Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
May be someone can open a poll on wether people like the new volume control or not?
I liked it the previous way, but may be it's just always difficult to change habits...
I "feel" in somehow a less clear & less dynamic sound at lower level.
I like the UI, the possibility to control the volume over my device, but I'm missing something...
(02-Sep-2015, 15:52)racapsa Wrote: Hello. I feel also frustrated about the new volume control. But I would like your comment on the following:
Is it only me, or there is something different with the dynamics of Phantom especially in the lower frequency range? In my opinion the lower part of the frequency spectrum is a bit muffled, lacks the clarity and power it used to have. Overall, the sound is not so spectacular as it used to be. The mids and highs are OK, but I do not find anymore the rich extraordinary sound I used to have.

Thank you.  

Razvan

One phantom, one dialog, Deezer, Tidal, MacOS, iPhone, iPad.

for me it's exactly that, very much more muffled on lower volumes... it used to have a very open and "breathing" sound at low volume.
Andreas
Cool thing I tried out today was pairing my Samsung tv with the Phantoms via Bluetooth.
(02-Sep-2015, 19:55)Rhamy Wrote: Cool thing I tried out today was pairing my Samsung tv with the Phantoms via Bluetooth.

Does your volume jump to 70 when connecting to the tv like mine does?
(02-Sep-2015, 15:52)racapsa Wrote: Hello. I feel also frustrated about the new volume control. But I would like your comment on the following:
Is it only me, or there is something different with the dynamics of Phantom especially in the lower frequency range? In my opinion the lower part of the frequency spectrum is a bit muffled, lacks the clarity and power it used to have. Overall, the sound is not so spectacular as it used to be. The mids and highs are OK, but I do not find anymore the rich extraordinary sound I used to have.

Thank you.  

Razvan

One phantom, one dialog, Deezer, Tidal, MacOS, iPhone, iPad.

I observe the same. The volume shift makes it more difficult to compare not having the possibility of AB listening. Maybe someone here can wait to update all his Phantoms to make an AB listening comparison. I feel that after the fw update at volumes (new) of 35 what used to be by feeling 10 before or lower volumes deep bass is not anymore pushed as much that it compensates the fealt loudness. So listening at low volumes is more flat and not anymore 'cribbling' as it used to be. This is a pity! I hope the strategy of Devialet is to bring us back choice of settings that we can enjoy neutral and more exciting EQ settings as the one that was delivered in previous FW. I measured in FW 1.2.0.0 up to 15 dB more at frequencies between 25 and 60 Hz. Some of this can be due to room resonances, but I will do some new measurements at 75dB and compare. This used to be in my setting a vlume set to 21 in FW 1.2.0.0 . So let's see what this mean in the new FW and whether the frequency range has changed for this level.
To add on this, my wife, not really into music listening also had the impression that there is missing some sub-bass after the update. Both of us are sort of disappointed! However, listening to some classical music (piano and string instruments) and jazz i(e.g Lisa Eckdahl) is still very much enjoyable as intenive sub-bass is less important than in good rock and electro music.
(01-Sep-2015, 16:41)ragwo Wrote: Please post impressions here Smile

My impression is that with firmware 1.3.0.x the sound reproduction has degraded. Although when I raised the issue with the manufacturers the support team says it is only a change in the volume curve, my impression is that there has been a direct or indirect change in equalization. 
I have some Phantoms at home which I have upgraded and one at the office which I have not upgraded. Although it is not possible to match the volume controls, the sound of the guitars for instance sounds in my opinion much less transparent with the new firmware. I generally feel that with the new firmware the sound has become rather average from what I though was pretty outstanding before.
I have inquired about reverting to the 1.2 firmware but there is no provision for it.
A great test with phantoms that still has the old firmware.

We had a great test tonight with one of my friends that a pair of Phantom silver. He didn't upgrade to the new firmware, this is the type of guy that always wait before upgrade his computer or phones, he always like to hear the reviews of people first.

Well the result are:

- The dynamic range of the bass a lower volume is for sure much more flat. It doesn't has any longer that deep impact. The tweeter and midrange are more present than the bass.

- The all old 10 in the volume scale, is now 35, the old 25 is now 40, the old 35 is now 45. At least that is are conclusion after the whole test.
We think that the jump is quite drastically. For me 10 and 30 with the old firmware was the sweet spot for volume listing, but now it goes from normal volume to high volume to rapidly.

- My friends's Phantoms sounds much louder and we both were agree. So we think that the volume some how was downgrade.

