Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 2.0 with Expert Line featuring
(16-Dec-2022, 18:37)frejo Wrote: A 220 is a Expert pro model and can run RAAT. There is no non-pro 220.

I made a mistake and you are most probably right but you may be wrong.

For some reason I had a mental block while attempting to answer the question and thought the 220 was an Expert rather than and Expert Pro and framed my answer accordingly.

You may be wrong because it was/is possible to buy a 220 which is not Roon Ready. Roon Ready Expert Pros require the CI board and Expert Pros were sold for about a year before the CI board was available with the promise that they would receive the board as a free upgrade on its release. I bought my 140 in early 2017 (it was a 130 on purchase) in the days before the CI board and had it upgraded with the board in early 2018.If someone bought a 220 before December 2017 and did not have it upgraded with the board, then they have a 220 which is not Roon Ready. It's also possible that someone acquired a non Roon Ready 220 on the used market after the release of the CI board and haven't had it upgraded. The fact is that it is possible that there are a small number of 220s sold before December 2017 which have not been upgraded with the CI board and are still in use and which are not Roon Ready.  I don't  know whether @lpuncel has a 220 which is Roon Ready or not.

If @lpuncel does have a 220 which is not Roon Ready (unlikely), then my original answer is correct. The problem does not affect Devialets which are not Roon Ready.

Assuming that @lpuncel does have a 220 which is Roon Ready then to correctly answer his original question I can think of several possibile reasons he has not had any problems with Roon. They are:

1- he is streaming to the 220 via wifi. The RAAT problem only affects people using a gigabit ethernet connection. Another possibility is that he  is connecting to his Roon core via USB which would also avoid the problem.

2- he is streaming to the 220 over a gigabit ethernet connection but using the AIR protocol rather than the RAAT protocol. The problem only arises if you stream with RAAT.

3- he is streaming to the 220 over ethernet but he is using a 100 mbps connection rather than a gigabit connection. The bug is related to gigabit speed connections.

4- the bug did not affect everyone with a gigabit ethernet connection. For example I originally never experienced the problem because I had no HD files on my server and was only streaming CD quality or MQA tracks from Tidal and I never used Roon's upscaling facility. The bug was most noticeable when streaming high resolution material and I only noticed it when I tried having Roon upscale everything to 192/24 resolution. It's possible to not notice the problem if you only stream CD or lower resolution music over a gigabit ethernet connection. Actually I only noticed it with 192/24 material and not with a 176.4/24 high res album I downloaded.

5- he only started using Roon after the last FW update in October 2020. That update did do something in relation to the RAAT bug but it did not seem to fix it for everyone. It's possible that @lpuncel has been lucky and found that he has no problems with RAAT on a gigabit connection with the current firmware though other people  have reported problems with it.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon 2.0 with Expert Line featuring - by David A - 16-Dec-2022, 20:55