Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(05-Apr-2016, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: I just don't think you're going to be happy with either a Melco or Aurender, certainly not the Melco with the current range of OpenHome control points.
Guillaume

One thing occurred to me earlier.  I have very little idea what an 'OpenHome control point is, or bubble upnp.  OK, I know that there are a bunch of control apps that can be used to control a Melco or similar, but I know very little about their functionality.  I have always assumed that they are all more or less the same as JRemote or iTunes remote.  I've also played with the Naim app for some time.  What I do not know if there is any broad range of functionality with these things, do some of them do anything interesting in terms of playlisting, sorting, searching or whatever? Or are they all much the same?

Ah then there is my own holy grail.....    Track ratings!  The only thing I know of that will deal with track ratings in an iPad app is Aurender's Conductor app.  Does anyone know of anything else?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I too would love to come and may bring a nasty RPI, HiFi Berry with linear PSU and Roon install. If that would be OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(06-Apr-2016, 22:43)NickB Wrote: I too would love to come and may bring a nasty RPI, HiFi Berry with linear PSU and Roon install. If that would be OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alasdair did start his post stating that he may be opening a can of worms.  I'd say can opened!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(06-Apr-2016, 22:42)Confused Wrote: One thing occurred to me earlier.  I have very little idea what an 'OpenHome control point is, or bubble upnp.  OK, I know that there are a bunch of control apps that can be used to control a Melco or similar, but I know very little about their functionality.  I have always assumed that they are all more or less the same as JRemote or iTunes remote.  I've also played with the Naim app for some time.  What I do not know if there is any broad range of functionality with these things, do some of them do anything interesting in terms of playlisting, sorting, searching or whatever? Or are they all much the same?

Ah then there is my own holy grail.....    Track ratings!  The only thing I know of that will deal with track ratings in an iPad app is Aurender's Conductor app.  Does anyone know of anything else?

I don't normally like bumping posts, it's poor forum etiquette I think.   However, I was really interested in seeing if anyone had an answer to the above, so I thought I would just this once.  I was a little worried this post had got lost behind NickB's worm can opening.  I'm now thinking maybe there is no answer to the above, or no positive answers re the track rating issue at least?
(07-Apr-2016, 21:26)Confused Wrote:
(06-Apr-2016, 22:42)Confused Wrote: One thing occurred to me earlier.  I have very little idea what an 'OpenHome control point is, or bubble upnp.  OK, I know that there are a bunch of control apps that can be used to control a Melco or similar, but I know very little about their functionality.  I have always assumed that they are all more or less the same as JRemote or iTunes remote.  I've also played with the Naim app for some time.  What I do not know if there is any broad range of functionality with these things, do some of them do anything interesting in terms of playlisting, sorting, searching or whatever? Or are they all much the same?

I don't normally like bumping posts, it's poor forum etiquette I think.   However, I was really interested in seeing if anyone had an answer to the above, so I thought I would just this once.  I was a little worried this post had got lost behind NickB's worm can opening.  I'm now thinking maybe there is no answer to the above, or no positive answers re the track rating issue at least?

Maybe drop Womaz a note as I'm sure he'll have some Melco control Ap feedback. I imagine he's deeply blissed out with his new speakers though so might be a hard one to get hold of Smile ......

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I too find track rating very useful (1-10 scale), along with criteria-based ("smart") playlists, and multi-device synchronization (if I change something on one device it updates on the others). So I use iTunes as the library manager because it does all this well enough and I haven't seen anything else that does.
I don't use ratings but I have a similar issue. I am addicted to stats (play count and last played). I use them extensively in dynamic playlists.

For this reason alone I will probably never stop using iTunes.

As far as I know no other manager/player has implemented them, and even if they did they would have to import the existing iTunes stats before I would consider leaving iTunes.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
(07-Apr-2016, 21:26)Confused Wrote:

Hi Confused - sorry we are all being very lazy here... so with UPnP you have a UPnP server that typically sits on your NAS (but could be a computer) and you use a UPnP control point to access your music via an iPad or smartphone... take a look at the user guide for Kazoo (a UPnP control point) for example:

http://linn.github.io/kazoo.site/

And this is one of the better ones!

Worth having a look at BubbleUPnP too (you're on Android right?):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_GB

Re track ratings I am not aware of any that support it, even looking at Minimserver (one of the better UPnP servers) I don't see any options here...

http://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html#...%20choices

I might be completely wrong... Rufus?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I'm not aware of rating systems with UPnP either. There may be some UPnP control points that you can add your own track ratings with (Lumin?) but I'm not aware of any method of sharing ratings with other people.
(08-Apr-2016, 11:36)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm not aware of rating systems with UPnP either. There may be some UPnP control points that you can add your own track ratings with (Lumin?) but I'm not aware of any method of sharing ratings with other people.

Even looking at Lumin I don't see any track ratings...

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-app.html

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK