Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable binding posts
(02-Jun-2014, 21:04)Jwg1749 Wrote: Any thoughts why capacitance should be reduced with the covers off? The contact area between speaker cable and terminal isn't changed, is it?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Capacitance arises due to 'skin effect', which sees the majority of current flows occurring around the surface of the binding post where they interact with the plastic of the screw covers (as well as the banana plugs). Since air has a far lower dielectric coefficient than any plastic, capacitance is reduced when the plastic is taken away.

Cheers
Mark
www.sablonaudio.com

Lampizator Transport / Level 7 dac / First One amplifier / Benesch ACT / Sistrum stand / Bybee stealth conditioner / Sablon cabling, mostly developmental prototypes
It's not just plastic that is removed either there's a fair amount of copper in the end cap as well.
(03-Jun-2014, 12:02)Sablon Audio Wrote:
(02-Jun-2014, 21:04)Jwg1749 Wrote: Any thoughts why capacitance should be reduced with the covers off? The contact area between speaker cable and terminal isn't changed, is it?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Capacitance arises due to 'skin effect', which sees the majority of current flows occurring around the surface of the binding post where they interact with the plastic of the screw covers (as well as the banana plugs). Since air has a far lower dielectric coefficient than any plastic, capacitance is reduced when the plastic is taken away.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers, Mark.
Are you sure you're not confusing skin effect (which is internal to the conductor) and the electromagnetic field surrounding the conductor? It's the electromagnetic field that carries the signal, and electromagnetic fields can pass through plastic, can't they?
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Again the problem isn't the plastic, it's the metal Tongue
I'm even more confused now. Mark says it's the plastic, and you say it's the metal. How could removing a small metal element change the conductive properties of the terminal?

I'm not trying to be awkward; I just like to know why I'm doing something before I do it.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

My best guess is that more mass/metal retains the energy for much longer aka higher capacitance.
(03-Jun-2014, 17:25)Ekmanc Wrote: Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

My best guess is that more mass/metal retains the energy for much longer aka higher capacitance.

I haven't been able to find any scientific evidence to support the idea that low mass connectors are electronically superior. I did find this:
http://kleinnovations.com/klei-philosophy/
But the so-called "Eichmann ratio" ™ seems unsubstantiated.

I don't want to have a fight about this. I'd just like to find some concrete and impartial evidence.

Matt

London
(03-Jun-2014, 23:21)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(03-Jun-2014, 17:25)Ekmanc Wrote: Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

I haven't been able to find any scientific evidence to support the idea that low mass connectors are electronically superior. I did find this:
http://kleinnovations.com/klei-philosophy/
But the so-called "Eichmann ratio" ™ seems unsubstantiated.

I don't want to have a fight about this. I'd just like to find some concrete and impartial evidence.

Matt

Please don't fight about this Matt. Smile This is a super friendly forum.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Certainly worth doing and completely reversible too. Thanks for the tip.

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(04-Jun-2014, 00:11)GuillaumeB Wrote: Please don't fight about this Matt. Smile This is a super friendly forum.

Guillaume

Guillaume,
I'm simply trying to ascertain whether it's worth doing. Ekmanc asked me to go off and read up about low mass connectors, which I then did, and I reported back -- politely.
There's a difference between a friendly discussion and a fight. I'll only ever do the former. I have absolutely no time for rude internet trolls. On the other hand, I'd have thought a bit of gentle scepticism should be encouraged on this site.
Matt Angel

London