Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(01-Oct-2016, 20:22)jfp Wrote: Still have my question. Who compared AIR 3 and MUTEC ? In my system AIR 3 is as good as the Moon (with excellent cables). Since the Mutec is a hit it should be better than AIR ?

Confused did in post 169 of this thread. You posted #170.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Oddly enough, I was thinking of doing another quick AIR vs Mutec head to head. The thing is, over the last couple of weeks there has been some stuff that I have been listening to that has sounded absolutely sensational, so I have convinced myself that something has improved in my system. Thinking back, I have not changed anything since early August when the Mutec received it's V1.10 firmware update. I am not a great believer in burn in, not after the first few hours for PSU capacitors to settle down at least, but in casual listening I am convinced something has improved, so I have had the thought that maybe, just maybe, either the Mutec or the microRendu feeding it have settled down somehow and improved. Having said that, this stuff can mess with your mind! So although I am fairly convinced something has stepped up a notch, a quick AIR vs Mutec would be fun and possibly quite illuminating. I'll give it go with a few tracks tomorrow!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Sorry I did not see previous post
This Mutec is very attractive. I consider to use Etalon Isolator between NAS and Moon and Mutec between Moon and D400.
This should improve drastically the restitution I hope. Question is : should I wait for D440 upgrade reviews to know if the 6000 euros worth the money or invest in 1400 euros in a reasonable upgrade with Mutec and Etalon ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
OK, I have just tried a few tracks for quick AIR3 vs Mutec head to head. It was actually quite interesting, starting with AIR I found myself pleasantly surprised at just how good AIR3 actually is, It was not as if I suddenly noticed some kind of drop back in the systems performance. Then switching to the microRendu + Mutec, the magic happened. Overall balance and tonally I reckon the Mutec and AIR3 sound very much the same, it is not a case of more bass, treble or anything like that, but it was the subtle stuff that struck me, decay on piano notes, guitar strings sounding like more real. I am actually thinking now that that the mR Mutec combo has indeed stepped up a notch, maybe there is something is this burn in stuff. (I did read something about clock oscillators settling down a little while back) It does actually show how careful you need to be with evaluating hifi kit and changes. For example, I have been looking to buy a linear PSU for the Mutec, if I had done this and installed it a couple of weeks ago, I am sure I would be declaring today how this wonderful LPSU has improved my system. Thinking about it, I am very careful not to change two things without giving a couple of weeks (preferably more) in between, it is for these reasons I am still stuck on firmware 9! If I'd switched to FW 10 a couple of weeks back I might be declaring that FW 10 was a step up. In conclusion, if you like the sound of AIR but are after that last bit of accuracy and realism, the Mutec is well worth considering. It is sounding terrific today, it is a couple of months since I last listened to an Aurender N10 (which I liked very much), and I don't think the mR+Mutec is giving anything away in comparison, who knows, it might be a touch better? (That is one head to head I'd like to try!)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for doing the comparison Confused, interesting read and now I myself don't have to! Smile

Now hurry up with the LPSU and while you're at it add the fiber optic to ethernet converters, high quality AES/EBU and ethernet cables and be amazed further! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Add Étalon Isolator which is better than RJ45 optical (selling them)  isolation.

Selling too LPSU used with Moon Mind. It is not decisive enough.

Now if I understand you Confused, the Mutec would just add a little thing to Air. So Air could be a keeper.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(02-Oct-2016, 14:04)Antoine Wrote: Thanks for doing the comparison Confused, interesting read and now I myself don't have to! Smile

Now hurry up with the LPSU and while you're at it add the fiber optic to ethernet converters, high quality AES/EBU and ethernet cables and be amazed further! Wink

Agreed, but I have to stick to my only change one thing at a time rule.  I am considering both of the above, but next up will be a 1000 Pro! Shy
Interesting jfp, I had never heard of the Etalon. A quick glance at what it is lets me learn it is a €390 three stage passive ethernet filter. French only: http://www.etalonacoustics.fr/FR/PAGE_Isolator.htm

I have an EMO Systems EN-70 HD ethernet isolator in between my switch and HTPC which I have not yet compared to the TP Link MC220L with Cisco SFP's and OM3 fiber. (I power the TP Link connected to the microRendu with my Paul Hynes SR7 LPSU)

Will look into the Etalon some more. Smile

Regarding the comparison, of course one should really listen for oneself. We all listen differently, have different systems and value changes differently. Also he's comparing AIR3 to the microRendu AND Mutec. The Mutec is not a streamer like I said before and the something (whether it's a PC, streamer, CD player or whatever having a USB or other digital output) put in front of the Mutec does still matter significantly.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(02-Oct-2016, 14:13)jfp Wrote: Add Étalon Isolator which is better than RJ45 optical (selling them)  isolation.

Selling too LPSU used with Moon Mind. It is not decisive enough.

Now if I understand you Confused, the Mutec would just add a little thing to Air. So Air could be a keeper.

Ah, that depends on how you define 'a little thing', one mans 'minor improvement' is the next man's 'wow that's incredible'.  For me the Mutec (Mutec +mR at least) is a definite step up from AIR, in fact I would say that in hifi terms the Mutec offers ratio of improvement versus cost that I reckon is more or less unmatched currently.

(I'll look into the Etalon too!)
(02-Oct-2016, 14:22)Confused Wrote:
(02-Oct-2016, 14:04)Antoine Wrote: Thanks for doing the comparison Confused, interesting read and now I myself don't have to! Smile

Agreed, but I have to stick to my only change one thing at a time rule.  I am considering both of the above, but next up will be a 1000 Pro! Shy

Haha I know of course, just teasing a bit! Wink Congrats BTW on the 1000Pro purchase!  Cool

The Netherlands