Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR
So with the latest version of AIR 2.1.2 how is everyone finding it? Is it much more stable? How about the sound quality?
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Did not test it. There are still unsolved problems with AIR on my Mac. No deepsleep for example. I like the sound quality via USB a lot and can't see any need for AIR stuff.
I'm still having some problems, but not sure I have the energy to get to the bottom of them. It seems to work fine for a couple of hours, then have a few minutes of complete melt-down, then gets itself together for another couple of hours, etc.

This is with a wired connection between my router and the Devialet, although wireless from my Mac.

I'm not sure I can reliably hear any sound quality differences between AIR and a more conventional source direct into the Devialet. Given that and the "convenience" issues associated with streaming from a (non-dedicated) computer, I haven't really worried too much about getting it working flawlessly.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I prefer 2.1.2 version. Im my setup is more stable. Sound quality is just better with 7.1 so it is impossible to compare with previous one in my case.
I think that Air is a Good idea because there is No Need for cables! Good cables costs a lot of money and AirPort Express is much cheaper:-)
If everything goes as planned I'll receive my D-Premier back as an upgraded 250 coming friday. It's been away since May 12th so I could only test the 7.0 beta firmware for a short while using the earlier 2.0.1 version of the AIR application (Windows).

Using AIR WiFi I could not notice any difference in stability of AIR but it had already been quite stable since 6.0.10 (just an occasional short tick here and there). I've always used it as my primary source of music since the AIR WiFi module became available as a free upgrade so I already optimized my WiFi and network/playback machine as well as I could.

You really need a strong signal and preferably a clear line of sight between the WiFi router/access point. If anything (especially metal) is in between I'd advise you to also test the connection (using a file transfer for example) at which you place the Devialet with a laptop because a high strength signal doesn't always guarantee faultless connection stability. Also always check for the best channel (so with the least number of near/strong 'competing' access points in that channel) as well with a tool like Inssider.

A dealer and another Devialet owner I know wrote that the wired ethernet input sounds best (with the WiFi disabled in the Devialet's config), followed by WiFi and then USB. I plan to take the ethernet route and already changed my network setup for it but will probably test WiFi again as well as soon as I have experimented with optimizing the 'music server'. I of course want to check their findings and find out myself but ethernet should, network technically, be the most robust solution so I'll start there.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I like the convenience of AIR - no computer in my room! It just doesn't sound quite as rich / smooth / relaxing as the USB/spdif converter I use.
(27-May-2014, 19:16)GuillaumeB Wrote: So with the latest version of AIR 2.1.2 how is everyone finding it? Is it much more stable? How about the sound quality?

I tried if and it seems to work fine - no dropouts, no crackling. However, the digital output from my Squeezebox Touch sounds as good, to my (admittedly) 52 year old ears, so no compelling reason to change to AIR. I still have a natural aversion to using a PC as a music server - please see previous sentence re: age! If all goes to plan, can see me ending up with Auralic Aries as sole spruce to the Devialet; AIR to be used for disaster recovery purposes.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
I like Air when I am using my iPad Mini (newest model) with CDs converted to AiFF files. This direct ,,connection" using AIR is very nice sounding in my system.
This is a very elegant and nice way of listening music. BTW Devialet says Air is the best connection;-)
(30-May-2014, 21:49)moreno1973 Wrote: BTW Devialet says Air is the best connection;-)
What else should they tell us again and again ;-)
Today I spent about 4 hours to check what is better sounding with Devialet....WIFI Air or USB cable with Audioquest Diamond USB.

I can say that WIFI Air is better sounding option. Especially better are micro details of sound. I can hear all these super micro sounds better.. they are more precise. Sound with WIFI Air is extremly transparent and very dynamic. For some persons it could be too much transparent and seems too bright...it depends on loudspeakers. But with Sonus Faber Auditor M which are very natural sounding speakers WIFI Air is great solution to listen music.

USB with Diamond cable is less transparent and seems more focused on mid tones. Voices sounds very nice but without freshness typical for WIFI Air...

I decided not to buy Audioquest Diamond USB and instead invest more money in perfect WIFI network in my home.