Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom abominations
"Self amplified speakers have been shunned by Audiophiles for years – and perhaps part of the reason is few have been built very well. Look at the latest travesty, these new Devialet abominations. Anyone that’s had a serious listen would find them dreadful."

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/using-twins/
Manufacturer of high end audio disses another manufacturer of high end audio and pushes his own products. So what, nothing new in this, just another self gratifying blog to be ignored.
I think Paul Gowan knows "his business" but, if you like your phantoms (and I do)...sowhat ?!
"Self publicising manufacturers have been shunned by Audiophiles for years - and perhaps part of the reason is that they slag off competitors. Look at the latest travesty, coming from Paul McGowan in relation to Devialet. Anyone taking him seriously would choose never to buy any more PS Audio kit."
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Unless i read it wrong, it was a poster that slagged off the Phantoms not Paul. I don't really give a monkeys anyway. I heard them at Franks, loved them, bought them and I am very happy. I own or have owned speakers that are better in some areas but as an overall package they float my boat.
I think the op is quoting and not himself slagging the phantoms. Pretty harsh comments to the point is it motivated by something else? Again who cares if one likes them enough to buy them?
It is pretty interesting that they provoke these strong reactions. Other kit gets slagged off at times but phantoms have had some pretty extreme comments. I suspect it is partly a reaction to the marketing campaign which did make some fairly outlandish claims.

I count myself among the very happy owners but some of the marketing is a bit cringeworthy- the celebrity endorsements are not really to my taste.

We've seen a few proper reviews trickle in and as we get some more of them I imagine the angry bearded section of the audiophile community will settle down a bit and maybe even get to quite like the phantom!
:S It's clear it is Paul McGowan who wrote it, not in his blog but in the comments below it. http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/using...ment-37944

He has almost 3700 email subscribers and who knows how many website visitors so Devialet probably isn't amused. Wink Never heard Phantom myself (not interested) but I do generally value his opinions. And whether he's right or not about active loudspeakers and merely giving his opinion I don't think he wrote it down in a very classy way. He is CEO of a competing company after all.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
It is interesting that another commenter there responded that most recording studios use active monitors - which Paul dismissed out of hand, suggesting some of the worst sounding set ups he's heard are in studios. He loses a lot of credibility to me: thousands of skilled and highly trained professionals around the world use active speakers and really obsess about getting the best possible sound, building facilities from the ground up with that objective. But Paul thinks they're all wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15-Oct-2015, 23:23)Antoine Wrote: :S It's clear it is Paul McGowan who wrote it, not in his blog but in the comments below it. http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/using...ment-37944

He has almost 3700 email subscribers and who knows how many website visitors so Devialet probably isn't amused. Wink Never heard Phantom myself (not interested) but I do generally value his opinions. And whether he's right or not about active loudspeakers and merely giving his opinion I don't think he wrote it down in a very classy way. He is CEO of a competing company after all.

What PS Audio product competes with the Phantom?