Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs 200
if this question has been answered - please forgive me and post the link. i am terrible at searching the archives.

just sold my Boulder 865 and will sell my source dac/transport - Simaudio 750D, as part of the change in direction.

have an opportunity to purchase 120 ensemble at a really good price point. currently i have wilson benesch trinity speakers - which i really like and would like to keep them, despite lack of SAM file for them.

here are my concerns and i would really appreciate if you give me your opinions or share experiences:

- i do not need phono stage, but i do need sub out (i also have paradigm reference 15 model) or do i need a sub with 120 ensemble with GT1 and SAM?
- i am leaning towards 200 model and keeping wilson benesch speakers - BUT - am i making a mistake by passing on the synergy that the ensemble has?
- based on my previous experiences - a bit more power (hence 200) always provides for a bit more dynamics and clarity - regardless of the speakers - most of the times... do i need kick in the nuts to drop these preconceived old notions and change the path now?
- does anyone know if the DAC circuitry in 120 is identical to the one in 200?
- wilson benesch vertex does have SAM file and both speakers use the same driver material, but slightly different motor and mount - wilson benesch engineer suggested a try might be in order - so i will try it and compare w/ and w/o SAM. any concerns here?
- 200 owners - will i be limited in power cable options for the 200 - like those cables with big connectors - will they fit the back of the unit. also - which power cable is recommended? i have cardas golden reference - which is a really good cable... is it outdated for this piece of technology, as it was suggested by someone? or the copper is the copper and as long as it is manufactured properly for this application (which this Cardas certainly is) it should be fine. please share your opinions/experiences
- speaker cable - i love my existing harmonic tech pro-9 reference cables (obviously - in my previous system) - any recommendations even though i DO understand that now i am discussing food and it's flavours which is different for anyone of us...
- do i plug 200 in amp or digital/analog receptacle of my furman it-reference conditioner?

i know, i know... too many questions but if you are like me - i know few will jump in and help your new brother from another mother...

thanks in advance...

Oggie
Hi osokolo,,
There is a recent thread that has almost the same title as yours, but the content is a bit different. Many of your questions are answered, or similar questions discussed, in other threads, so I think you would find quite a bit of information here.

I have a 120 and I do not lack for power, but I know nothing about the WB speakers or the other factors that might affect your listening. Some feel there is a difference in sound between the 120 and 200. There is more power in the 200 but I don't think there is any other difference between the models that would affect sound quality. Two dealers I've been to say the 200 is chosen in part for the power, but primarily for the extra inputs and the ability to go dual mono as a 400.

Physically all the expert units have the same space for cables and connections, and so taking your cables to a dealer may be the best option. If you want a sub, I think you need the pre out option board, which is not standard on the 120. (I don't know about the other models).

But apart from searching the site for experiences and opinions, you may feel that coming from a Boulder that you will not want the entry level Dev. Many ex-Naim owners here, as well as some other expensive, esoteric brands. Overall I don't recall any wave of sentiment that suggests the 120 is inadequate.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada