Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2x Phantom Gold in Stereo Mode for Gaming and Home Theatre with lowest lag possible?
Hi,

when released I bought 2x Phantom Gold together with a dialogue .. but ultimately found out that they do not quite fit my purpose. My two biggest issues where:

1) Input Lag
I sometimes connect my PC to my 65" flat screen. HDMI to the TV and optical cable to the dialogue. Using this setup I noted some serious lag .. the audio was a bit "slower" than the image. When watching movies via my Apple TV this is not an issue because it is quite nicely synced but this obviously does not work for realtime gaming since you want your controller commands executed as fast as possible (TV latency around 20ms) and not wait for image and/or sound.

2) Power Consumption
The two gold phantoms had no real "Standby Mode". Even when not used and everything else off they took quite a lot of power so I always had to manually pull the plug.

Now for the input lag issue ... it seems like the "Direct Optical" mode is the way to go now? Has anyone measured the input lag when you connect two phantoms via an optical splitter to a TV + PC or console? So for this setup I would not need the Dialog anymore? How cumbersome is it to switch between Direct Optical mode and say .. if you want to stream just music from you iPhone to both Phantoms?

Is there a better Standby solution?
I found in my optical direct configuration that there is absolutely no lip sync issues. My wife, who is extremely sensitive to lip sync issues is finally happy with the phantoms. I've attached my phantoms to a typical home theater receiver and use a sonos connect attached to the receiver direct streaming content to the phantoms. My configuration is 3 golds for my L/C/R channels and a pair of Reactor 900s for my SR/SL channels.

To switch between optical direct and "normal" mode requires a 3 button reset. It would annoy me if I had to do that to get streaming content to them on a regular basis.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
how do you manage the 5 optical cables? ... the connection to the reveiver?

do you leave them always on?
(19-Jun-2019, 22:17)pixelwave Wrote: how do you manage the 5 optical cables? ... the connection to the reveiver?

I leave mine on all of the time now.  I'm searching for a powerstrip that can be controlled by the Logitech One universal remote and will use that to turn then off/on.

I use an ADC that converts the RCA analog to Toslink for each channel.  

Here is a link with the details of my setup...
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-Home-Theater
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(19-Jun-2019, 22:28)njaiswal Wrote:
(19-Jun-2019, 22:17)pixelwave Wrote: how do you manage the 5 optical cables? ... the connection to the reveiver?

I leave mine on all of the time now.  I'm searching for a powerstrip that can be controlled by the Logitech One universal remote and will use that to turn then off/on.

I use an ADC that converts the RCA analog to Toslink for each channel.  

Here is a link with the details of my setup...
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-Home-Theater

Any chance you could draw a diagram of the setup?
Attached is a quick sketch. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Files
.docx   anthem diagram.docx (Size: 735.38 KB / Downloads: 62)
If only Devialet could provide such a device, a Multilog, to avoid all those digital/analog/digital/analog conversions...
Compared to what the Dialog does, it's not even hard. Optical in -> decode -> 5 x optical out.
(21-Jun-2019, 17:07)booshtukka Wrote: Compared to what the Dialog does, it's not even hard. Optical in -> decode -> 5 x optical out.

Throw in a HDMI/USB/whatever and I really struggle to think of anything on the market that competes, on simplicity or on quality. Such a “no brainer” going wanting for all this time... makes you wonder.
(21-Jun-2019, 04:56)njaiswal Wrote: Attached is a quick sketch. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for this!
I have two Phantom Golds, and am trying to avoid purchasing a Dialogue box... I can connect them to my TV with the guidance of a great thread here which leveraged a toslink splitter and a hidden menu in Spark- but the issue is when I want to stream via Spotify everything kind of falls apart... (unless I stream Spotify via my tv)