Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
220 pro - first hours and disappointed
Hello!

I have listened my new 220 pro with infinite core and upgraded dos and firmware and I am disappointed with the sound quality.

I had a Audio Analogue Fortíssimo amplifier, and the sound was warmer and richer.

The seller told me that I should wait some hours to get the best sound quality of my new 220 pro... but, this is true?
I am a little sceptic about this and I am thinking to return the 220 pro... what could you tell me about this?

Thanks,

João
Hi João,

Give it a little time. When switching from a warm amp to a Devialet at first it can seem like the Devialet is lacking something. After a little listening you may realize that the Devialet is more truthful- you may just have to get uses to the difference in presentation. Listen to some music with wide dynamic swings and complex orchestration to get a feel for its virtues -- violin concertos and operas are very good for this.

Of course you may just not like it!

Aaron

(24-Dec-2017, 01:51)tavares Wrote: Hello!

I have listened my new 220 pro with infinite core and upgraded dos and firmware and I am disappointed with the sound quality.

I had a Audio Analogue Fortíssimo amplifier, and the sound was warmer and richer.

The seller told me that I should wait some hours to get the best sound quality of my new 220 pro... but, this is true?
I am a little sceptic about this and I am thinking to return the 200 pro... what could you tell me about this?

Thanks,

João
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I had the same Experience. If the device is brand new it really needs 100 hours of play first. The difference is considerable
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
iamwappieI had the same Experience. If the device is brand new it really needs 100 hours of play first. The difference is considerable

Hello!

Yes, it is brand new, less than 10 hours of use now.

Anyway, it is somewhat strange to me that a digital device needs some hours of use to get the best sound from it... I am thinking that probably is our brain that gets use to it.... and this is not a true upgrade in terms of sound quality...

What you think?

Thanks for your reply,

João
the Audio Analogue Fortíssimo has a laid back presentation, the D220 will have more drive and rhythm.
Very different sounding amps, give the D220 some time (and maybe some Ansuz Darkz C feet)
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
@tavares. I too am someone who does not believe greatly in 'burn-in' time. The reason for this is that if you look at what components might actually change in any way during the first hours of use, most do not. The exception is perhaps capacitors, which do need a degree of use before they settle down. Of course, the 220Pro does use capacitors in it's very powerful power supply. That said, I have had three new Devialet's now, and despite my cynicism, I have found that they seem to improve during the first weeks running. This was certainly true of my 1000Pro, although after maybe 20 hours of use it was more or less there. Of course, it is possible to speculate the effects are phycological, you have spent a lot of cash on a new amp, you want it to sound amazing, you listen intently with your brain picking up on every slight negative, it can drive you a little crazy. Add this to the fact that it may sound a little different to what you are used to, and you get a combination of effects occurring at once.

My advice is to try to use it as much as possible for the next few days, try to enjoy the music without thing too much about the new amp, and re-visit this one next week. Your new Devialet might just surprise you, in a positive way, before too long.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Dec-2017, 08:00)tavares Wrote: iamwappieI had the same Experience. If the device is brand new it really needs 100 hours of play first. The difference is considerable

Hello!

Yes, it is brand new, less than 10 hours of use now.

Anyway, it is somewhat strange to me that a digital device needs some hours of use to get the best sound from it... I am thinking that probably is our brain that gets use to it.... and this is not a true upgrade in terms of sound quality...

What you think?

Thanks for your reply,

João

This is always good food for a debate. When my D120 was upgraded to the 220 it definitely sounded 'hollow' and not easy on the ears. Kind of music coming from a small box and a bad soundstage. Having an electronics background I can't explain it either just as I can't explain why a different digital interlink can make a sound difference of a power cable but it does. I eventually gave it a good 100 hours of play without listening in between (does that take away the 'ears getting used to' thought?) and then the sound was above D120 level.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
Warm it up with some full on bass heavy music at high volume for half an hour, then sit down and enjoy the music. Works a treat every time.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
tavares,

I know the audio analogue sound a bit, and it is quite 'soft' compared to many amps, not just the Devialet.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but that is not the style of reproduction you will likely get from Devialet. I can't tell if your last amp was the AA or the D200 Pro.... It may be that the Devialet sound is not for you; it is not for everybody, but I don't' think that it lacks 'warmth' and 'richness' in any way.

But I will say that, in my experience, the Devialet amp is very likely to change in character with 60 hours of play time. Seriously. I don't know why that should be the case but my D120 changed, as did my 220 Pro, after the upgrade. The difference was noticeable in the mids and upper frequencies.  A bit of a metallic 'sheen', as I described it, disappeared with some break in. I wasn't a believer or denier, and had never experienced it before, but I did notice it with the Devialet amps.

If you have the time, do what @Confused and @Pim suggest. Esp the listening without thinking about it too much part; that is a very good bit of advice, and one many audio folks need to be reminded of. I say that in part because sometimes I am most impressed when I hear something new, or become aware of a sound in a new way, and it happens when I'm doing other things, rather than concentrating on the music or analyzing the sound of the reproduction.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Dec-2017, 01:02)Damon Wrote: tavares,

I know the audio analogue sound a bit, and it is quite 'soft' compared to many amps, not just the Devialet.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but that is not the style of reproduction you will likely get from Devialet. I can't tell if your last amp was the AA or the D200 Pro.... It may be that the Devialet sound is not for you; it is not for everybody, but I don't' think that it lacks 'warmth' and 'richness' in any way.

But I will say that, in my experience, the Devialet amp is very likely to change in character with 60 hours of play time. Seriously. I don't know why that should be the case but my D120 changed, as did my 220 Pro, after the upgrade. The difference was noticeable in the mids and upper frequencies.  A bit of a metallic 'sheen', as I described it, disappeared with some break in. I wasn't a believer or denier, and had never experienced it before, but I did notice it with the Devialet amps.

If you have the time, do what @Confused and @Pim suggest. Esp the listening without thinking about it too much part; that is a very good bit of advice, and one many audio folks need to be reminded of. I say that in part because sometimes I am most impressed when I hear something new, or become aware of a sound in a new way, and it happens when I'm doing other things, rather than concentrating on the music or analyzing the sound of the reproduction.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. I’ll often notice something new in the music when I’m not listening intently  As @Confused pointed out, if you listen very closely, your brain might pick out what at first seem like negative impressions.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England