Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling in Roon 1.3
(12-Feb-2017, 13:42)petrik Wrote: I have a win10 desktop computer which is running Roon Server, HQPlayer and AIR. Everything works fine up to 192khz and sound quality is great Smile

Great! Have you tried using HQPlayer to upsample 44.1kHz to DSD?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Feb-2017, 13:57)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Feb-2017, 13:42)petrik Wrote: I have a win10 desktop computer which is running Roon Server, HQPlayer and AIR. Everything works fine up to 192khz and sound quality is great Smile

Guillaume

I think that Roon will evolve their dsp and do other filters and other modulators in the future but if they will be as good as HQ player well time will tell. 

I think I will wait and se what Devialets streamerboard will bring.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(12-Feb-2017, 14:39)octaviars Wrote:

Guillaume

I think that Roon will evolve their dsp and do other filters and other modulators in the future but if they will be as good as HQ player well time will tell. 

You could be in for rather a long wait!!!  Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Feb-2017, 14:52)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(12-Feb-2017, 14:39)octaviars Wrote:
(12-Feb-2017, 13:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: Great! Have you tried using HQPlayer to upsample 44.1kHz to DSD?

Guillaume

You could be in for rather a long wait!!!  Big Grin

Guillaume

Well I dont have any rush to get something else than the Roon AIR situation I use today. I sold my microRendu and Mutec and went with AIR instead as I think it is very small difference in sound but less stuff to worry about and less cables and powersupplys to worry about.
I might build a dedicated win10 with Fidelizer and run Roon server and AIR on it just to perhaps get a bit more out of the setup than today. Throw in optical FMC between the PC and Devialet, get a Paul Hynes PSU to power the stuff that runs on DC power and be done with that.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

Guillaume

Yep, I tried HQPlayer's upsampling to DSD64 today. I didn't do any critical listening yet, but generally speaking it sounds great.

I haven't been particularly impressed by Roon's upsampling features. I think the sound quality is slightly better when Roon's upsampling is set off. This is not the case with HQPlayer. HQPlayer definitely does a better job in upsampling.

Functionally the only problem that I have noticed when upsampling to DSD64 is that there seems to come a soft click/crackle sound from a left channel always when a new track begins. I think it's just because AIR 3 isn't yet officially supporting DSD64. At least this is how I understood Sébastien's message below:

Quote:Sébastien Faure December 08, 2016 16:18
Dear all,

RC 3.0.2 for windows and RC 3.0.1 for MacOs have been published.

Please post here your feedback.

Theses RCs are focussed on the white noise and sounds delivery, all others aspects are not covered yet (DSD, Screen size, etc..) but are still in progress from our side. As soon as the CORE functions are close and delivered as expected we will dive into other aspects pending.

This is the final stage before issuing the final release.

Cheers, 

Seb
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(12-Feb-2017, 18:11)petrik Wrote:

Guillaume

Yep, I tried HQPlayer's upsampling to DSD64 today. I didn't do any critical listening yet, but generally speaking it sounds great.

I haven't been particularly impressed by Roon's upsampling features. I think the sound quality is slightly better when Roon's upsampling is set off. This is not the case with HQPlayer. HQPlayer definitely does a better job in upsampling.

Functionally the only problem that I have noticed when upsampling to DSD64 is that there seems to come a soft click/crackle sound from a left channel always when a new track begins. I think it's just because AIR 3 isn't yet officially supporting DSD64. At least this is how I understood Sébastien's message below:

Quote:Sébastien Faure December 08, 2016 16:18
Dear all,

RC 3.0.2 for windows and RC 3.0.1 for MacOs have been published.

Please post here your feedback.

Theses RCs are focussed on the white noise and sounds delivery, all others aspects are not covered yet (DSD, Screen size, etc..) but are still in progress from our side. As soon as the CORE functions are close and delivered as expected we will dive into other aspects pending.

This is the final stage before issuing the final release.

Cheers, 

Seb

The soft crack or pop between songs when you play DSD is on all inputs not just AIR or so it was when I tried USB and AES. I think it is when the MAT switches from PCM to DSD and this happens between every song even if it is two DSD songs so it seems to me.

I know there are some discusion on Roon forum regarding the quality of the up-sampling and that HQ Player is better at upsampling than Roon. I think Roon will come with more options in the up-sampling section but if they will be as good as HQ Player time will tell.

Do yoy feel that HQ Player is doing a better up-sampling than Devialet?

What filters and sample-rate do you use with your HQ Player Devialet setup?

I am curious to test HQ player in my setup Smile

Edit: I installed HQ Player to try it is it right that the test version does mute the sound some second and then play again? Little bit hard to test it when it does like this, I dont feel like paying 150€ without a proper test period

Second system

(12-Feb-2017, 20:15)octaviars Wrote: I know there are a lot of discusion on Roon forum regarding the quality of the up-sampling and that HQ Player is better at upsampling than Roon. ...

Are there?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(12-Feb-2017, 22:48)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(12-Feb-2017, 20:15)octaviars Wrote: I know there are some discusion on Roon forum regarding the quality of the up-sampling and that HQ Player is better at upsampling than Roon. ...

Are there?

There is one thread were there was many discusions about this but some got deleted as it had nothing to do about Roon.

Second system

(12-Feb-2017, 20:15)octaviars Wrote: The soft crack or pop between songs when you play DSD is on all inputs not just AIR or so it was when I tried USB and AES. I think it is when the MAT switches from PCM to DSD and this happens between every song even if it is two DSD songs so it seems to me.

I know there are some discusion on Roon forum regarding the quality of the up-sampling and that HQ Player is better at upsampling than Roon. I think Roon will come with more options in the up-sampling section but if they will be as good as HQ Player time will tell.

Do yoy feel that HQ Player is doing a better up-sampling than Devialet?

What filters and sample-rate do you use with your HQ Player Devialet setup?

I am curious to test HQ player in my setup Smile

Edit: I installed HQ Player to try it is it right that the test version does mute the sound some second and then play again? Little bit hard to test it when it does like this, I dont feel like paying 150€ without a proper test period

Thanks a lot for explaining a reason for the soft crack/pop sound between songs. Nice to learn new things!  Shy
Initially I also got some dropouts/muted sound but I got it solved by defining a buffer time of 100 ms in the HQPlayer.

Currently I'm using following settings when upsampling to 192khz:
- Filter: Poly-sinc-shrt-mp
- Dither: NS9

I have no idea whether there is a better sounding setting available but this already sounds quite nice. Fast and clear with a great bass definition. Perhaps the most obvious difference there is in the bass definition. I would be happy to hear whether you could find something better. Of course the differences are not huge or dramatic, but hey, this software only costs 150 euros. I have spent a lot more on cables and tweaks... 

With DSD64 I have tried following settings but I didn't do any critical listening with these yet.
- Oversampling: Poly-sinc-shrt-mp and Poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s
- Modulator: ASDM7 and DSD7
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(12-Feb-2017, 20:15)octaviars Wrote: Do yoy feel that HQ Player is doing a better up-sampling than Devialet?

I'm not sure about this. For sure it sounds a bit different when using HQPlayer, but I need to do more listening before doing any conclusions.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland