Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fi or PLC?
(05-Apr-2022, 15:58)steve_denney Wrote: Thanks for your views to me and @tsmithpam

In the UK unless you live in a city it is unusual to get anywhere near the download speeds you seem to be lucky to have in Asia.

I have raised a ticket with Devialet now to see if they are able to comment on my configuration and what options I have to try to get a more stable setup.

I will update this thread when I hear back.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Thanks @eric871052.

I too have another ticket with Devialet and will report back.

I also intend to try and see if I connect direct to an integrated amp from innuos and then to analogue speakers to see if the problem remains. It will determine I hope whether the issue is the internet constraint on more with the phantoms. I need a spare weekend for this which may be a while.

(05-Apr-2022, 13:29)steve_denney Wrote: Hi @frogster99. Sorry to hear you also have problems. Seems a pattern is forming!
Did connecting them to Ethernet resolve the problem even if not what we want to have cables connecting everything?
So much for an expensive wireless system that doesn’t work wirelessly.

its been a continuous battle with Devialet who just keep blaming my router for the issue. Amazing how my Sonos system can provide error free listening on 16 speakers all at the same time.
i really don't understand why its only the paired speaker that drops out. 
so for example i have a stereo pair left and right. Left been master, so the right drops out. if i set them back up again and set the right speaker as the left speaker (master) The opposit speaker drops out.
This is not a networking issue this is a devialet issue!
Response to my ticket from Devialet, which implies my fault in feeding the phantoms material above its spec.

Not the case, as issue is for anything over 24bit/48khz. Also, should it not be the case that a speaker such as this should be able to smoothly handle higher res files by down sampling if it needs to without stability issues to the user?

Effectively the response from Devialet is saying the speakers are not compatible with premium streaming services from tidal and qobuz - which is surely not the case as others seem to manage?!
[Image: c55bb6d24658147ac7f2cb697c8e992f.jpg]

[Image: 6b809b437b0db6032053c4e38ae3443f.jpg]
Sounding at least more hopeful.

Interesting we are getting different responses to essentially the same issue. Probably down to who responds.
I have received my reply and was told the good news “there is no software problem” but my Wi-Fi connection “link-quality” is not the best at 35/70 so try Ethernet to each speaker for better stability.
I have asked whether the link-quality rating related to connection between Phantom A and Phantom B or between Phantoms A/B and my internet. Waiting on reply.
Maybe the number of concerns raised has prompted them to review and hopefully we get something done which helps the whole community.

tsmithpam: that's good news.

I've been working with Devialet on unstable Phantoms since mid-December (3-4 months). I've sent them several bug reports and recordings to help them narrow down the issue. They said they'd have an update early this week, but I haven't heard anything back yet so on a hunch I decided to check the forums.

My issue for those who would like to compare notes: my Phantoms are unstable in a stereo pair. Yes 24/48 but it also occurs even when streaming lower bitrates AND I can reproduce in mono mode (albeit it is more stable in mono).

For me, the following yields the same results:
- Ethernet. I left Wifi unconfigured on the Phantoms to "force" use of Ethernet. Roon/Airplay source
- 5Ghz Wifi. Roon/Airplay/Bluetooth/AUX source (AP in same room)
- 2.4Ghz Wifi. Roon/Airplay/Bluetooth/AUX source (AP in same room)
- I have also moved the Phantoms around the house just incase there are dead zones throwing everything off.

My internet is 1Gbps fiber. Networking gear is enterprise Ubiquiti gear so it should have the horsepower for a home (in the before times this gear powered a 2 floor office with hundreds of devices.) For Roon I tested both Tidal Master tracks as well as locally stored FLAC (Roon+Files connected via 10Gb ethernet). Airplay was tested with both a Macbook Pro and iPhone

I have been working with Devialet using a pair of Phantom II 98dB (as they are my WFH desk speakers). As an aside lately I've also noticed the instability on my Phantom I 108dB pair but haven't reported or done anything to narrow down the issue. Edit: Both pairs are using firmware 2.14.4.

FWIW 2.4Ghz + AUX seems to be the most stable "unstable" for me right now yielding only Vinyl/CD-esque skips on occasion, primarily from the source speaker.
Thanks for input @verza.

Sorry to hear your struggles too.

I have tested what Devialet asked me to, which was with optical auto switch off and then a mono speaker.

I still have the issue, although it did seem perhaps slightly more stable during the above tests.

24/48 is rock solid for me (for now!). It is anything above this.

I’m on the same latest firmware.

Your input on your internet bandwidth capabilities helps to eliminate that from my list of possible causes.

Over to Devialet to fix this.

Worried how long you have been trying though!

Devialet confirmed the link quality is between Phantoms and Wi-Fi router.

Yesterday I connected the Phantoms via Ethernet to my Russ Andrew’s switch so this more closely equates to my previous setup:-
DOS 1 Ethernet from Russ Andrew’s switch to Dialog and PLC BETWEEN Dialog and Phantom’s
DOS 2 Ethernet from Russ Andrew’s switch to Phantoms.

Both setups stream ripped music or Qobuz via UPnP from my Innuos Zenith.

The old system had no issues at all of playing HD tracks right up to 192 even if they were being downsampled by Phantom software.

Now I have connection in new setup via Ethernet I seem to be stable at 96 rate but anything higher still cuts out say 1 to 2 times per track.

So I can only conclude that the new software is not as capable of dealing with the downsample that the previous version setup was.

Very frustrating really and Devialet need to own this issue and up their game.

My advice to anyone still on the older Phantoms and dialog is to keep your money in your pocket. Unless you have a very good Wi-Fi connection and this is close to where your Phantoms sit you will probably have to use Ethernet to get stability and even then only to 48 or maybe 96 bit rates.

Devialet got back to me to say their planned meeting was regarding roon and high res playback, which doesn’t apply in my case. So a bit of a false hope!

After more tests they have however agreed to issue the problem to an engineer under a ‘technical escalation’, but timescales unknown.
Feeling less hopeful.

I have instead spent 3 days with a Nad 3020 digital amp hooked up to my innuos zen mini via usb, with a set of passive speakers to the amp. This is in the same room as my phantoms, with no change to the innuos connection to the router or internet provision.

It has played back everything I throw at it without a single issue, including 24/196. Whilst not sounding as good as the phantoms, it played streamed qobuz content and stored flac files seamlessly.

This proved the point the issue is not with my set up or internet bandwidth constraints. It is with the phantoms.

Hopefully they will fix this.

(14-Apr-2022, 22:41)tsmithpam Wrote: Devialet got back to me to say their planned meeting was regarding roon and high res playback, which doesn’t apply in my case. So a bit of a false hope!

After more tests they have however agreed to issue the problem to an engineer under a ‘technical escalation’, but timescales unknown.
Feeling less hopeful.

I have instead spent 3 days with a Nad 3020 digital amp hooked up to my innuos zen mini via usb, with a set of passive speakers to the amp. This is in the same room as my phantoms, with no change to the innuos connection to the router or internet provision.

It has played back everything I throw at it without a single issue, including 24/196. Whilst not sounding as good as the phantoms, it played streamed qobuz content and stored flac files seamlessly.

This proved the point the issue is not with my set up or internet bandwidth constraints. It is with the phantoms.

Hopefully they will fix this.

This is really interesting. Devialet owning up to an issue with Roon and the Phantoms. Completely annoying as they are "Roon Ready". I'm having the same issue with Roon. Whether wired or wireless the Phantoms still "Burp" typically one or more times per track. Did Devialet provide any further details about Roon? The customer rep I'm dealing with is trying to make it about my router setup when in fact it is with their latest firmware and / or latest version of the iOS app. Thx.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i