Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
28 36.84%
No
63.16%
48 63.16%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Are you affected by the hissing problem?
I don't think that kind of hissing noise is a hardware fault. If anyone would like to here the hissing noise I experienced PM me your email address.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I wish Devialet would explain more about what's causing the hardware hissing. Otherwise, I can't help but think that every unit is affected somehow, because it's a hardware problem, and a new Phantom version needs to be manufactured with new hardware.

Right now, I'm ok, because I don't have a mobile device to control them, so I can wait. But come October/November when the iPad Pro is released, and if we don't have more answers by then, I'm going to start to lose it.
(23-Aug-2015, 21:18)Dvlt PhD Wrote: I wish Devialet would explain more about what's causing the hardware hissing. Otherwise, I can't help but think that every unit is affected somehow, because it's a hardware problem, and a new Phantom version needs to be manufactured with new hardware.

I agree that Devialet should be able to explain why some are getting this hissing and do something about it but it simply not the case that everyone is afflicted. Plenty on here not getting hissing, including me with a single Phantom and my son with two Silvers and Dialog. No hissing from any source, just consistent great sound. Sorry but I hope you get things sorted.
(23-Aug-2015, 22:08)nigelb001 Wrote:
(23-Aug-2015, 21:18)Dvlt PhD Wrote: I wish Devialet would explain more about what's causing the hardware hissing. Otherwise, I can't help but think that every unit is affected somehow, because it's a hardware problem, and a new Phantom version needs to be manufactured with new hardware.

I agree that Devialet should be able to explain why some are getting this hissing and do something about it but it simply not the case that everyone is afflicted. Plenty on here not getting hissing, including me with a single Phantom and my son with two Silvers and Dialog. No hissing from any source, just consistent great sound. Sorry but I hope you get things sorted.

Oh, it's not that bad for me. I don't even own them, yet.

I did listen to them, yesterday, at a dealer, and want a pair of Silvers. But, I think you can understand why I'm feeling like this, when there's a hardware issue at hand.
(23-Aug-2015, 23:10)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(23-Aug-2015, 22:08)nigelb001 Wrote:

Oh, it's not that bad for me. I don't even own them, yet.

I did listen to them, yesterday, at a dealer, and want a pair of Silvers. But, I think you can understand why I'm feeling like this, when there's a hardware issue at hand.

Aah didn't pick up the fact that you weren't an owner yet.

I was aware of this thread before I bought a Phantom but it didn't stop me, once I heard one I couldn't wait. I don't believe it's a universal hardware issue based on one post here. Anyway, completely enjoying the Phantom experience, just looking forward to Spark update to make it a bit more useful and less 'clunky'.
Two silver Phanton in my living room... and no HISS... Even when I use SONOS
But will check again over the week end.

Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
I received a new pair of Silver Phantoms on Friday. Still the same hissing noise. When confronted with the persisting problem Devialet support claimed that my old Phantoms didn't have a hardware problem after all, it was all software related. If they told me that before I made a complaint about the new speakers I would not be so suspicious, they had several opportunities while emailing when the speakers were stuck in custom. The new firmware reduces the noise from volume 5 and downwards, from 6 and upwards it is the same.
TBC
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Sep-2015, 17:04)ragwo Wrote: I received a new pair of Silver Phantoms on Friday. Still the same hissing noise. When confronted with the persisting problem Devialet support claimed that my old Phantoms didn't have a hardware problem after all, it was all software related. If they told me that before I made a complaint about the new speakers I would not be so suspicious, they had several opportunities while emailing when the speakers were stuck in custom. The new firmware reduces the noise from volume 5 and downwards, from 6 and upwards it is the same.
TBC

But, is this something you notice at normal listening position?

And, is it exactly the same noise at the same db level that you noticed with the ones you returned?

Thanks.
Unfortunately yes and yes. The noise is reduced from volume 0-5, not from 6 and upwards. It is constant from 0-5 and 6 and upwards. I can hear the noise in the couch, six meters away. My listening position is about four meters away. If the hissing noise was reduced all over the volume range everything would be fine, I can't hear the noise from volume 0-5 in my listening position.
My Phantom Voyage
I can conirm the observations of ragwo with my phantoms silver I have since March (no Bluetooth, so first batch). Same behaviour. Maybe I'm a bit older or have more (ab)used ears but hear hissing clearly at 1m from the speakers but not as disturbance at listening position (2.5m), at least not for most music I listen.