Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco N1Z vs Aurender N10 vs CAD CAT
Why has music playback become so so complicated?......and does this put Joe Public off getting a better system. I think it could.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I don't think this is all true. The Mutec 1.2 and the MC-3+ USB use the XMOS chipset just like our Devialets do. The XMOS line are the most used USB chipsets out there. Drivers are only required for operating systems that don't natively support USB audio 2.0, like Windows. Mac or Linux based devices also don't require a driver.

If the device works with your Devialet USB port I'm sure it'll also perfectly work with the Mutec.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hello Antoine.

Very good point.

I have made some bad experience with simplified LINUX based systems, Windows embeded, WHS (HFX for example), Android, iOS, etc.

So in fact we need to do some more research or tests if the USB-MUTECs will work with MELCO, AURENDER, etc.

Besides, please note that the MUTECS for sure need the 5 Volts power from the USB output to work!

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
Again I don't agree. If it would be a problem most of the USB DAC's out there wouldn't work. Power is a standard requirement in the USB specs so this shouldn't be an issue as well. Also there's plenty of USB powered DAC's, the Mutec's aren't really that different.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
If someone going to OAC's streamer day has a Mutec MC-3 +USB, then we could simply try it? (A bit of a long shot I guess)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It is clearly stated in the Mutec MC3+ USB manual (see page 13) that USB drivers are only required for Windows.

None are required for Mac OS.

http://mutec-net.com/downloads/manuals/M...screen.pdf
(04-May-2016, 16:46)Confused Wrote: If someone going to OAC's streamer day has a Mutec MC-3 +USB, then we could simply try it?  (A bit of a long shot I guess)

I may go, and if I do I can bring my Mutec along. I only have very modest cables though Smile
I am not using it at the moment.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(04-May-2016, 18:45)f1eng Wrote:
(04-May-2016, 16:46)Confused Wrote: If someone going to OAC's streamer day has a Mutec MC-3 +USB, then we could simply try it?  (A bit of a long shot I guess)

I may go, and if I do I can bring my Mutec along. I only have very modest cables though Smile

If your cable is good enough to run a printer, it's good enough for me Frank!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-May-2016, 15:47)Antoine Wrote: Again I don't agree. If it would be a problem most of the USB DAC's out there wouldn't work. Power is a standard requirement in the USB specs so this shouldn't be an issue as well. Also there's plenty of USB powered DAC's, the Mutec's aren't really that different.

Here I disagree, Antoine.

As many of us have experienced the Devialets do NOT need the 5 Volts power from the source to use the USB input. Moreover it is a known fact that the power supply inside an USB cable can degrade the SQ. Because of that some people have modified their USB cables for the use with a Devialet to improve the SQ. Additionally some reference grade USB cables (such as the fabulous JCAT Ref. USB) come with two cables (one for the signal only, the second to provide the power (which must not be connected to a Devialet)).

Furthermore some dedicated high end USB add-on cards come with jumpers to switch off the power supply of the USB output for better SQ.

I didn't mean with my hint that the MUTECs are special but I thought it is worth a reminder to those who use an USB connection without the 5 Volts with their Devialets. In fact this caused us some serious headache the first time we tried to install the MUTEC MC-1.2 between our source and the Devialet while still using a JCAT USB card with disabled 5 Volts.... Cool

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
(04-May-2016, 18:59)Confused Wrote:
(04-May-2016, 18:45)f1eng Wrote:

If your cable is good enough to run a printer, it's good enough for me Frank!

I compared a Canon USB printer cable to a Chord Sarum TA USB cable last year and the latter was much better. I was very surprised as I'm definitely a cable sceptic.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)