Poll: Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.33%
77 58.33%
No
15.15%
20 15.15%
Undecided or can't hear a difference
26.52%
35 26.52%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 8.0 firmware
Nice charts which clearly show the difference in FR when ICM is activated.

Of course when it comes to comparing how systems sound with different components or strings then FR is only part of the story. As TH says the charts show FR at a set volume and don't show how what happens at different volumes (affect of DPM and/or ICM) or how the system handles dynamics or phase.

The output of most Amps are pretty similar in terms of FR (usually almost flat across the audible range) but I don't think many would argue that they all sound identical.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(24-May-2015, 08:34)Chris Marshall Wrote: Happy with v8 now I've got the config right.

Maybe we need a thread to explain all the configuration tips needed that Devialet don't tell us about.

I don't get how they can think that the subsonic filter should be on by default and give you no option to turn ICM off unless using the remote.

Cheers

Chris

Actually subsonic filter is on by default but if you look at the explanation on subsonic filter (when putting the mouse on the field) it so written factory setting disabled so it is confusing. I think with the previous configurator it was off by default so the on by default seems to be a bug and it is better to follow the explanations and disable it.
At least this is what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(24-May-2015, 11:20)philoouu Wrote:
(24-May-2015, 08:34)Chris Marshall Wrote: Happy with v8 now I've got the config right.

Maybe we need a thread to explain all the configuration tips needed that Devialet don't tell us about.

I don't get how they can think that the subsonic filter should be on by default and give you no option to turn ICM off unless using the remote.

Cheers

Chris

Actually subsonic filter is on by default but if you look at the explanation on subsonic filter (when putting the mouse on the field) it so written factory setting disabled so it is confusing. I think with the previous configurator it was off by default so the on by default seems to be a bug and it is better to follow the explanations and disable it.
At least this is what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, it used to be 'off' by default.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
V8 is superior in my system. I listen to mainly classical at lowish volume (-25) and there seems greater presence/clarity with instruments than 7.1.1. Some don't like v8 and have commented on sibilance but I have not encountered this. A change in DSP set up then? A lot of the other stuff from this update seems of limited value but I have to say the sound is now even more thrilling! 7.1.3 did not seem as well balanced.
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
As I posted elsewhere, I prefer 8.0.0 to 7.1.3 because I found 7.1.3 too hot in my system.  Interestingly, I re-downloaded 8.0.0 from my original download which I did minutes after the official release and website update.  The re-installation removed a 'scrim' noise/distortion from the upper midrange/treble.  I normally would A/B between 7.1.1 and 8.0.0, but with my new Audioprana and SP/DIF-AES/EBU link, I am having too much fun just listening.
BTW I turn off DPM and power conservation options in my configurations.

Kerry 
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
I consider that V8 comes with many regressions compared to V7.1.1 (or 7.1.2).

- Trebble is too brilliant with a kind of unpleasant echo in some circumstances.
- Notes are less cut out  and less intent => lack of attacks, lack of articulation and structure
- Timbres/tone too colored and do not sound natural, especially on acoustic instruments and voices (piano, wind instruments)
- Bass has less authority : bass notes are less sharp, less dry, less taut, less distinct, less dynamic, weak and feeble
- Medium is put forward and too present. Very soft and consensual but to the detriment of the richness of the music (details) and takes the precedence over the other ranges.
- All these elements have significant implications on the balance of the ranges as well as the general coherence.

There certainly was a bit of harshness to be fixed in 7.1 but not at this cost. I stay in V7.1 (.1 or .2) until Devialet assesses and fixes these regressive choices.

My few cents!    
Turntable VPI Traveler (Dynav. 10x5) - Drive Moon Néo 260D - Devialet D400 - LS Apertura Edena - Phono cable Nordost Blue Heaven - Modulation cable AES/EBU Kharma Matrix Reference - Loudspeaker cables Kharma Matrix Reference
I had to vote "No", for the simple fact that for me, 8.0 does not work properly with SAM, giving strange low frequency bass rumble sounds, even without music playing. Having said that, initial impressions are that RAM, a feature only available with 8.0, is superb, so it's not all bad news with the new firmware.

The "elephant in the room" here is 7.1.3. With my 8.0 issues, I am now trying 7.1.3. It's early days, but so far I think this is the best I have ever heard my system. So for me, if 8.1 fixes the 8.0 bugs, lets me use RAM and sounds like 7.1.3, then I for one would be very happy. Perhaps a lot to ask though? This begs the question as to what is 7.1.3 beta? Does this beta version include something that might be used in 8.X upgrades? If not, why release a beta version just prior to the major 8.0 release at Munich. Very puzzling! I really wish Devialet would provide a few clues as to what they are trying hear, they ask for feedback from us, but offer very little information in return. Why not?

I propose that we might need a 7.1.3 vs 8.1 vote in due course?
I agree that its frustrating that Devialet don't say more (or even anything) about what they're trying to achieve sound-wise with new releases of the firmware.  

If this poll is anything to go by 8.0 has clearly not been a success as only just over half the respondents say they 'like' the sound.  If you then add in the users who tried it and liked the sound but then had to revert to earlier versions because of software bugs with 8.0 the result must surely be very disappointing for Devialet.  I'm also sticking with 7.1.3 for now.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Who said they have made any changes to the sound?

I am quite enjoying watching all the posts about which sounds best and waiting for an announcement that all the changes are as I suspect functional only !!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(31-May-2015, 15:03)NickB Wrote: Who said they have made any changes to the sound?

I am quite enjoying watching all the posts about which sounds best and waiting for an announcement that all the changes are as I suspect functional only !!!!!

I'm sure you'll ridicule this (and I don't care) but functional changes wouldn't rule out any unintended changes in SQ. A manufacturer like PS Audio for example is very aware of this and test their DAC firmware updates on this aspect as well.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with the SQ of 8.0, running it now with DPM and ICM off, no SAM, USB only. Didn't feel the desire to experiment with DPM on/off yet. Since manually disabling DPM and ICM I'm not even sure I hear a difference between 7.1.3 or 8.0. And it's not I can't hear smaller differences, just an example: by coincidence, a few days back, I read about a tip for music servers to set the CPU power phase control setting in the BIOS to 'extreme' and I haven't got a clue why this would work out into a SQ difference upstream but lo and behold there's greater attack/feel of impact in the lower registers. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands