Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware update 1.3.0.x
(02-Sep-2015, 07:53)MountainGuy Wrote: Those of you who are using bluetooth - are you using just one unit or a stereo pair?

Thanks,
UL

Using a stereo pair connecting via BT to one speaker.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Here is the response from Devialet regarding the volume issue.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.

Do not worry, even though we had some similar return, this is completely normal. Your Phantom did not in any way lose any power. 0 is still silent and 100 is still the same loudness as it was in the previous firmware.

As you can see now on the volume bar, if you move it from right to left, you have additional "location".

The engineers indeed extended the scale of the volume, in order to have something more relevant to what users seek in terms of sound.

Which is why now 20 will sound lower. By our understanding it is because a 20 at firmware 1.0.3 now corresponds to maybe a 10 of the latest version.

We will have more details on this from our engineers later today. I will let you know their more technical explanation.

Hmmmmmmm
All in all a a BIG step forward!!

Spark is much more intuitive and sleek. The integration with Tidal is a lot better :-)
Sounds quality is the same, volume scale very different but I prefer it like that where at low volumes the increment is much more linear.
BT works fine.
Lip-sync on toslink is still an issue but not dramatic. I can live with that for now.

Bring on the next update and activate Webradio and Home Cinema 5.1!!!

My configuration...for now: 1x Phantom "normal" + Dialog

- Tristan -
This issue with the volume really bothers me.

I used to like the scale volume before, I used like that at volume 10 it was a good loudness for my living room. and if I wanted to play a bit louder 20 to 30 was perfect! But now it is really difficult to find the right loudness, because from 40 up the volume goes so drastically so loud.

The sounds quality may be the same, but the change in the volume scale it was so drastically, that it lost the wow factor the Phantom used gave me. I don't know if is something psychologic in my head, but the dynamic range of the bass at low volume doesn't have that much impact any more.

Maybe is a reason why Devialet did that radical change, but without any explanation some people may get disappoint, because one time you get used to something you don't like that big radical changes, at least without a good explanation.

I also start to have some issues that I didn't have before. like hissing sound and lost of connection. Something I didn't have before. Also the desktop app is behaving a bit strange is disappearing for like a fraction of a second and goes back to normal.

I read something before here in this chatroom that I am so agree. Who is the software designer, an amature, a freelancer person? Devialet needs to have the best of the best to represent well the ecosystem of the company. Better design in the software area, and graphic area.

I do not like the new UI of the app, and I didn't like the old version either, doesn't represent well the Devialet company at all. That is just my opinion.

- Another problem that I have now is the play queue. The music list in the queue is being removed automatically, happens already twice.

- The hissing problem like a mention before is getting worse, specially if I play music through my CD player that is connected with an optical cable to the Dialog.

- I can't control the volume for an individual Phantom in other rooms. I have 4 Phantom silver at home, 2 are an stereo setup in the living-room, one in dining-room as solo, and the other in the bedroom as solo (now calls mix). The problem now is that if I want to play the same music through all of them, they run at the same volume. I can't control individually the volume of the one in the dining-room or in the bedroom. That was possible before, but not any longer with the new update. This is pretty annoying, please Devialet do something at SAP.

Please return the volume scale as it was before, in my opinion it was much, much better that way.

My wife is so upset with this system that she want me to return it, I may start to think she may be right. But I do love the concept of this system...a lot! So I am hoping for better updates as soon as possible.
(02-Sep-2015, 07:56)ragwo Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 07:53)MountainGuy Wrote: Those of you who are using bluetooth - are you using just one unit or a stereo pair?

Thanks,
UL

Using a stereo pair connecting via BT to one speaker.

Same here.
I just got this e-mail from Devialet costumer service:

Devialet S
Devialet Support (Devialet)
Sep 2, 12:01

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.

We understand you surprise about the new volume because we were the same. So we discussed this with ou engineers and they had as expected a relevant explanation.

In the previous version, the volume was not coherent at all. A 5% volumes would produce such a high sound. By many feedbacks we received it was not confortable for users.

So the engineers extended the volume scale. The whole volume of Phantom is still available. Phantom sound was in no way blocked or reduced.

A part of the scale was simply reworked in order to add more "finesse" to the system as per the attached table (old volume vs new volume).

Of course we would be happy to help you resolve some other issues that you may encounter with this new major update.
(02-Sep-2015, 09:49)Carloscdk Wrote: This issue with the volume really bothers me.

I used to like the scale volume before, I used like that at volume 10 it was a good loudness for my living room. and if I wanted to play a bit louder 20 to 30 was perfect! But now it is really difficult to find the right loudness, because from 40 up the volume goes so drastically so loud.

The sounds quality may be the same, but the change in the volume scale it was so drastically, that it lost the wow factor the Phantom used gave me. I don't know if is something psychologic in my head, but the dynamic range of the bass at low volume doesn't have that much impact any more.

Maybe is a reason why Devialet did that radical change, but without any explanation some people may get disappoint, because one time you get used to something you don't  like that big radical changes, at least without a good explanation.

I also start to have some issues that I didn't have before. like hissing sound and lost of connection. Something I didn't have before. Also the desktop app is behaving a bit strange is disappearing for like a fraction of a second and goes back to normal.

I read something before here in this chatroom that I am so agree. Who is the software designer, an amature, a freelancer person? Devialet needs to have the best of the best to represent well the ecosystem of the company. Better design in the software area, and graphic area.

I do not like the new UI of the app, and I didn't like the old version either, doesn't represent well the Devialet company at all. That is just my opinion.

- Another problem that I have now is the play queue. The music list in the queue is being removed automatically, happens already twice.

- The hissing problem like a mention before is getting worse, specially if I play music through my CD player that is connected with an optical        cable to the Dialog.

- I can't control the volume for an individual Phantom in other rooms. I have 4 Phantom silver at home, 2 are an stereo setup in the living-room, one in dining-room as solo, and the other in the bedroom as solo (now calls mix). The problem now is that if I want to play the same music through all of them, they run at the same volume. I can't control individually the volume of the one in the dining-room or in the bedroom. That was possible before, but not any longer with the new update. This is pretty annoying, please Devialet do something at SAP.

Please return the volume scale as it was before, in my opinion it was much, much better that way.

My wife is so upset  with this system that she want me to return it, I may start to think she may be right. But I do love the concept of this system...a lot! So I am hoping for better updates as soon as possible.

Carlos, I agree with your comments regarding the volume control. I hope Devialet will add an option to adjust with different settings like acoustically linear (means logarithmic), progressive (like now in Fw 1.3.0.x) and degressive (like in fw 1.2.0.x).
Regarding the Spark software, try to use the old version. After you say no to update request you still can use Spark 1.4.1. The new volume courve is adapted to the new scheme as it is an issue of the Phantom firmware. But, can you use the independent multiroom control as before the update? Maybe like this you can calm down other family members.
(02-Sep-2015, 11:47)Carloscdk Wrote: A part of the scale was simply reworked in order to add more "finesse" to the system as per the attached table (old volume vs new volume).

Would you be able to post said table?
"I, for one, welcome our New Firmware overlords."

The Volume control doesn't bother me, but I can't say that the Setup procedure has been improved as suggested (apart from clearer instructions). It's still too easy to end up in a situation where Spark just won't register the presence of a 'moaning' Phantom.

I do appreciate the new UI though, and the more flexible music library management.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Hello. I feel also frustrated about the new volume control. But I would like your comment on the following:
Is it only me, or there is something different with the dynamics of Phantom especially in the lower frequency range? In my opinion the lower part of the frequency spectrum is a bit muffled, lacks the clarity and power it used to have. Overall, the sound is not so spectacular as it used to be. The mids and highs are OK, but I do not find anymore the rich extraordinary sound I used to have.

Thank you.  

Razvan

One phantom, one dialog, Deezer, Tidal, MacOS, iPhone, iPad.