Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRiver MC21
(22-Jul-2016, 12:51)Confused Wrote: To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what practical use a Sox resampler is, I guess this might be exciting to someone?

Most practical is downsampling when your DAC doesn't support said sample rate.

Others like to upsample before the DAC as they feel it sounds better done before their dac or they may have a NOS DAC.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(22-Jul-2016, 14:10)Dr Tone Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 12:51)Confused Wrote: To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what practical use a Sox resampler is, I guess this might be exciting to someone?

Others like to upsample before the DAC as they feel it sounds better done before their dac or they may have a NOS DAC.

Can it upsample to DSD?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Jul-2016, 14:13)Confused Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 14:10)Dr Tone Wrote:

Can it upsample to DSD?

Yes it can, but I would not recommend it as the only input port of the Devialet which accepts DSD is USB AFAIK and it is not the best one. I tried this solution and quickly came back to play PCM in native format and convert DSD to PCM inside JRiver in order to be able to use AIR 3.0
The AES/EBU input will accept DSD. I did hear the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Clock with a D800, this was running via AES/EBU. We listened with the Vivaldi upsampling to DSD, then the same tracks at PCM. It did sound better via DSD. This does baffle me I must admit, after all, all the Devialet will do is convert the DSD to PCM prior to ADH. Maybe a case of the DAC/ADH not working so hard? Maybe it is actually adding 'euphonic' distortions of some kind. It did sound good though! Hence my interest. When I have a bit of free time I was thinking of trying this with Roon / HQPlayer, although with Mutec and Devialet both being PCM based devices, it might be a waste of time.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Sorry for my confusion then Wink
(22-Jul-2016, 15:54)SwissBear Wrote: Sorry for my confusion then Wink

One thing I can say is that I agree with you regarding the USB input, the clearest example of this was listening to Arender N10 via USB, then via AES, the latter was much preferred.

Regarding Devialet DSD implementation, link to white paper below: Shy

http://en.devialet.com/assets/V3/pdf/Whi...xpert-.pdf
With the Devialet converting everything back to PCM anyway and only supporting DSD64, I've never felt it wise to convert anything to DSD. But i guess redbook content could gain from the DSD sound signature. I don't think I'd convert any HD PCM content to DSD.

Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2