Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
My Phantom Golds Arrive Friday!!!!!!!
(31-Jul-2016, 16:18)Hi Dkoretzi agree with your girl friend..was in Westfield London yesterday morning to listen to Gold before making any stupid decision to pull the trigger for Gold...listened to several tracks from the recent Greg Porter on Gold... And did not pick any major difference with Silver that will justify swapping any of my five silver to Gold or buying any extra Gold. But I must admit that if I was a new buyer out there, willing to get into phantoms world, I will push the limit for a Gold. Excellent work Devialet.. But not quite there in terms of software and radio services.angenet Wrote:
(30-Jul-2016, 17:39)Mr_Bill Wrote: Wow on the new Golds!  Congrats!!
Thanks for the post and please do tell us more about the sound difference between silver and gold when set up optimally in a two channel set up.
You are making history with your first comparison between the 2!

I'm not quite planting a flag on a mountaintop, but l did blindly drop $6K+ sight and sound unseen... so here goes:

I have a 2 channel Silver setup in my master bedroom. I have a 2 channel Gold setup in my living room. The rooms have 10 foot ceilings (3.2M) and unfortunately for speakers (but fortunately for my view) floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooking the water (with triple pane hurricane glass). So.... the acoustics are not perfect...

That said... here are my thoughts:

-The titanium tweeters make for a punchier, crisper sound at the mid and top. It's definitely individual preference, but I like it.

-The bass seems significantly stronger

-The one downside of the Gold vs Silver, is that the silvers have a bit more of a lighter, airy sound on the highs that gives it a bit more natural of a feel. This may be break-in... but it's noticeable.

-Overall, it's not a HUGE difference between speakers. My girlfriend couldn't hear any difference Smile

So if you have silvers... don't worry, you're not missing a transformational sound difference.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(31-Jul-2016, 16:20)dkoretz Wrote: We live in Edgewater neighborhood in Miami. That was with the blinds down. Here's a better picture of the view

Wow! Awesome view and the place looks great!! Thank you for posting your opinion here about the Gold Phantoms. Like some others, I was expecting a launch of mini Phantom to do surround duties but the Gold announcement did question my Silvers' purchase.
Devialet Expert Pro CI 220 + Marantz SR7013 | Kef Reference 201/2 R200c E305 E301 (5.1.4) |
Marantz Consolette |
(01-Aug-2016, 10:10)WTree Wrote:
(31-Jul-2016, 16:20)dkoretz Wrote: We live in Edgewater neighborhood in Miami. That was with the blinds down. Here's a better picture of the view

Wow! Awesome view and the place looks great!! Thank you for posting your opinion here about the Gold Phantoms. Like some others, I was expecting a launch of mini Phantom to do surround duties but the Gold announcement did question my Silvers' purchase.

Mini phantoms would be great!   Big Grin
Mini surround phantoms would be great ! Is is official or just rumors ?
My dealer is closed for the week - i should get my 2 golds when it reopens - can't wait !
Great view by the way !!!
My understanding is that there are no mini phantoms in the work
Hi dkoretz,

Congratulations on the Gold Phantoms! They do look good and i agree there is something to be said when the side woofers are white...I like it.

I see your room is quite large and open with flat reflective surfaces. How is the bass response for your room...do you find the bass output is lessened compared to say a smaller room with carpet? I have a room similar to yours and find the bass output from my silver pair is not as massive as what some folks experience, but I think it is due to cancellation.
(01-Aug-2016, 11:49)Olivier4444 Wrote: Mini surround phantoms would be great ! Is is official or just rumors ?
My dealer is closed for the week - i should get my 2 golds when it reopens - can't wait !
Great view by the way !!!

To be clear, No mini phantoms announced, and not even rumors... just people saying what they want.

I doubt they are coming anytime soon....
(02-Aug-2016, 01:11)kameraguy Wrote: Hi dkoretz,

Congratulations on the Gold Phantoms! They do look good and i agree there is something to be said when the side woofers are white...I like it.

I see your room is quite large and open with flat reflective surfaces. How is the bass response for your room...do you find the bass output is lessened compared to say a smaller room with carpet? I have a room similar to yours and find the bass output from my silver pair is not as massive as what some folks experience, but I think it is due to cancellation.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I definitely don't get "massive" bass. My other home has a 1000W dedicated sub-woofer and it's MUCH stronger bass...
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showt...p?t=191000

if you are in UK
If you were to compare your golds against the silvers at a volume of 70 would you say the golds are any louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk