Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
I am on the Roon forum to and use a NUC i7 PC as my own system and as Roon core and use AIR to my Devialet over RJ45. Works well and if I do get a glitch on AIR I either stop and start the AIR on the PC or switch Devialet off and back on again. Just waiting for the IOS app to control it now.

You can have the files stored in any (or multiple) locations including the Roon core or on any shared drives or NAS drives on the network and bring it all together under Roon.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I've restored my Mac Mini to factory setting and just install Roon on it to be a dedicated music player. Using a Win8 Tablet as Roon remote controller, playing Tidal Hifi to my Deviate 200 via USB and KEF LS50 (SAM 100%), music to my ears. I'm in music enjoyment mode now.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I had confirmation from Aurender Support that Roon integration is coming to their range of products, albeit no confirmed date yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Pardon me if this has been asked before. Is this purely a music management & software player? if so why does one have to pay the annual subscription fee? Does the software self destruct upon expiry?
(29-Jun-2015, 11:43)agentsmith Wrote: Pardon me if this has been asked before.  Is this purely a music management & software player?  if so why does one have to pay the annual subscription fee?  Does the software self destruct upon expiry?

It's not really a management tool, it takes care of managing metadata for you and that meta data is constantly being fixed and updated over the year.

Subscription is the model they have decided to go with.  I'd do the same.

I've been paying JRivers yearly upgrade fee since I first started using it so I decided to just purchase the lifetime on this one.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(29-Jun-2015, 12:08)Dr Tone Wrote:
(29-Jun-2015, 11:43)agentsmith Wrote: Pardon me if this has been asked before.  Is this purely a music management & software player?  if so why does one have to pay the annual subscription fee?  Does the software self destruct upon expiry?

It's not really a management tool, it takes care of managing metadata for you and that meta data is constantly being fixed and updated over the year.

Subscription is the model they have decided to go with.  I'd do the same.

I've been paying JRivers yearly upgrade fee since I first started using it so I decided to just purchase the lifetime on this one.

Not wishing to be argumentative here, but Roon is much more than a metadata manager. It has very extensive databasing of music, and to a great extent that is why this is on a subscription, or relatively large one off purchase price. Roon have to pay licenses to whole number of different sources to make their database as comprehensive as can be, it then takes all your music and builds up a more complete database of your library, with it's own (non-destructive) meta-dating. From this you can hyper-link to your heart's content. It also has seamless integration of Tidal, right inside your library, no need to switch between local files and Tidal, it all appears in each browsing screen. Everything can be mixed up.

Even there, I have only scratched the surface.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
I see.

It's just that over the years I have purchased Amarra, Audirvana (twice), Pure Music, Fidelia and a few others I don't even remember.  

I will try the trial and see if it really is the player that ends all players.
I agree with AllenB, it is not a player. It is a hyper linked content manager that sorts your library in a more meaningful way and connect dots that otherwise may seem random or non-related.

So I guess if you like the trial period you will end up paying for the content management service and not for another media player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
It can function as a standalone piece of software and output music to a sound device which makes it a player. So it is what you (Amabrok) say it is but it is also a player.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
So is it using just standard Windows (or OSX) components for the music playback? Nothing special at all?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland