Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QNAP With Roon
Hi all,

Anyone experienced to use NAS as Roon core, connect USB to devialet ? Yesterday i have installed Roon for NAS on my QNAP 453A. It works like a charm, im currently waiting my 250Pro to arrive. As first time user of devialet, any comments are welcome.
(13-Oct-2016, 04:12)jjmouse Wrote: Hi all,

Anyone experienced to use NAS as Roon core, connect USB to devialet ? Yesterday i have installed Roon for NAS on my QNAP 453A. It works like a charm, im currently waiting my 250Pro to arrive. As first time user of devialet, any comments are welcome.

I also have Roon Core running on my QNAP 471 but am streaming to a Microrendu NAA. Personally prefer this setup as it keeps the noisy (& electrically dirty) NAS out of my listening area. I am also not certain if the QNAP will properly recognize the Dev from a driver perspective when connecting directly via USB.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(14-Oct-2016, 10:21)baconbrain Wrote:
(13-Oct-2016, 04:12)jjmouse Wrote: Hi all,

I also have Roon Core running on my QNAP 471 but am streaming to a Microrendu NAA. Personally prefer this setup as it keeps the noisy (& electrically dirty) NAS out of my listening area. I am also not certain if the QNAP will properly recognize the Dev from a driver perspective when connecting directly via USB.

I've installed Roon on a Synology but came to the conclusion that there is no AIR driver for a NAS and hence it made no sense and revered back to a laptop. Don't know if USB will work without the driver.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
Devialet is using the nowadays almost de facto standard XMOS USB implementation which has wide support so should work with almost any Linux distribution that supports USB audio.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Synology NAS works directly with USB to my D400 when I tried.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

My 250 pro is arrived, it works very well to use Roon on qnap and connect devialet thru USB
Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?
(16-Oct-2016, 19:02)saxguy Wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?

That's the million dollar question. No one knows, but we can hope. Devialet are at least aware of Roon and they have spoken, so unless it's technically impossible (unlikely) then it could/should happen. But that doesn't mean it will.

It would also mean you could control the Devialet volume via Roon, and group it with other RAAT/RoonReady zones.

(And of course never have to think about AIR again while still utilising the Ethernet input)

If you haven't already I'd suggest you email Devialet and note on their Facebook if you use it, that you want it to be RoonReady.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

In the past two days i have used the QNAP 453A(roon) USB to Devialet and used my iphone as controller. It works completely well and without and issues.
(16-Oct-2016, 19:02)saxguy Wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?

The only supported functionality/protocol Devialet has mentioned thus far is uPNP. This will allow one to stream files from a uPnP server, like Minimserver which can also be installed on any NAS of course, over ethernet to the Devialet.

Personally I'm not a fan of uPnP. It's a protocol with a great deal of technical overhead and quality and user experience is very much dependant on the skills of the developer(s).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands