Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
(03-Sep-2015, 06:22)racapsa Wrote:
(03-Sep-2015, 03:13)Carloscdk Wrote: A great test with phantoms that still has the old firmware.

We had a great test tonight with one of my friends that a pair of Phantom silver. He didn't upgrade to the new firmware, this is the type of guy that always wait before upgrade his computer or phones, he always like to hear the reviews of people first.

Well the result are:

- The dynamic range of the bass a lower volume is for sure much more flat. It doesn't has any longer that deep impact. The tweeter and midrange are more present than the bass.

- The all old 10 in the volume scale, is now 35, the old 25 is now 40, the old 35 is now 45. At least that is are conclusion after the whole test.
We think that the jump is quite drastically. For me 10 and 30 with the old firmware was the sweet spot for volume listing, but now it goes from normal volume to high volume to rapidly.

- My friends's Phantoms sounds much louder and we both were agree. So we think that the volume some how was downgrade.

In conclusion:

From my point of view the Phantom has lost the magic that it used have on me :-(
Before one of the reason that I thought the Phantoms were so impressive, was because even at lower volume the bass dynamic range was so present and deep. It had a deep impact effect. That effect is not longer there. Of curse if you go up to 40 and up you will start to hear that big bass, but I am not going to go that high every time I want to heart a good bass, my neighbours won't be happy about it.

Also the reason I bought the Phantoms was because of that massive deep impact bass, and like I said before that bass was so good even a lower volume. I never heard another speakers who couldn't do that so well, but now they just sounds like average speaker at lower volume.

"PHANTOM IMPLOSIVE SOUND CENTER. experience ultra-dense sound with physical impact."

For me that title doesn't apply any longer to the Phantom. The magic is complete gone until they resolve this issue.

My friend is so happy that he didn't upgrade, and he is not going to upgrade any time soon until a better upgrade comes along.

P.S.
I still have some other issues, like loosing connection with the phantoms, playing music with my CD player is almost impossible, because the signal is loosing connection by a fraction of a second quite a lot in every song I play, so is quite annoying to hear music with that problem. By the way my CD player is connected with an optical cable to the Dialog.

I totally agree. But we must do something. We have spent a lot of money for a device which no longer meets our desires and expectations. I think that as soon as we have some specific measurements of output at low frequencies, we should all ask Devialet to provide us quickly with a solution to downgrade the firmware to the previous version. What do you think? Has anyone addressed the customer service of Devialet specifically for this damage in sound quality at lower volumes or just for other issues related to the new firmwre? Do they deny it? If they do, we seem to have a problem. They already denied the degradation of volume response curve without any reference to the degradation of sound quality, but maybe it is still too early and not enough customers expressed their disappointment. I think Devialet should understand that is a serious problem. Thank you for following this subject.
I have written to Devialet about it. Basically, I have told them that if I had heard the product with the current firmware in the shop, I doubt I would have purchased it. I have also asked if they are not happy to revert the changes whether they are happy to take back the products and refund the customers that feel this is an unwanted product change that downgrades the user experience.

I hope they take a responsible rather than arrogant attitude about it. By comparison, Microsoft has realised that what seems like a good idea in the testing, may not be received as a good idea by the customers, and much more complex software comes with the option to revert changes.

I shall update you their reply, but I think more people that feel this way should raise a direct complaint with the company so they understand our views.
@Vince_JP: I unplug my Phantoms every night and plug them back when I come home after work. I never unplug my Dialog though. Every time I plug them back to the mains it takes around a minute for both my Phantoms to be ready to play my music. In the meantime, Spark does tell me that one or more Phantom is missing, but as soon as they have started and reconnected to the Dialog, I can play music. No need to re-do the whole setup process.
I absolutely disagree with you. I hear no sound quality change on mine, just a change in the volume control law which I am sure anybody can get used to after a while.
I have had kit in the past with much less logical volume control actions than either the original or current volume control laws used by the Phantom, usually in the name of sound quality improvement of a non-logarithmic pot.

I don't look at the number, personally, I just adjust the volume to sound as loud as I want and since nothing has changed on my Phantoms apart from the number displayed in Spark when I listen it makes no difference at all.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(03-Sep-2015, 08:53)raph972 Wrote: @Vince_JP: I unplug my Phantoms every night and plug them back when I come home after work. I never unplug my Dialog though. Every time I plug them back to the mains it takes around a minute for both my Phantoms to be ready to play my music. In the meantime, Spark does tell me that one or more Phantom is missing, but as soon as they have started and reconnected to the Dialog, I can play music. No need to re-do the whole setup process.

I unplug everything after listening. I re-connect the Phantoms and then Dialog the next day, after a while (I haven't timed it) everything is as it was before unplugging. I haven't had to re-do the setup after unplugging since version 1 of Spark.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

@f1eng...I can agree with you, same experience here. So, for this aspects we're happy users. It's a pity for those that are not. Are they right ? I don't know, but music is emotion. And in emotion every opinion is right...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
@power-off/on...my configuration consists of 1 dialog + 2 phantoms; conected via a network switch with my home (cable) network. A Simple Audio streamer is connected via Toslink with the Dialog. All devices get their power from a 220volt extension box with a switch; easy power-off/on. Takes less than a minute. For controlling I use the Spark desktop application and/or the Ipad/Iphone app. The Simple Audio streamer is used to select music from both NAS-devices, or internet radio; works fine for me. To complete: Dialog serial starts with H19, Phantoms with H24.

That is absolutely right, which makes Devialet.
Bass was absolutely blown, music did not sound neutral, but always Bass stressed that there were very nice bass effects, but not high-end, now is right now everything depends on the room acoustics and quality of the music material, as it also has always been.

My wish is: the same possibilities to adjust the sound as shown in the Expert Series.

Sorry for my englishSmile
For the bad or the better, the question is: did Devialet change only the volume scale (as they claim) or the equalizer as well (as some feel). If both, the should give their customer the possibility to choose their preference.

@power-off/on: I'm probably too impatient and should wait a minute for the phantom to re-boot. Anyway, I would like to have a comfortable way to turn off my system & the stand-by consumption is by far too high (and non EU-Norm compatible, but I guess that's why Devialet doesn't say it has a stand-by). I'm sure this an issue that could be better adressed by firmware-upgrade.
@vince_JP: I agree on the missing standby function cq power consumption.