Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250 Pro
(15-Jul-2018, 17:40)rwjr44 Wrote:
(15-Jul-2018, 17:12)Damon Wrote:
(15-Jul-2018, 14:43)rwjr44 Wrote: Not very helpful.

Well, why did you decide on a D200 rather than a D120? 50% more expensive and not a great deal more power.

I would suggest that D250 owners chose that model because:
1. they wanted the extra 30 watts
2. they understood the casework provides better thermal dissipation, and so better current delivery at high loads for a longer time period
3. they liked the option of going dual mono to D800.
4. they listened to the D250 as well as other amps, and decided, based on listening, that the D250 was the better choice given their own judgemen, budget and upgrade options.

There were other differences that made the D200 decision easier. It has additional features AND I was able to get a decent discount. Also 80 watts is significantly more that the 30 watt differential between the 220 and 250. 

My request is simply what are the perceived differences heard by members of this forum and I thank you for your responses (in particular your second). I have been a member of this forum for a long time and have read much more detailed responses to similar questions than the one @NickB gave. In the spirit of this forum I won't mention his post again. I don't want this to become a matter of contention.

I am sorry for my short answer but in my defence if you had given the reasons you could not audition I would have given a more detailed response. Having taken my spare D250 to Greg’s as he stated above the difference between the D220 and the D250 are very obvious with an immediate increase in control and clarity.

We also went to my brothers to do a test of Devialet verses a full Naim system with active isobariks and a nac 52 with super cap and 3 NAP 250, even with the isobariks in passive mode my D120 was better so we did a scale of D120, D220, D250 and the my D1000 and the increases in control and clarity and sheer scale were obvious at each step but I think the D220 to D250 was the largest step. He now has a D250 as well.

At the Oxford Audio event the other day I actually asked the million dollar question to one of the Devialet guys, D440 or D250 which is best the answer was the D250 in his opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(15-Jul-2018, 19:47)INickB Wrote: We also went to my brothers to do a test of Devialet verses a full Naim system with active isobariks and a nac 52 with super cap and 3 NAP 250, even with the isobariks in passive mode my D120 was better so we did a scale of D120, D220, D250 and the my D1000 and the increases in control and clarity and sheer scale were obvious at each step but I think the D220 to D250 was the largest step. He now has a D250 as well.

At the Oxford Audio event the other day I actually asked the million dollar question to one of the Devialet guys, D440 or D250 which is best the answer was the D250 in his opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I’ll go with that. Thinking about it, if you to have D440 where would you go thereafter for an upgrade? Unfortunately nowhere. You will have to sell your current amps and then start reinvesting in the next level which starts with the D250. That is a serious expense. Not getting trapped into the 440 path in the first place would be beneficial. If you go with a D250, you will get almost best performance and also know you have allowed yourself an upgrade path. Whether or not you need to use it is another matter.
NickB,
has the answer from Devialet changed recently after the Pro upgrade? I remember someone (confused??) from the forum had asked Mathieu P. from Devialet and without hesitation his response at the time was 440. But that was while ago.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I really cannot say what the official position would/should be, we were discussing our findings in our test of almost the complete range of Devialet products and I asked the question and got that response. We were also talking about the fact that both of us (Greg and I) no longer think about the box swapping (soooooo many amplifiers) we used to do but just enjoy listening to beautifully presented music.

Another thing to note is that the D250 now appears on the Devialet web site as an option to buy without digging to find it.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(16-Jul-2018, 06:11)sam1000 Wrote: NickB,
has the answer from Devialet changed recently after the Pro upgrade?  I remember someone (confused??) from the forum had asked Mathieu P. from Devialet and without hesitation his response at the time was 440. But that was while ago.

Yes, I did ask about this at the time of the D170 upgrade to 200 and the launch of the D400.  Actually, Mathieu P's response at the time was that the 400 was better than the 250.  (the 440 did not exist then!)  The reason given was that the dual mono configuration of the 400 provided lower distortion and that the 400 has more power.

The 200 and 250 had identical internals, but now there are some differences between the electronics in the 220Pro versus 250Pro, but I have no idea how significant these are for sound quality.

I had been staying out of this thread for the simple reason I have never heard a 220Pro head to head with a 250Pro.  I have heard both, but only at different times, in different rooms with different speakers, so impossible to sensibly judge the delta between the amps.

But there is one other advantage that the 250Pro has over the 220Pro that has not been mentioned yet, I think it is a much nicer thing.  This is subjective and personal, but I much prefer the look of the 250's "D-Premier" style case.  (or the "muffin top case", if you prefer)  The 250 also has a slightly nicer remote.

So for me the answer is that the 250Pro is a fine sounding amplifier that looks nice, and also has a direct upgrade path to the 1000Pro.  Plus, for those that like simplicity, it is currently Devialet's ultimate "one box" solution.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
My apologies to those who took my original post to be negative towards the 250 Pro. It was meant purely to seek information. I didn't heed my advice given 35 years ago - DON'T POST IN HASTE.

I have heard the Bel Canto Black X in my system and think that it is a great unit. I do want to listen to the 250 Pro as I am quite fond of the Devialet sound. I am considering the 250 Pro because there are times (few) that my 220 doesn't quite control my speakers. I think the 250 will do fine. I don't want to go the 440 route because one unit is sufficient for my inclinations.

Thanks.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(15-Jul-2018, 19:47)NickB Wrote: We also went to my brothers to do a test of Devialet verses a full Naim system with active isobariks and a nac 52 with super cap and 3 NAP 250, even with the isobariks in passive mode my D120 was better so we did a scale of D120, D220, D250 and the my D1000 and the increases in control and clarity and sheer scale were obvious at each step but I think the D220 to D250 was the largest step.
Was this a carefully level matched comparison? I found when doing an extensive (a couple of weeks back and forth) 200 vs 400 test at home that getting them very close with an SPL meter made the differences small, I almost didn't buy the 200 companion.
FWIW I think the 220 is better in many ways than the 400, not that relevant to this thread though, and I think it's very speaker dependant.

P.S. I'm slightly surprised the 120 beat out the active Naim system, but the 200 was an easy win over my old 52/SC/250 so I should not be that surprised.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(16-Jul-2018, 09:47)Confused Wrote: So for me the answer is that the 250Pro is a fine sounding amplifier that looks nice, and also has a direct upgrade path to the 1000Pro.  Plus, for those that like simplicity, it is currently Devialet's ultimate "one box" solution.

Sorry for the intrusion, but what is the way d upgrade from 250Pro to 1000 Pro..?

Two 250 Pro go to 1000Pro... Huh
Yes, exactly.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Jul-2018, 20:14)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, exactly.

Thx for the clarification, unknown this. Now I know why there are not 1000 simple ...je,je  Big Grin