Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom/Dialog update 1.4.0.5
(18-Oct-2015, 12:01)angenet Wrote:
(18-Oct-2015, 11:09)yesgrey Wrote: The bugs are not the worst. What I find unacceptable is that they release a new firmware, they force them on the customer (it happened with me, I had no option to avoid installing it because I was setting up my Phantom and Dialog for the first time), and then when they discovered that the firmware was not good they did nothing to revert the equipment to the previous state! They simply say: by middle next week a solution might show up, and lots of people here have been getting this reply for quite a while!... Why not doing something as simple as renumbering the previous firmware and install it on the equipment if their software does not allow to go back to an older revision?

I'm also a software and firmware developer, I understand the bugs, my code sometimes also have some, it's part of the process, but my customers have the option to install any firmware they want, like many other manufacturers do.

I understand they want to make this as easy as possible to the end-user, because some of them are not that computer proficient (or computer nerds, if you prefer. Big Grin ), but at least give it as an option for the few that are. I think Devialet is forgetting that an equipment like Phantom is very tempting for people like us!...

Hi

I also don't understand why people are having lot of trouble setting up their system...

Please remember, the fact that internet is working at home doesn't mean that the network is properly setup...people should look deep into their network configuration etc...before starting to blame Devialet...

I started with two silvers and never got any issue.. when my third silver was added two weeks later.. had a simple issue when I tried to setup the third phantom in my study upstair.. but when I moved the device near to Dialog in the living room.. everything went smoothly... and since never had any issue whatsoever...

I'm even surprised by people not able to downlaod an update... don't understand...

It is always good to reset any network device and start from scratch ...especially when adding a new device in the network... swithng the router.. off, turn off all devices and start again will alway be good...This simple procedure has alway helped me  with my 34 network devices in my house...

Yes of course, we need Devialet to work hard to simplify the UI of their devices.. and yes, when you spend that type of cash on a system.. you need it to work smoothly... you don't want to run into trouble ...I remember, it took me one month to complete the configuration of my first Denon AV receiver which cost me aoround £1500.. and it was frustrating ...

Thx

No issues with setting up or updating here either. All went very smooth and fast. I guess the quality of your home network and distances between devices can be very much of influence. 

Only issue I have is that after some weeks the entire setup becomes unstable (e.g. hiccups in streaming while internet connection as well as Tidal work fine on other devices). Then I just reset everything from Spark and 2 minutes later it's smooth as normal. Maybe slightly annoying but I can live with it for now, knowing Devialet is working hard on the software.
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch
Previously, when I had only one Phantom, the setup went very smooth without any problems. Furthermore, even with my two phantoms and the Dialog with different firmwares, the setup always went smoothly, the problems that I got were only when playing. I tried the official reset several times, and wireless simply didn't work. The setup runs fine, but then the Phantom with firmware version different from Dialog does not get any sound when playing with Spark (only optical gave sound on both).
When using an ethernet cable to connect the phantoms to my router finally both Phantoms played when using Spark. However, I had dropouts on the old firmware one every 3/4 s, which made it unusable. I discovered lately that the problem was due to be using Dialog's optical input, and it was fixed when I started using Phantom's optical input instead, but that's not good, because I had to move my sound card close to the Phantom so I could connect the optical cable.

I had several problems when I tried to setup my Phantoms without a router (I discussed this in another topic), but I finally quit and realized that if I decide to keep the Phantoms I will buy a router, because all the other solutions I have tried are somehow limited. For example, the Tidal integration in Spark only works when I use a router.
(19-Oct-2015, 13:41)yesgrey Wrote: Previously, when I had only one Phantom, the setup went very smooth without any problems. Furthermore, even with my two phantoms and the Dialog with different firmwares, the setup always went smoothly, the problems that I got were only when playing. I tried the official reset several times, and wireless simply didn't work. The setup runs fine, but then the Phantom with firmware version different from Dialog does not get any sound when playing with Spark (only optical gave sound on both).
When using an ethernet cable to connect the phantoms to my router finally both Phantoms played when using Spark. However, I had dropouts on the old firmware one every 3/4 s, which made it unusable. I discovered lately that the problem was due to be using Dialog's optical input, and it was fixed when I started using Phantom's optical input instead, but that's not good, because I had to move my sound card close to the Phantom so I could connect the optical cable.

I had several problems when I tried to setup my Phantoms without a router (I discussed this in another topic), but I finally quit and realized that if I decide to keep the Phantoms I will buy a router, because all the other solutions I have tried are somehow limited. For example, the Tidal integration in Spark only works when I use a router.

