Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(16-Apr-2016, 21:26)Antoine Wrote: In theory that's true, 'bits are bits', in practice though many experience that bit perfect player software can sound different and even the OS the software runs on makes a difference. (unfortunately, I can't wait for the day this all no longer matters and DAC's are immune to jitter and noise from computers and can work with any level of signal integrity once it crosses the critical treshhold of being bit-perfect...)

One thing I know for sure is that there is a significant difference between the sound quality achieved using iTunes on a PC versus alternatives like JRiver or Roon.  To be honest this baffles me a bit.  It is entirely possible to use iTunes in a bit perfect mode, with volume disabled, matching the settings to the required bit length /rate, WASAPI selected in Quick Time etc.  So if this is bit perfect, why does JRiver and Roon sound so much better?  And it is clearly better, I have tried true blind testing of this with a 100% strike rate.  Why is this?  I haven't got a clue to be honest!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Apr-2016, 12:30)Confused Wrote:
(16-Apr-2016, 21:26)Antoine Wrote: In theory that's true, 'bits are bits', in practice though many experience that bit perfect player software can sound different and even the OS the software runs on makes a difference. (unfortunately, I can't wait for the day this all no longer matters and DAC's are immune to jitter and noise from computers and can work with any level of signal integrity once it crosses the critical treshhold of being bit-perfect...)

One thing I know for sure is that there is a significant difference between the sound quality achieved using iTunes on a PC versus alternatives like JRiver or Roon.  To be honest this baffles me a bit.  It is entirely possible to use iTunes in a bit perfect mode, with volume disabled, matching the settings to the required bit length /rate, WASAPI selected in Quick Time etc.  So if this is bit perfect, why does JRiver and Roon sound so much better?  And it is clearly better, I have tried true blind testing of this with a 100% strike rate.  Why is this?  I haven't got a clue to be honest!

Actually, if you have Quicktime still installed on Windows it should be removed immediately.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Apr-2016, 12:22)Confused Wrote:
(17-Apr-2016, 07:01)tategoi Wrote:
(04-Apr-2016, 22:04)Confused Wrote: I'm not sure if I've interpreted this correctly?  If you are connecting a Melco to a Devialet via Ethernet, this would require AIR to be loaded onto the Melco.  AIR comes in different versions for Windows and Mac, but nothing suitable for a Melco running Linux?

Having said that, a Melco somehow running iTunes would be most excellent for my needs.  I just don't see how it could be done?  I presume impossible?

I believe the new Melco app is coming soon, I will cirtainly be interested to see what that looks like.  But that's something for the Melco thread.

Can we have iTunes Library residing in Melco, and using iTunes as the server to serve digital files to the Devialet via Melco's Player LAN port? 

I'd like to avoid outputting Melco via USB as its isolated Ethernet output is supposed to be far superior.
All of the above would be absolutely splendid I think.  The trouble is I just can't see how it would work, there are multiple issues.  For a start, the Melco runs Linux, so although you could put an iTunes library on a Melco, you could not install iTunes itself.  (or not without great difficulty and instability anyway, say using 'WINE' or similar)

Also, the LAN port is designed to feed a Streamer, and the Devialet is not a streamer.  At best a Devialet could perhaps be considered half of a streamer, but it does require AIR, and AIR needs to be installed on a PC or a MAC, there is no Linux version of AIR.

