Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
Also, in terms of how hot they get. The phantoms themselves do not get particularly hot even when played loud for long periods. The dialog on the other hand gets worryingly hot to the touch.

The heatsink design on the phantom is adequate, the metal is anodised, the fins are too thick, there are not enough quantity of fins - all make for a not very efficient design at transferring heat to air, but that said the design seems adequate for what they put out under normal circumstances in my fairly small room anyway.

The heatsink design on the dialog though is a masterclass in how not to design a heatsink, again big thick fins, anodised, not many of them - but even worse due to the plastic casing with tiny holes at the bottom and tiny holes at the top, the amount of air that can actually reach the fins is minimal. The amount of heat the metal heatsink is able to wick away into the air is tiny and this is why the dialog gets SO hot even though it is only using 7watts most of the time. Dissapointing, and frankly unfixable unless they can magically make the unit use a constant 3 watts less.
(03-Sep-2015, 21:37)Butuz Wrote: Unlike Frank F1Eng - if I unplug my dialog and phantoms at bedtime, by the time I come home from work, it loses all it's settings and the next time I start spark I have to go through the whole set up again.  This may be because I am out the house for longer? 

I have previously been away from home for more than one month (came back two weeks ago).

Everything was unplugged and the Dialog/Phantoms were moved to storage (mostly to avoid dust and feline missiles); they worked properly without requiring a new setup process when I plugged them back in.
(03-Sep-2015, 21:17)ragwo Wrote: That's strange. Your Phantoms should show up as BT devices with both 1.2.0.0 and 1.3.0.31. It's not until 1.3.0.31 you actually can pair your phone etc with the speakers. Could you tell us what the Phantom's first three letters/numbers are? I believe both H25 and H30 have BT.

My dialog is H17 and my Phantoms are H20. Are they too old ? This is unbelievable that they sold me old Phantoms without external BT to compensate. By the way my dialog is 1.3.0.30 and not 31 as my Phantoms are, is it ok ?
They might be too old. I believe another forum member had non BT speakers with serial H21. You should contact Devialet, I don't think they will be fuzzy about sending you a BT dongle. I believe the newest firmware for Dialog is 1.3.0.30
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I believe that the number like H20 relates to the week number of manufacture. I think I read somewhere on Devialet site that inbuilt Bluetooth was introduced during June manufacture. H20 relates to May11th to 17th so it would not be included. You haven't said when you actually purchased them. My Phantom is H29 so manufactured July 13th to 19th and shipped 24th July so includes it, they still shipped a Bluetooth adapter with it as it had not been implemented. I don't know the actual date in June that Bluetooth was included during manufacture.

At the very least Devialet should provide you with a Bluetooth adapter.
Ok thanks guys, i'll send a mail to Devialet, hoping they will send me a BT adapter. Very bad from them to not introduce BT in their first machines : you buy the first ones trustfully and a feature is missing :/
(04-Sep-2015, 15:05)SimonB Wrote: Ok thanks guys, i'll send a mail to Devialet, hoping they will send me a BT adapter. Very bad from them to not introduce BT in their first machines : you buy the first ones trustfully and a feature is missing :/

I think this is a little unfair. The Phantom was not advertised as having bluetooth when I ordered mine. It was a feature they added later, for functionality only made available this month.
OTOH, I think it is bad that those of us who bought early units were not informed that bluetooth was being added and had a dongle supplied automatically. I ordered mine from their store in December so it is not as if they don't have my shipping address.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Sep-2015, 15:52)racapsa Wrote: Hello. I feel also frustrated about the new volume control. But I would like your comment on the following:
Is it only me, or there is something different with the dynamics of Phantom especially in the lower frequency range? In my opinion the lower part of the frequency spectrum is a bit muffled, lacks the clarity and power it used to have. Overall, the sound is not so spectacular as it used to be. The mids and highs are OK, but I do not find anymore the rich extraordinary sound I used to have.

Thank you.  

Razvan

One phantom, one dialog, Deezer, Tidal, MacOS, iPhone, iPad.
Hi. My impression is also that the sound seems to have acquired a different equalisation for the frequency spectrum and the midrange is less clear even around 35 volume and the lower frequencies have started to sound like a subwoofer, from a very natural sound reproduction. It used to have a lot of clarity for guitar music and that is now gone. As you say, the rich extraordinary sound seems to have become a lot more ordinary. 

I think it is a by-product of the mathematics of the volume treatment, but for the time being Devialet doesn't support return to the old firmware, which I find amazing.

londonuser

4 phantoms, 1 dialor, Tidal, Qobuz, MacOS, iPhone, iPad
(03-Sep-2015, 14:19)nikwest Wrote:
(03-Sep-2015, 13:19)Vince_JP Wrote: @nikwest: eager to know. Just took measure yesterday & this morning with the new FW: unchanged 20 W when not playing. May be something wrong with mines?

I just ordered a power meter from Amazon. Will let you know what I have once I received it.

I am measuring 18W consistently when not playing music. This is too much IMHO...
(04-Sep-2015, 19:13)londonuser Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 15:52)racapsa Wrote: Hello. I feel also frustrated about the new volume control. But I would like your comment on the following:
Is it only me, or there is something different with the dynamics of Phantom especially in the lower frequency range? In my opinion the lower part of the frequency spectrum is a bit muffled, lacks the clarity and power it used to have. Overall, the sound is not so spectacular as it used to be. The mids and highs are OK, but I do not find anymore the rich extraordinary sound I used to have.

Thank you.  

Razvan

One phantom, one dialog, Deezer, Tidal, MacOS, iPhone, iPad.
Hi. My impression is also that the sound seems to have acquired a different equalisation for the frequency spectrum and the midrange is less clear even around 35 volume and the lower frequencies have started to sound like a subwoofer, from a very natural sound reproduction. It used to have a lot of clarity for guitar music and that is now gone. As you say, the rich extraordinary sound seems to have become a lot more ordinary. 

I think it is a by-product of the mathematics of the volume treatment, but for the time being Devialet doesn't support return to the old firmware, which I find amazing.

londonuser

4 phantoms, 1 dialor, Tidal, Qobuz, MacOS, iPhone, iPad
Hi,
I'm new here, but I've registered to this forum, because I was searching information, as we have same problems, experience.
So I share the frustration related to the volume control and the sound is like londonuser described!

I've contacted Devialet as well, they've promised to answer me soon. I proposed to read these comments as well, to them.

Hope to get back the fullbodied clear sound of the previous FW!

1 Phantom, 1 Silver Phantom. Dialog - MacOS