Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Mini (El Capitan) -> USB -> Dev200 problem
I don't get those every time either, sometimes there is nothing in the log.

Sometimes the distortion seems to coincide withe log messages like this (100s of them)

27/10/2015 09:51:47.203 WindowServer[187]: *** Dumping Gesture Focus Records ***
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 208013677084: ++ Phase Began type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 928279109484: ++ Phase Began type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 928290718209: -- Phase Ended type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 986033979807: ++ Phase Began type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 986157573591: -- Phase Ended type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37
27/10/2015 09:51:47.204 WindowServer[187]: 1455028422401: ++ Phase Began type: 6 conn: 0x11b0f, window 0x37

I have just had an email from Devialet in which they say it has nothing to do with them, must be changes Apple have made.
They might well be correct, there are plenty of complaints on the internet about El Capitan.

One difference between you and me is that my mini is headless, I am controlling it using screen sharing from an iMac.

I am thinking of buying an apple tv and using airplay.

Can't use AIR, can't use USB, here comes Airplay.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
I would agree with trying another USB cable. Also, try correcting your Permissions. I use a program called Cocktail which does correction of permissions and clears certain caches. You can correct Permissions using Disc Utility however.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
Well I had a drop out this afternoon; on the first song I played. Nothing about iTunes in the console.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(27-Oct-2015, 19:09)avta Wrote: I would agree with trying another USB cable. Also, try correcting your Permissions.  I use a program called Cocktail which does correction of permissions and clears certain caches. You can correct Permissions using Disc Utility however.

Thank you for this.

I cleared the caches simply by renaming ~/Library/Caches and rebooted.

This has certainly had an effect on the large number of messages in the console log.

It's a bit early to say whether it has had an effect on audio USB.

I understand that repairing permissions in Disk Utility is no longer available in El Capitan. Presumably Apple believe it has no effect.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
I had the same problems as you have after upgrading to El capitan after sometime of use it starting to get static sounds.
Read at other forums that many have the same problems with usb dac's, apple have change something with the usb drivers.
So until they get a working update i have downgraded to Yosemite now everything is fine again.
Qnap Ts-451 -> Auralic Aries->Wireworld Digital Gold Starlight 7 xlr -> Devialet 200 -> Purist Audio Design Venustas -> Sonus faber Cremona M
Just got an update on iTunes. It says it fixes overall stability. So far (1 song) it's working
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
So this does not solve your problem but use it as a data point. I run a 2012 Mac Mini with 16 GB memory and i7 Quad core processor.

SSD boot drive. All my music is on a Synology NAS. I am using an Apple Extreme Router as my WIFI source, and the Mac Mini is connected to the Synology NAS via WIFI 802.11n.

Apple Extreme downstairs has the Synology NAS connected via ethernet. the second Apple Extreme is upstairs and my Mac Mini connects to the 5GHZ network on it wirelessly.

Mac Mini has a Lightspeed USB cable connected to a REGEN connected to my Devialet 400s.

I use Roon as my music playback software.

I am able to stream music from Tidal via Roon, playback 24/192, DSD64 and standard 16/44.1 files from the NAS with no hiccups, no pauses and no drop outs.

So I do think you should consider swapping USB cables or trying a different USB port on the Mac Mini. My Mac Mini is also running headless.

I would not throw in the towel yet, your setup should work fine.

Are you running other software programs on the Mac Mini?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
An update...

Clearing the caches wasn't a complete solution. It had an effect for a while but eventually the distortion and the log messages returned.

However I now believe I have a solution. I just need to run it for a while longer to be sure.

I will report back later when I am certain that it is ok. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

And yes, it was to do with a piece of software running on the mini, something that you would never think would have an effect on USB audio.

More later ....
(01-Nov-2015, 08:39)canyelles Wrote: An update...

Clearing the caches wasn't a complete solution. It had an effect for a while but eventually the distortion and the log messages returned.

However I now believe I have a solution. I just need to run it for a while longer to be sure.

I will report back later when I am certain that it is ok. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

And yes, it was to do with a piece of software running on the mini, something that you would never think would have an effect on USB audio.

More later ....

Ahhhh the suspence!
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The suspense is over. My solution didn't work.

I HAVE solved the riddle of the Gesture Focus records in the console log. I have got rid of them but I still have distortion on USB after a period of time.

As I said my mac mini is headless and I am controlling it using screen sharing from an iMac. OS X is rather restrictive on the screen resolutions you can use. In order to get a higher resolution view of the mac mini I have been using some software called switchresx. This software was definitely causing the messages in the log. I uninstalled the software.

The time just now when I got the distortion there is nothing in the console log so it is back to square one.

I am going to check very carefully all the software running on the mini. I suppose the issue could still be a change that apple has made to USB in El Capitan.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have tried different cables, different ports etc. No good.

Hexen, sounds like you do have the same problem as me. I am going to try to go forward though, not back to yosemite.