Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 8.1.2 released
I really hope they haven't messed it up for multiple speakers in multiple ways. I find SAM quite subtle now and preferable to how it was (really quite boomy) but it worries me that it's different.
Well spent time listening to 7.1.3 and SAM 1 last night as well as 8.1.2 with a custom SAM 2 configuration for my Jamo R909s direct from Devialet support.

Bottom line 7.1.3 still has better soundstage depth and much more musical midrange.  8.1.2 with the custom SAM 2 config had bass to die for.  I can believe the SAMMed Jamo response curves which show response down to 16 hz and TIGHT, theres no doubt they don't get down to 16hz due to the room, but everything from around 40hz down was awesome.  However, for my taste, the midrance/top end of 8.1.2 was a little more forward, less relaxed and less presence.  As a consequence the soundstage was much more forward. More digital for want of a better term.

If I could have the midrange/top end from 7.1.3 with the bass response of corrected SAM 2.  I would never leave the house!  Wink
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(19-Jul-2015, 17:46)MusicFirst Wrote: Well spent time listening to 7.1.3 and SAM 1 last night as well as 8.1.2 with a custom SAM 2 configuration for my Jamo R909s direct from Devialet support.

Bottom line 7.1.3 still has better soundstage depth and much more musical midrange.  8.1.2 with the custom SAM 2 config had bass to die for.  I can believe the SAMMed Jamo response curves which show response down to 16 hz and TIGHT, theres no doubt they don't get down to 16hz due to the room, but everything from around 40hz down was awesome.  However, for my taste, the midrance/top end of 8.1.2 was a little more forward, less relaxed and less presence.  As a consequence the soundstage was much more forward. More digital for want of a better term.

If I could have the midrange/top end from 7.1.3 with the bass response of corrected SAM 2.  I would never leave the house!  Wink

Do you know if the custom SAM 2 profile was produced with SAM lab?
(19-Jul-2015, 17:53)Confused Wrote:
(19-Jul-2015, 17:46)MusicFirst Wrote: Well spent time listening to 7.1.3 and SAM 1 last night as well as 8.1.2 with a custom SAM 2 configuration for my Jamo R909s direct from Devialet support.

It came directly from Devialet Support, so I suspect it was generated in-house with their normal methodology.
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(19-Jul-2015, 18:36)MusicFirst Wrote:

It came directly from Devialet Support, so I suspect it was generated in-house with there normal methodology.

A reasonable assumption, however, the reason I ask is that at the OAC Phantom event last week, I was talking to Devialet's Matheau Pernod regarding my SAM 2 issues and one thing he suggested was that I get a new profile for the KEF Blades when SAM Lab is in the UK.  Now I may be putting 2 + 2 together and making 5, but it looks to me as if there are some issues with the original SAM profiles and SAM 2, much as Rufus is considering above.  As SAM 2 is designed to work with SAM Lab, this would therefore mitigate these issues.  So maybe it is just possible the SAM profile you like is made using SAM Lab?  Or maybe they have a new and improved way of producing SAM profiles in house?  Either way, there is something going on here!
(19-Jul-2015, 18:58)Confused Wrote:
(19-Jul-2015, 18:36)MusicFirst Wrote:

It came directly from Devialet Support, so I suspect it was generated in-house with their normal methodology.

A reasonable assumption, however, the reason I ask is that at the OAC Phantom event last week, I was talking to Devialet's Matheau Pernod regarding my SAM 2 issues and one thing he suggested was that I get a new profile for the KEF Blades when SAM Lab is in the UK.  Now I may be putting 2 + 2 together and making 5, but it looks to me as if there are some issues with the original SAM profiles and SAM 2, much as Rufus is considering above.  As SAM 2 is designed to work with SAM Lab, this would therefore mitigate these issues.  So maybe it is just possible the SAM profile you like is made using SAM Lab?  Or maybe they have a new and improved way of producing SAM profiles in house?  Either way, there is something going on here!

I guess it's possible, but I can't picture them hauling out a Jamo R909 (assuming they have one on hand) to re-measure with SAM Lab for li'l ol' me, when they have all the in house measuring equipment?  But in any case, the bottom octave improvement was scary good!
MusicFirst - I guess you must be right, it is not likely Devialet will happen to have a pair of R909's sitting around waiting to be re-SAMed. So this leads to the supposition that they are in some way tweaking the implementation of original SAM into SAM 2.

It's obviously impossible for Devialet to test each individual SAM profile, so there are bound to be a few issues along the way. Clearly SAM 2 is performing very differently in some cases.
(19-Jul-2015, 15:17)Confused Wrote:
(19-Jul-2015, 14:40)Jnan_devi Wrote: Mr Confused ? link to 8.1.3beta please?

There is no link unfortunately!   In response to yourself and the others asking about 8.13beta, this version appears only to have been sent to individuals in contact with Devilalet support, individuals with specific issues with 8.1.2, in my case SAM 2 issues.  A shame in some respects, as I would be interested in other people's views of 8.1.3beta, in particular with respect to SAM implementation.  I guess Devialet support are busy enough at the moment with people like me with 8.x.x issues, plus the Phantom roll out, so releasing 8.1.3beta is probably undesirable to them at the moment.

In addition, if they are fixing the SAM implementation in the 8.1.3 beta, the 8.1.2 profiles may not be compatible. I experienced that with 8.1.2 where I got a beta solving the rumbling issue, and it came with a updated sam profile for my Armonias, therefore it would have been of use only to people with the same speakers as I have.

I suspect 8.1.3beta may be the same.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jul-2015, 12:35)Confused Wrote: Talking to the Devialet guy  (Mathieu Pernod) at OAC this week, 8.1.3beta does indeed fix some SAM 2 issues.  I loaded it up late last night and have not had a chance for any serious listening yet, but with a quick listen, the bass issues I mentioned previously have change dramatically, maybe over to not enough SAM effect now.  It's early days though, I'll post more when I get a chance for a few hours listening.  8.1.3beta is most definitely different though!  Looks promising so far ....

@Floyd - Out of interest, what speakers are you running.  It looks like your issues are similar to mine with the KEF Blade?

Hi Confused, I have Wilson Audio Duettes (original) - really liking 8.1.3 beta. Devialet asked me to load it and create a new config file from scratch, which did the trick.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
A message from Devialet Support was just received.

'Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.

I happy to announce that 8.1.3 will be online next week.

Best regards,

Roger

Customer Care'