Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARNING Re Tweeter Grill
Yes you are right fgueho, depending on TV video processing time and also chosen audio/video signal path, the perceived delay can be different.
As you understood I was more using this post as an example on how we should accept different situations and point of view to be shared Wink

Phantom has an inherent delay which - although not so convenient - I accept gladly because it is actually the price to pay for both the fantastic audio performance and the wireless operation.
- Phantom great sound comes from extensive use of DSP algorithms, and these things take time to process. On professional audio workstations the delay is indicated for each algorithm you use, and the rule is "better they are, longer they take", which make sense in a way Smile
- The wireless Dialog/Phantom operation involves back and forward streaming between devices which again - to be solid and play in sync - requires buffering. This takes time too.

I did measure the delay in May, it was in the ballpark of 220 ms. Since then it has been reduced. My last measurement was around 190 ms. We can hope that Devialet - doing some code and buffering optimisation - can further reduce that. I've seen delay reduced by 50% on some pro DSP devices after they spent enough time on the issue.

For now - depending on your audio and video path - as well as TV video processing time - the perceived sync will vary, although Phantom will probably always be late :
- Best case = sending HDMI to TV and optical to Phantom directly from the source device ( receiver, Bluray, XBox ...) to a hopefully slow processing TV Smile
- Worst case = streaming Netflix or Youtube directly from a smart TV and sending the optical out of TV to Phantom/dialog

(19-Oct-2015, 22:50)fgueho Wrote:
(19-Oct-2015, 22:33)Phs Wrote: I remember reading a post where you found A/V sync perfect when for me the lag is obvious.
Never thought that made you a daft.

Well, that depends on the TV processing. He could have no lag, and you could have a lot. Just because you don't have the same TV.
Some TV processes the video signal quickly, other very slowly. So it's not quite the same thing...
(but I understand perfectly what you are saying)

[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by Jamington2004 - 19-Oct-2015, 20:30
WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by sleach - 19-Oct-2015, 21:49
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by Phs - 19-Oct-2015, 22:33
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by fgueho - 19-Oct-2015, 22:50
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by Phs - 20-Oct-2015, 10:54
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by Phs - 20-Oct-2015, 13:02
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by EvPa - 20-Oct-2015, 00:19
RE: WARNING Re Tweeter Grill - by Jean-Marie - 20-Oct-2015, 20:05