Poll: What model should I go for?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
200 today
24.14%
7 24.14%
130 in three months
0%
0 0%
220 in six months
65.52%
19 65.52%
Something else
10.34%
3 10.34%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
130, 220 or 200, what would you do?
I've been researching the purchase of a new amplifier and have come to the conclusion a Devialet would be a great fit for me.

The only challenging factor is price, I was planning on spending about €3K but going Devialet will require spending more (for more reward).

Looking around, I can purchase the following:

130 = €6000 new
220 = €7300 new
200 = €3500 very good second hand

I have enough to buy the 200 now. I could wait a few months and buy the 130, or wait six or so months and get the 220. What would you do?

My speakers are B&W 683 S2. I'll likely change them in a few years time, but extra power seems to get better results out of them. And I like the flexibility a 220 gives me if I wanted to go 440 even later on. Also resale prices aren't holding so well, so I think I'd end up taking a bit of a hit if I went 130 and then decided to upgrade to 220.

Any feedback and advice, greatly appreciated.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

Try them with your speakers and see what makes more sense and what sounds best to you.

The price between 130/220 is so close I'd get the 220 of the two - for resale and as you say you may want a 440.

A 200 would be a bargain and let you enjoy a new amp now, it may well be all you need. Personally I never thought that highly of my 200, but the Pro I enjoy a lot more. Others love(d) the 200.

It's good to canvas opinions, but at the end of the day the only important thing is what you think. Your listening preference, your hearing, your room, your speakers, your expectations - all have an impact. You can only be sure by trying. I've come to learn this the hard way!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I take your point about trying in context and learning from experience. The only caveat is I think whatever model I chose will set a new baseline for everything else.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I reckon that you need to think long and hard as to what your ultimate aim is. Getting this right could save you a lot of cash. I have never owned any of the amps you are considering, but I do have some observations from demos I have heard. The D200 can sound excellent when partnered with suitable speakers. Although with harder to drive speakers it can struggle. I suspect that with your B&W 683 S2's a D200 would work fine, but that is not the final story if you are considering upgrading speakers. A D200 may not work well with whatever you move onto next. Even in this scenario you could upgrade your D200 to a D400, at what would probably be very reasonable pricing. One option you have not mentioned is a second hand D250, which in turn offers the possibility to become a D800 with the purchase of a second hand companion. Personally I think the D250 is a superior beast to the D200, far more than an additional 50 watts would imply. Having said that, the Pro versions are a significant step up from the previous Expert models at all points in the range. You probably need to listen to an 'old' Expert and a new Pro to establish how much the Pro improvements matter to you. (this might be difficult to arrange?) I think you need to formulate a long term plan, with a view to thinking about what your 'end game' speakers might be. Getting this wrong could lead to you selling / part exchanging what you buy now, a good way to waste money. Get this right, what you buy now could be with you for many years, a much better way forward.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Go for instant gratification.. the 200 .. upgrade to a 400 at some time
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
What amp do you have right now?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Apr-2017, 13:22)Dr Tone Wrote: What amp do you have right now?

Two amp solution, Arcam FMJ A19 for the mids and highs, NAD C326BEE for the lows. Both are 50W.

(17-Apr-2017, 13:29)rchinn Wrote:

Two amp solution, Arcam FMJ A19 for the mids and highs, NAD C326BEE for the lows. Both are 50W.

I'd wait for the 220 Pro and to see what happens with the new streaming board.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hi rchinn,

I think that your question is one that quite a few prospective buyers might be asking.

If you can, listen to a D200 and then a D220 Pro I think you would get a good idea of the sonic differences between the previous Expert line and the current Expert Pro line. There are sonic differences between the two series, and that is something that you should really be clear about. Most, but not all, prefer the Pro series. A 200 vs 220 comparison would reduce the influence of power on the comparison.

If you decide on the Pro then it is a matter of power and amp outputs; I think the D220 has more connection options than the D130, but I'm not sure if that is the case.

People complain, or comment, on the value of used Devialet amps, but I think that as a recent company, we are now seeing Devialet come into a 'normal' position, where there is a market for the new amps, and a market for used amps, with a 'normal' volume of used products. So, it may be that if you are thinking of future upgrades or additions you could look to the used market now and /or in the future. We don't know where you are, so we could not help with observations about the used market in your area ( I do see you are shopping in Euro). Is a used D220 Pro a possible option?

Personally, I think the wisest decision is one that reduces or avoids multiple future upgrades; that is the best way to save your money and get a system that makes you happy for longer.... big talk I know, from a D120 to D220 Pro upgrader.

Finally, I think the Pro series is amazing, and I would go Pro at whatever model you decide on. Strangely, IMHO, the D130 seems to be much less popular than the more expensive items, so a D220 Pro might be the best bet for you, both in terms of the capability of the new amp as well as any future upgrades, such as other speakers or going dual-mono.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(17-Apr-2017, 14:14)Dr Tone Wrote:
(17-Apr-2017, 13:29)rchinn Wrote:

I'd wait for the 220 Pro and to see what happens with the new streaming board.

I totally agree with this.  The 200 would be instant gratification, but at some point you'll wish you opted for the 220 Pro -- because of sound quality (it does sound better) and because Devialet will better support the Pro series going forward once the new OS/streaming board is released.   

Keep an eye out for gently used 220 Pros.  They do come up and will save you a few bucks.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA