Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PEM's affect on things...
The Power Entry Modules found in our Devialets are found in many devices today. And primarily for reasons that protect the manufacturer and reduce warranty & repair costs. They offer some measure of internal EMI filtration while contaminating outside the unit with additional EMI that goes untreated. You should trust that they have a significant role in contributing coloration to what you're hearing SQ-wise. And if you haven't heard the Devialet sans one of them you're in the impossible position of agreeing or denying it. You simply cannot know! I never heard it either... til it went missing on many, many components over the years. That's when I had an "so your not as innocuous as you would have me believe" moment. I've yet to find a power component, like an amp, that didn't respond favorably to a PEMectomy! You can simply have no idea whatsoever what the PEM is adding until it's gone... sad but ture!

I've never been in a big rush to remove these things from source components tho I'm careful about using other filters with them as their effects are cumulative. And given time, if I like a specific source component I will lose the internal PEM in favor of a simple, albeit high quality replacement IEC terminal in time.

Most high-end/high-power amplifiers won't be caught dead with an onboard PEM! And there's a VERY good reason for that! While they do little to affect a high-end power cords shielding, harmonics and positive SQ attributes, they choke the crap out of it's speed and response times! Make amps slow to respond to fast-changing transitional demands when high power is called for mui pronto! That last little 30mm from PEM inlet-to-outlet has about the same current handling ability as 16ga AWG OFC pure copper wiring. My 2M 9ga high-current power cord measures "0" Ohms from wall receptacle pin to IEC female socket. The Devialet PEM measures 3.5 Ohms in 28mm! So yes, you're hearing the improvement the new power cord promised except in response times. The cord can NEVER over-power or outrun the choke resistance in the PEM! And while I haven't confirmed the same things occurs with DPM on I'm reasonably certain its occurring there as well. There's a very real reason I can't like DPM and I've felt since day-one that the PEM/DPM were a direct and/or aggravating cause. PEM without DPM was tolerable. With DPM on I can't stand it. Its subtle to be sure but it grates on me that much of the speed is missing when DPM is used and I'm reasonably convinced some of it will disappear with the PEM. Nothing I can do about DPM except not use it. But the PEM won't be rejoining the Devialet for the trip home.

People running additional line filters, conditioners and re-conditioners are also risking an even greater hit. PEMs were never designed to be used with any other 'pre-filter'... line voltage only. And results can be nil, moderate or intolerable when combined. No one here would be the first to swap out an existing line conditioner for one they like better only to discover the original one was perfect but simply incompatible with the PEM being used. My approach is simpler, ie; high-end line components and passive line conditioning. Nothing to fail, heat up, create noise or go buzz in the night and blindingly FAST current response times!

I find no fault with how anyone else does things but wanted to explain to those who have asked why I dislike PEM's so vehemently as I've stated in a couple posts.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
manoet, you have been all over the posting lately.

for someone who was ready to give up his devialet, im glad you seem to be enjoying yourself
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(12-Aug-2015, 23:59)completeluxury Wrote: manoet, you have been all over the posting lately.

for someone who was ready to give up his devialet, im glad you seem to be enjoying yourself

Yeah I'm caught up with all I can do till the plating shop gives me back my Dev. Once its back I'll have projects again and get back to one-a-day posts.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
you have an ETA on that cover?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
"week to 10 days" Today was one week.
im actually in a cabinetry phase at the moment.

im moving to the theatre and i need to build a shelf that is sized to fit all the audio gear and a good AV cabinet is exxpensive!
(12-Aug-2015, 23:51)Manoet Wrote: The Power Entry Modules found in our Devialets are found in many devices today. And primarily for reasons that protect the manufacturer and reduce warranty & repair costs. They offer some measure of internal EMI filtration while contaminating outside the unit with additional EMI that goes untreated. You should trust that they have a significant role in contributing coloration to what you're hearing SQ-wise. And if you haven't heard the Devialet sans one of them you're in the impossible position of agreeing or denying it. You simply cannot know! I never heard it either... til it went missing on many, many components over the years. That's when I had an "so your not as innocuous as you would have me believe" moment. I've yet to find a power component, like an amp, that didn't respond favorably to a PEMectomy! You can simply have no idea whatsoever what the PEM is adding until it's gone... sad but ture!

I've never been in a big rush to remove these things from source components tho I'm careful about using other filters with them as their effects are cumulative. And given time, if I like a specific source component I will lose the internal PEM in favor of a simple, albeit high quality replacement IEC terminal in time.

