sent me copy of a beta firmware (8.1.3beta) but were a little unclear if this relates in any way to my SAM issues.

So have you tried 8.1.3beta yet?  I hope its as good as the ephemeral 7.1.3beta Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(14-Jul-2015, 09:53)PhilP Wrote:
(13-Jul-2015, 21:02)Confused Wrote: .... strangely they sent me copy of a beta firmware (8.1.3beta) but were a little unclear if this relates in any way to my SAM issues.

So have you tried 8.1.3beta yet?  I hope its as good as the ephemeral 7.1.3beta Smile

Not yet, having spent many weekends over the last month or so, SD swapping due to SAM and firmware issues, I am getting a little jaded of the whole business.  Plus, I have only just got 8.1.2 working satisfactorily.  So, I would want to get a few hours of listening in on 8.1.2 before trying the next incarnation, otherwise I would have no idea of any improvements (or declines) in sound quality.  Although, I'm sure I'll succumb to temptation before too long.....
(14-Jul-2015, 09:53)PhilP Wrote:

Yes, it is very good indeed, solves boomy bass issues, voices are clearer, still great warmth with detail. Fab!
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.