In conclusion:

From my point of view the Phantom has lost the magic that it used have on me :-(
Before one of the reason that I thought the Phantoms were so impressive, was because even at lower volume the bass dynamic range was so present and deep. It had a deep impact effect. That effect is not longer there. Of curse if you go up to 40 and up you will start to hear that big bass, but I am not going to go that high every time I want to heart a good bass, my neighbours won't be happy about it.

Also the reason I bought the Phantoms was because of that massive deep impact bass, and like I said before that bass was so good even a lower volume. I never heard another speakers who couldn't do that so well, but now they just sounds like average speaker at lower volume.

"PHANTOM IMPLOSIVE SOUND CENTER. experience ultra-dense sound with physical impact."

For me that title doesn't apply any longer to the Phantom. The magic is complete gone until they resolve this issue.

My friend is so happy that he didn't upgrade, and he is not going to upgrade any time soon until a better upgrade comes along.

P.S.
I still have some other issues, like loosing connection with the phantoms, playing music with my CD player is almost impossible, because the signal is loosing connection by a fraction of a second quite a lot in every song I play, so is quite annoying to hear music with that problem. By the way my CD player is connected with an optical cable to the Dialog.
I've been sick for the last couple of days, so only got around reading this thread today.

It seems like the new firmware upgrade is a bummer, so I'll stick with what I have.

One question. Is it possible to upgrade the Spark app without doing the firmware and how do you reject the new firmware upgrade?

Sorry that was two questions Blush
(03-Sep-2015, 03:13)Carloscdk Wrote: A great test with phantoms that still has the old firmware.

We had a great test tonight with one of my friends that a pair of Phantom silver. He didn't upgrade to the new firmware, this is the type of guy that always wait before upgrade his computer or phones, he always like to hear the reviews of people first.

Well the result are:

- The dynamic range of the bass a lower volume is for sure much more flat. It doesn't has any longer that deep impact. The tweeter and midrange are more present than the bass.

- The all old 10 in the volume scale, is now 35, the old 25 is now 40, the old 35 is now 45. At least that is are conclusion after the whole test.
We think that the jump is quite drastically. For me 10 and 30 with the old firmware was the sweet spot for volume listing, but now it goes from normal volume to high volume to rapidly.

- My friends's Phantoms sounds much louder and we both were agree. So we think that the volume some how was downgrade.

In conclusion:

From my point of view the Phantom has lost the magic that it used have on me :-(
Before one of the reason that I thought the Phantoms were so impressive, was because even at lower volume the bass dynamic range was so present and deep. It had a deep impact effect. That effect is not longer there. Of curse if you go up to 40 and up you will start to hear that big bass, but I am not going to go that high every time I want to heart a good bass, my neighbours won't be happy about it.

Also the reason I bought the Phantoms was because of that massive deep impact bass, and like I said before that bass was so good even a lower volume. I never heard another speakers who couldn't do that so well, but now they just sounds like average speaker at lower volume.

"PHANTOM IMPLOSIVE SOUND CENTER. experience ultra-dense sound with physical impact."

For me that title doesn't apply any longer to the Phantom. The magic is complete gone until they resolve this issue.

My friend is so happy that he didn't upgrade, and he is not going to upgrade any time soon until a better upgrade comes along.

P.S.
I still have some other issues, like loosing connection with the phantoms, playing music with my CD player is almost impossible, because the signal is loosing connection by a fraction of a second quite a lot in every song I play, so is quite annoying to hear music with that problem. By the way my CD player is connected with an optical cable to the Dialog.

I totally agree. But we must do something. We have spent a lot of money for a device which no longer meets our desires and expectations. I think that as soon as we have some specific measurements of output at low frequencies, we should all ask Devialet to provide us quickly with a solution to downgrade the firmware to the previous version. What do you think? Has anyone addressed the customer service of Devialet specifically for this damage in sound quality at lower volumes or just for other issues related to the new firmwre? Do they deny it? If they do, we seem to have a problem. They already denied the degradation of volume response curve without any reference to the degradation of sound quality, but maybe it is still too early and not enough customers expressed their disappointment. I think Devialet should understand that is a serious problem. Thank you for following this subject.
Another disappointment in the latest upgrade: Power Consumption on standby still at 20W. Neither we got a solution to easily power off the Phantoms. Re-/Unplugging leads me inevitably to set-up procedure ("we lost one phantom")...
I guess downgrading won't be easy.... but if I could, I would.