Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom On Speaker Stands!
Hi All,

I just thought I would pass on something quite interesting that we found yesterday when dem'ing a silver Phantom Stereo Pair, basically our customer, hello Paul, wanted to compare a 200 with his Elac speakers against a stereo Phantom pair. We put the Phantoms on a very solid wooden HiFi Rack and the speakers on some PMC Twenty Speaker stands, initially the 200 with the Elacs sounded more open and airy with the Phantom's sounding richer, fuller and more weighty but lacking some detail, space and finesse.

Then we swapped over and put the speakers on the rack and the Phantom's on the speaker stands, Wow what a difference, all of a sudden the Phantoms came alive with a far more open soundstage, more detail, better separation whilst keeping the overall weight and drive to the sound, it really wasn't a subtle change, and I thought Stereo Phantoms were good before :-) If you've got a stereo pair of Phantoms and they are not on stands I would definitely recommend you give it a try if you have a couple of stands knocking about.

Looks like the Branch can't come quick enough.

Cheers,
Paul.
I have mine on 800mm teak beams. Smile
I noticed this too when I first got my Phantoms. I put them on the dining table to get them going.
It was no surprise to be honest. Any speaker is very effected by being near a hard reflective surface and one which has been so carefully engineered as a full range point source speaker has more to lose than a box speaker which is more compromised in the first place, given few are full range and almost none are point sources.

I put mine on some apollo stands my LS3/5as and then KEF LS50s (nearest to point source IMHO) used to be on.
It has been a long wait for the stands...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Extrema and Phantom side by side Smile 
[Image: 330109d1437043205-ragwos-stue-na-pa-hifi...m-lite.jpg]
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I was that customer and was trying to decide between the Dev 200 and the Phantoms using cd as the source going to the Dev 200 and the Phantoms simultaneously, so we could switch quickly between them.  
I was leaning towards the Dev 200 when we swapped positions. Wow! It was night and day. Transformed the Phantoms and instantly made up my mind. They went from fancy music centres to real Hifi which is a major hurdle to get over.
Paul at Hi Fi lounge has a great set up and a lot of patience which I'm sure I will be testing over the next few months!
Now then... White or Silver!
(17-Jul-2015, 11:57)fettler269 Wrote: Now then... White or Silver!

The Silvers obviously, they look better. Wink
I had a leap in clarity and naturalness on my Partington Dreadnought stands. I don't know why anyone wouldn't consider treating Phantoms just like any other quality speaker. And on the other matter... I happen to prefer the normal Phantom's  shinyness*. The "Silvers" seem more like dull grey to me. 

*"Bite My Shiny Metal Side Plates" - Bender
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(17-Jul-2015, 11:24)ragwo Wrote: Extrema and Phantom side by side Smile 

The Extrema looks lovely...I am jealous.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Jul-2015, 14:07)thumb5 Wrote:
(17-Jul-2015, 11:24)ragwo Wrote: Extrema and Phantom side by side Smile 

The Extrema looks lovely...I am jealous.

+1

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
and which one is the winner, phantoms or extrema? Smile

I have to say, visually the extremas. The glossy white plasic enclosure of the phantoms looks somewhat cheap.