Most high-end/high-power amplifiers won't be caught dead with an onboard PEM! And there's a VERY good reason for that! While they do little to affect a high-end power cords shielding, harmonics and positive SQ attributes, they choke the crap out of it's speed and response times! Make amps slow to respond to fast-changing transitional demands when high power is called for mui pronto! That last little 30mm from PEM inlet-to-outlet has about the same current handling ability as 16ga AWG OFC pure copper wiring. My 2M 9ga high-current power cord measures "0" Ohms from wall receptacle pin to IEC female socket. The Devialet PEM measures 3.5 Ohms in 28mm! So yes, you're hearing the improvement the new power cord promised except in response times. The cord can NEVER over-power or outrun the choke resistance in the PEM! And while I haven't confirmed the same things occurs with DPM on I'm reasonably certain its occurring there as well. There's a very real reason I can't like DPM and I've felt since day-one that the PEM/DPM were a direct and/or aggravating cause. PEM without DPM was tolerable. With DPM on I can't stand it. Its subtle to be sure but it grates on me that much of the speed is missing when DPM is used and I'm reasonably convinced some of it will disappear with the PEM. Nothing I can do about DPM except not use it. But the PEM won't be rejoining the Devialet for the trip home.

People running additional line filters, conditioners and re-conditioners are also risking an even greater hit. PEMs were never designed to be used with any other 'pre-filter'... line voltage only. And results can be nil, moderate or intolerable when combined. No one here would be the first to swap out an existing line conditioner for one they like better only to discover the original one was perfect but simply incompatible with the PEM being used. My approach is simpler, ie; high-end line components and passive line conditioning. Nothing to fail, heat up, create noise or go buzz in the night and blindingly FAST current response times!

I find no fault with how anyone else does things but wanted to explain to those who have asked why I dislike PEM's so vehemently as I've stated in a couple posts.

Manoet, 

Thanks for this report! 

I thought about this ie changing but didn't really dare to do anything but thanks to you my diy has been kicked in to gear again (will change speaker pssts). Previously I changed the filtered IEC to just an unfiltered version (Furutech) with great results. I can confirm that if you already have an AC filter (box multi outlets) in the chain, removing the filter IEC filter have good gains mostly in terms of dynamics.

Removing the Schurter filter in Devialet is it easy or it need some more complicated surgery?

Keep it up/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Removal of the Schurter PEM isn't hard per se but it is a fiddly/fidgety affair. In my case made easier with the primary board already out and free of the Devialet enclosure. This pic shows the PEM, its line & neutral outlet spades and ground spade (center/bottom). First you'll need to remove the power control board which was mentioned in another post in the last day or two and only tool needed for that is a Torx 8 bit IIRC. The 6" needle-nose vise grips (<$10 online) are what I used for Schurter removal as it helps to have 3 hands and the locking provision provides that much needed 3rd while doing this. You can't pinch both sides of the Schurter retaining clips in at once so I loosely locked the vise Grips on one side first, flush with the Schurter side case and the VG's locked on the opposing corner then 'rock' that pinched clip side outwards till its free of the rear panel IEC cut-out on the side you're working on. Then repeat on opposite side. Might take a few attempts as sometimes the free side clip clicks back into the case and locks again while trying to get the other side out. But once you start gently rocking and pulling outwards you'll develop the 'secret handshake' and have it out in short order. Pay close/careful attention to Vise Grip jaws when working near the Opt 2 inlet (immediately right of Schurter when looking down on this area). Left side of Schurter is wide open and free of obstructions.

My plan from here is to use high-current wiring into the Furutch FI-06 Rhodium using its built-in rear outlet wire clamping provision. At the opposite end of those short wires I'll solder 6.3mm male spades (same as on Schurter outlet end) to the wires and attach them to the female spade connection on lower chassis PCB for ground and upper power control PCB for line & neutral. Future R&R's at that point remain identical to OEM setup, ie; "quick-disconnect." Just be aware of the original PEM printed schematic with regards to which side outlet blades are line/neutral. Hope this helps!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

you know its funny... so many people on forums come out with comments like "you dont need power conditioners, the people who make this expensive amplifier equipment know how to build devices such that it doesnt matter" n junk like that

turns out nope, they just put shitty filters in!
As Schurters go these are expensive as hell. A WHOPPING $3.17 each in lots of 1k! Cheap ones are under a buck-a-pop! I read an article on these not too long ago. Manufacturers use them to prevent warranty issues and little else. To them its primarily a "pre-fuse" ahead of the power board. Apparently worked pretty well for Vincent too... NOT! :-) Truth be known its possible it CAUSED his issue! And truly high-end amp makers wouldn't be caught dead with one of these onboard! I understand their use in source equipment and they don't bother me much there. But with serious current-sucking equipment its just not gonna do it for me. I mean zero ohms in my 80 inch power cord with terminations and 2.5 Ohms in just 1 inch of filter!?! C'mon man!