Both iTunes and AIR are installed on a Mac Mini. With LAN ports of the Melco and the Mac connected to the same router/network, and Player port of the Melco to the Devialet. With AIR turned on, iTunes plays digital files residing in the Melco, and serves them directly from Melco to Devialet via the isolated Player port. In this instance the Melco is operating in Network mode. I wonder if this configuration will work.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Thanks for the info Dr Tone! In fact, it looks like my earlier post re selecting WASAPI in Quicktime was wrong, or at least well out of date. I have known for a while that selection of WASAPI can be found in iTunes preferences, and it looks like the link between iTunes and Quicktime has also been gone for a while. I never actually use Quicktime, I have just removed it completely, and iTunes / WASAPI AIR still works fine, completely unaffected by Quicktime's removal. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, you may have saved me from all manner of peril! (Plus, it was nice of Apple not to let anyone know about this)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Picking up on this again, I did have a theory that it was the link between Quicktime and iTunes that caused iTunes sound quality to suffer vs JRiver and others.  Now it appears that iTunes as a standalone player runs WASAPI native, I am even more baffled why iTunes suffers this slight reduction in sound quality.
It has come to my attention that Kinsky can perform the same trick as Roon, in being able to read an iTunes library, including playlists. So this gives rise to the prospect of using a Melco with Kinsky, but still at least being able to create playlists in iTunes and playing then natively with a Melco.

I have zero experience of Kinsky, although I have noted a few negative comments re Kinsky on this forum. Has anyone ever tried this Kinsky iTunes link? Or any general comment re using Kinsky on a Melco?
(18-Apr-2016, 12:33)Confused Wrote: It has come to my attention that Kinsky can perform the same trick as Roon, in being able to read an iTunes library, including playlists.  So this gives rise to the prospect of using a Melco with Kinsky, but still at least being able to create playlists in iTunes and playing then natively with a Melco.

I have zero experience of Kinsky, although I have noted a few negative comments re Kinsky on this forum.  Has anyone ever tried this Kinsky iTunes link?  Or any general comment re using Kinsky on a Melco?

I used Kinsky for many years. It's pretty reliable but not exactly pretty, does the job I suppose. I had no idea it could pick up iTunes playlists.... I am guessing it would need to do this through the UPnP server so either Twonky, Asset or Minimserver or the like.... 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
In my quest I have learnt many things. Here are two of them, firstly Kinsky can read iTunes playlists, secondly you can connect a PC to a Melco and control the Melco using Kinsky loaded onto the PC. These two together made me think that here might be a workable solution to my quest, something that would talk to a high quality source like a Melco and know the secrets of my iTunes playlists. So tonight I have tried loading Kinsky on my PC, just to get a feel for its operability. To be honest, I am utterly staggered by the lack of functionality in Kinksky. Yes, it picks up iTunes playlists, this is good, but once you have the said playlist that is just about where the functionality ends, you can't, for example, sort on artist or create a simple track listing, it doesn't even show the artist in the playlist view, just a bunch of tiles with minimal artwork and the track title. Elsewhere I had been moaning a bit about some features lacking in Roon, but in comparison to this Roon is utterly epic!
(19-Apr-2016, 21:41)Confused Wrote: In my quest I have learnt many things.  Here are two of them, firstly Kinsky can read iTunes playlists, secondly you can connect a PC to a Melco and control the Melco using Kinsky loaded onto the PC.  These two together made me think that here might be a workable solution to my quest, something that would talk to a high quality source like a Melco and know the secrets of my iTunes playlists.  So tonight I have tried loading Kinsky on my PC, just to get a feel for its operability.  To be honest, I am utterly staggered by the lack of functionality in Kinksky.  Yes, it picks up iTunes playlists, this is good, but once you have the said playlist that is just about where the functionality ends, you can't, for example, sort on artist or create a simple track listing, it doesn't even show the artist in the playlist view, just a bunch of tiles with minimal artwork and the track title.  Elsewhere I had been moaning a bit about some features lacking in Roon, but in comparison to this Roon is utterly epic!

I couldn't see you using Kinsky somehow... Still it works well and is reliable. Do you know I've never created a playlist?! I imagine I am not alone here. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
To bring an old thread back to life...

Sorry for my absence chaps, last minute offer I couldn't miss.

So, First Saturday of June. 11am until Close, informal Devialetchat open day at OAC to experiment with various methods of getting digital music into a Devialet.

I've managed to bag something new as well that will be something of a first-look for those interested. I'm embargoed from telling you what it is until the day but it's going to be a two box affair with clocking and all the trimmings.... oh and ROON integration too

Alasdair