Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has gone from d200 to 400?
And what did you notice when going dual mono? Was it a big difference? would you do the same upgrade today? 

I was actually thinking of sending my d200 back to Devialet for the CI core infinity pro upgrade @ $3100 usd. But see that I can actually pick up a second used d200 for cheaper than the ci upgrade. 

And I do like the sound I’m currently getting from my d200 and focal aria 936’s, but always in pursuit of a worthwhile improvement.

Thanks for your any insight provided.

Regards,

Mike
Also, I knew if I go this route, I’d have to pick up a digital coax cable, but I see mention of a 3.5 mm link cable “for commands” also in some threads and on the “what’s in the box” devialet website.

What does this 3.5 mm link cable do exactly?
(07-Jan-2024, 22:27)mmorrison55 Wrote: Also, I knew if I go this route, I’d have to pick up a digital coax cable, but I see mention of a 3.5 mm link cable “for commands” also in some threads and on the “what’s in the box” devialet website.

What does this 3.5 mm link cable do exactly?

Hi - it allows you to make use of the inputs on the Companion in addition to those on the Master. If you don't need the extra inputs, you can do without the cable.

btw - many years ago, I went from D200 to D400, and for me it was worth every penny. Then again, after buying my Od'A ( 8 years ago now - time flies Angel ) I was more than satisfied with the subsequent CI upgrade that came along a little later (although that one was a freebie).

If you like what you already have, then either or both upgrades will bring you even more pleasure.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Thanks Zappy, sounds like the link cable would not need to be of any serious quality. The cheapest AQ link cable would work as it’s wouldn’t alter sound quality like the digital coax might.
@mmorrison55 
Going from D200 to a Dual-mono D400 would immediately show you a more "expansive soundstage", better low-level definition, better dynamic behaviour and the ability to hear more into the music. However, with your present Aria 936 with 3 x 6-1/2 bass drivers, Dual-mono will also provide a small sense of better bass control. Eventually, over sometime, the Dual-mono will soon lead you looking for better speakers to match-up to them. So be aware as it's bound to happen.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(08-Jan-2024, 19:33)audio_engr Wrote: @mmorrison55 
Going from D200 to a Dual-mono D400 would immediately show you a more "expansive soundstage", better low-level definition, better dynamic behaviour and the ability to hear more into the music. However, with your present Aria 936 with 3 x 6-1/2 bass drivers, Dual-mono will also provide a small sense of better bass control. Eventually, over sometime, the Dual-mono will soon lead you looking for better speakers to match-up to them. So be aware as it's bound to happen.

I hear ya. No doubt down the road that would be my next step. I’ve been browsing for deals on speakers if I didn’t upgrade to ci or dual mono. I Would like to stay in the focal line and my next logical step would be to listen to the Kanta’s or the sopras as I think that’s the upper limit I could go without having to have a serious conversation with the wife. 😀

If I can make this deal happen with adding a second 200, then I  think that’s what I am going to do over the ci upgrade.

Thank you all for you feedback.
Well, the seller accepted my offer. I am now officially a member of the dual mono team. I just need to find a digital interconnect to hook these together when it finally arrives. Guessing I will go with what Devialet is supplying, and pick up an audioquest carbon interconnect. 

I’ve heard some prefer the aes to rca. So I can only assume that aes to aes is not possible. Is that correct? Also, if it is preferred to go aes to rca, can someone tell me exactly what I would need to look for when searching for this cable, and who gets the aes (master or slave) and who gets the RCA?

My searches on this topic were not clear and some that have done this, have had to go special order to get a cable made. I Don’t know that I want to go that route, so was hoping to find a ready made cable.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Regards,

Mike
Hello Mike,
Congratulation! on joining the Dual-mono club. It will take you less than 5 min to see for yourself the difference it makes.
The Dual-mono Digital LINK cable topic is a bit complex. Devialet likes to go RCA-->RCA and they provide such a cable (AQ Carbon) when you buy a Dual-mono. When I bought my D400 in 2016, they supplied me a Crystal RCA-->RCA cable.

Going RCA(Master)-to-AES(Companion) will provide you a much bigger soundstage, more precise imaging, much more open sound that it both ambient and spacious. Once you hear RCA-->AES, it is addictive and there's no going back to RCA-->RCA (at least this is what happened to me). 

If one wishes to go RCA-->AES with Audioquest cables, AQ digital cable with DBS becomes complex and a bottleneck. It took me 1-1/2 years working with Audioquest USA and thereafter Audioquest Europe in NL to get it to work properly. But now, AQ engineers have a fix to this hence it's no longer an issue.

I started off my RCA-->AES journey in 2016 with AQ Diamond and this comes with 72V DBS. By end of 2017, AQ engineers were able to sort out the issues and for making me wait for 18 months and 4 times to-&-fro DHL shipping, upgraded me to AQ WILD. The Diamond to WILD move was very noticeable and once I upgraded by D400 to 440-Pro-CI, I was able to upgrade my AQ WILD cable to AQ WEL Sig and once again, it was a very noticeable jump. Both the WILD & WEL Sig also has the 72V DBS hence AQ engineers know what to do when it comes to using the cable for Dual-mono Devialet.

If you stay below AQ Diamond, I guess DBS doesn't come into the picture but you still need to get the cable terminated by AQ (that I would). Rest is upon you.
Good luck!  Smile

- Arup
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thanks Arup for the feedback.

I may give these guys a try.

https://silversonic.com/products/digital...bu-silver/

I’ve owned other dh labs cables in the past and have had no complaints, and I see from that link they offer to terminate with rca to XLR male ( I assume this is the connection I want?) for only $15 extra.

They have a sale going on this month for their reference silver cables. Or I go go with their standard option for about 1/2 the price of their reference option.
(11-Jan-2024, 06:57)mmorrison55 Wrote: Thanks Arup for the feedback.

I may give these guys a try.

https://silversonic.com/products/digital...bu-silver/

I’ve owned other dh labs  cables in the past and have had no complaints, and I see from that link they offer to terminate with rca to XLR male ( I assume this is the connection I want?) for only $15 extra.

They have a sale going on this month for their reference silver cables. Or I go go with their standard option for about 1/2 the price of their reference option.

What a coincidence! 
Before I embarked on my AQ Diamond journey, this is the cable I got custom made and tried it. 
It gave me enough confidence to start emptying my bank's coffers  Big Grin