Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to guide: Setting the delay between the left and right speakers.
microstrip - no i cant tell you the exact delay. i can only tell you the delay in my system. i dont know the micro details in everyone system that would effect everyone differently. hence this guide! my final delay was 1900us but i wouldnt expect that to be common across the board.

music - i used the USB input, because thats the only input i actually use. especially considering the programs that i used both operate on a computer. i dont think it would make much of a difference if you had other inputs though like if you used a usb to spdif conververter.

I measured the speakers at the listening position. we dont just want any delay that might be inherent in our system but across the whole range of components and speakers and room. for the final change in delay you can see how miniscule the change was (100us) but what a difference it made - going from 2 obvious pulses to cancelling each other out - its the exact timing that is really important.

i used the miniDSP umik-1. its fairly popular among hifi folk and relatively cheap.

i havent had a proper listen yet, and to be honest im not great at putting my thoughts about something that i hear into words. i know a lot of the regulars around here were glad to see the delay feature come out so that they could finally balance their systems so im hoping one of them can do the steps here and report on what they heard.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Determining the time difference between the left and right speaker. - by completeluxury - 28-Aug-2015, 22:36