Hi

Clearly, your problem is essentially an network issue...

To enjoy a smooth service, you will need  a router ... don't know how much a router cost in your area.. but you will need a router even a used one will do the job...

The router is essential for this type of service (streaming with Tidal or Qobuz) and moreover, the router authorise  and manage UDP connections which are essential for the services...

The best I can advise is to get a router, such as Apple airport express or other.

My setup is quite simple... the two Silvers and the dialog are connected in the living room in a stereo confi. and my TV is connected to the dialog via optical... (other HDMI sources are linked to the TV.- Blu-ray, Sat receiver etc..)  my Sonos ZP is connected to one Silver via Optical... and a CD player is connected to the second silver via optical... and both silvers accepts any Bluetooth connection from my family IPad, iphones etc... No issues so far...

The solo sillver in my study is linked to the TV upstair via Optical and also accept any bluetooth devices  and no problem...

As for two different firmware version.. in your devices.. you can force the upgrade by reseting the phantom..reset to factory default and run the setup on one device.. only..and that may kick on the firmware upgrade...and repeat the procedure for other device  and  if everything has the same version of Firmware.. you can restard the setup for boths speakers.

Good Luck.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Maybe my email was not very clear, but I am using a router now. I borrowed one from a friend which I will use while deciding if I will keep my Phantoms or not. If I decide to keep them, then I will buy my own and return my friend's one. Wink

Regarding the firmware, I'm afraid that won't work, because Devialet pulled out the 1.4.0.5 firmware, so, I guess there is no way of upgrading it. Anyway, I won't risk doing it, because now it is working with the optical connected to the Phantom with the previous firmware instead of Dialog.

Which firmware are you using in your equipments?
Hi
I don't understand ...really... But I'm quite certain that the root of your problem is the network...

If you have control to your network ,..then it will be good to reset your Adsl or broadband router/ Modem to default settings....

If you don't have a control to your network.. If you have a single cable entry your flat/apartment ... Then you need to speak to your network admin or ISP... Telling them the services your are running in your house..and ask them to give you access to to be able to manipulate the network services....

It could be your network admin has limited your network services to strict minimum...

Like I said before, the fact that internet is working doesn't mean that the network is properly configured for all services...

All my 3 silvers and the dialog are running version 1.4.0.5...and no issues whatsoever ...

Good luck
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Hi
Maybe, I don't know, but I don't think so... If that was the problem then why does it work with ethernet cables and not with wireless provided by Dialog? Furthermore, why does it work when I connect the optical to the Phantom with firmware 1.3.0.31 and not to Dialog?

Like you said, all your equipment have same firmware versions, I'm in an atypical situation... After reporting this to Devialet they asked me more details about my setup, so I guess they are investigating why such thing is happening... anyway, since I found a way of making it work I'm not that worried now, but I still think it was frustrating all the time I spent until I discovered a working solution... Wink
Any news regarding the firmware update?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
no news yet... I keep emailing, Facebooking, and tweating to them...
The only 'semi-stable' way I've been able to figure out to play music is through bluetooth.

fingers' crossed for this week...
I've also had a very unstable setup until I found that if I turned of the bluetooth on all phantoms, trashed the bluetooth connect to speaker memory from all devices I've been controlling from, and just run deezer through dialog it works perfect. System seems fragile from jumping between different ways of controlling the music.

Bluetooth appears like a "song" in spark playlist... so even if I was running/controlling spark and deezer from an iPhone on wifi network and at the same time started up a computer I used to stream bluetooth from, the computer and bluetooth would "highjack" spark and throw in an "empty" song in the spark playlist and therefore music would stop.

Just some of my own impressions.

Andreas
(25-Oct-2015, 18:38)andreas Wrote: I've also had a very unstable setup until I found that if I turned of the bluetooth on all phantoms, trashed the bluetooth connect to speaker memory from all devices I've been controlling from, and just run deezer through dialog it works perfect. System seems fragile from jumping between different ways of controlling the music.

Bluetooth appears like a "song" in spark playlist... so even if I was running/controlling spark and deezer from an iPhone on wifi network and at the same time started up a computer I used to stream bluetooth from, the computer and bluetooth would "highjack" spark and throw in an "empty" song in the spark playlist and therefore music would stop.

Just some of my own impressions.

Andreas
I think any live optical input comes up as the default song in the playqueue. I have a CD transport and my TV connected and when switched on they become the selected "tune". I just click in another tune and/or delete the optical input from the playqueue. You can always add it again later.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire