Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
master / slave digital cable for 440Pro
(21-Dec-2023, 07:44)ray1234 Wrote: a XLR ground lift plug on the XLR side. The ground lift allows the sound stage to be a lot bigger and a lot more airy, try it!

If anyone requests Audioquest to terminate a Digital Link cable for Devialet Dual-Mono, Audioquest follows this concept and wires the cable accordingly. Hence, no adapters are necessary.

Audioquest earlier had a problem with their Digital cables that have 72V DBS not passing 24/176.4 and 24/192 from Master to Slave but they worked around it and found the fix. 
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Can someone briefly explain “ground lifting”? When I googled it, the video that came up, the guy was actually cutting pin1 on the xlr. Is that what you guys are doing? Cutting the pin off your high end cables?
(15-Jan-2024, 19:31)mmorrison55 Wrote: Can someone briefly explain “ground lifting”? When I googled it, the video that came up, the guy was actually cutting pin1 on the xlr. Is that what you guys are doing? Cutting the pin off your high end cables?

I don't want to modify my cables, so I'm just using an adapter like this one:
Hosa XLR3F Ground Lifter - Microphone Adapters | Hosa Cables (hosatech.com)
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(15-Jan-2024, 19:31)mmorrison55 Wrote: Can someone briefly explain “ground lifting”? When I googled it, the video that came up, the guy was actually cutting pin1 on the xlr. Is that what you guys are doing? Cutting the pin off your high end cables?

https://ibb.co/6F6kKD9

Alternatively, on the Slave, disconnect wire from Pin 1 (GND) of XLR plug.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Astonishing effect on sound after desoldering Pin 1 at RCA-XLR adaptor for (D400 slave).
I thought of moving to the SPDIF way for slave connection (being able to use the trigger cable), but galvanic isolation is more complicated then (extra device).
Guess, i will also buy a special cable instead of SPDIF+adaptor.

In meantime i've established means of galvanic isolation for Ethernet-, USB- and slave inputs to great effect.
(27-Jan-2024, 09:46)Ecki Wrote: Astonishing effect on sound after desoldering Pin 1 at RCA-XLR adaptor for (D400 slave).

Haha! I needed to hear this from someone who hadn't tried it earlier. 

I/we (some of us here) have been enjoying this for years now!
Well, the sound character changed remarkably, stage is very different, even more pressure in bass.
But it has been a rather short listening session only and i have to wait if i really like all the changes as a whole...

What i'm wondering about:
i cannot remember any hints from reviewers on AES cable modifications (unfortunately i could not (re)find Devialet's instruction for adapting, but i believe they connected Pin 1).
Professional testers attested dual mono significant improvements in sound quality compared to a single unit - why did none of them try the mod?
Or does a super expensive cable with full connections achieve the same results? (i believe - no)
It's such an easy/cheap mod ... possibly saving thousands of dollars.
@Ecki

Check out these Threads.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-DIY-wiri...ical-cable

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Companio...h-Roon-AIR
In meantime i found the sound to be not even unfamiliar but also worse to my taste.
It felt like a huge bowl around each speaker, concentrating to depth only. I also missed the crisp and punchy sound character of the system.
Things became more strange when listening with headphones (pre out of slave connected to headphone amp).

Finally i decided to reconnect Pin 1 for testing and now things are right again in my hearing.

To be honest, i have no idea what happened first w/o Pin 1 connected - i was deeply impressed in the beginning.

I ordered a new streamer which will allow to do w/o Devialet pre out and thus try to settle pure SPDIF connection from master to slave.
If the AES input is being used on the master amp, it is correct to assume that the recommended connection type would be RCA on the master to XLR on the slave?
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds