Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
440 Pro vs 400 Monoblocks
@Cadguy

Good to know about the Moon gear. I like it very much. In terms of sonic character I'd classify it as 'clean', as I would Linn or Classe´or Musical Fidelity. I had a Classe´all in one years ago, and it was very pure, and ... eh, I've run out of adjectives.

In comparison, Naim (which I do like) seems to have more 'thrust' but has a bit of bloom on the bass and is, somewhat, softened on the treble. Though, as you go up in the Naim range, things get cleaner and more pure*.

Having heard Sim Audio Moon gear, my own opinion is that the Devialet is more 'Class A' sounding. @Confused and @thumb5 will laugh at me here, as I've stomped my feet about audio review terminology, but the Devialet is ... shit, just more 'organic'. Perhaps you could say that Moon / Linn/ Classe´err on the side of purity, and push aside anything that might be 'fat'. But somehow the Devialet manages to keep the flavour without the fat. I guess there is more of the warm meat still on the bone.

OK, clearly I'm blending audio with food, but I hope you get the idea. In short: the Devialet is warmer/ more organic/ has more class A fat and juice than the otherwise excellent others I mentioned. I'm going to get smacked around for this post, I'm sure. But at my age, who cares. BTW, feel free to hit me up to talk about pizza, osso bucco, risotto, pasta carbonara, fresh olive oil, roasted Poblano peppers, cioppino, basses and amplifiers, motorcycles, Vespas or flight sims.

* When I bought my D120 in 2015, it was clear that the sonic equivalent in Naim was the 300 series, in the $20,000.00 + price range. It was (almost) the last amp I'd ever buy. But seriously, the Pro CI level of Devialet amp is solidly better. Ask my wife >Electro dance party at 11:00 pm.

PS. the D120 was $7,000.00 plus tax in 2015. Buy the 440 Pro CI. I insist.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Just one last caveat (because of the price point mentioned): make sure you can see/touch/hear the 440 CI before parting with your cash. This price is a few thousand below the average price on hifishark. Beware of scams.
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL
(03-Apr-2021, 20:01)Cadguy Wrote: I tried the Benchmark DAC3 preamp with my Moon W5 and the sound was too cold and clinical for me. Are the Experts in the same vein?

Sadly I haven't heard a DAC3, but I wouldn't describe the Expert sound as cold or clinical.  I'd rather say it was neutral, detailed, smooth and unfatiguing (on good recordings).

@Damon - no smirks or argument from me about your description!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The ad for the 440PRO does not have pictures of the actual units he is selling, it only has pictures from Devialet's website. He also lists a 220 PRO again without actual pics. He has a website and it shows pictures of his store. But all of this and the too good to be true price makes me very leery. I'll pass on the 440PRO. The price of the 400 monos is a bit high compared to those listed at hifishark. For just $5000 more there is a BelCanto Black ACI 600 for sale.
@Cadguy
That is interesting about the use of stock photos, and I think you're wise to be cautious. That to me is a potential warning flag, especially if he has a website and store. And a lower than normal price would not be unusual for a private sale, but if it is some sort of online retail operation, with a physical store, then I'd expect the price to be a bit above a normal private sale price.

Do you think we would benefit from knowing who this seller is, and if so, would you feel comfortable at least sharing the name? No commentary needed.

Good luck with the amplifier search.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
@Damon On Canuck Audiomart search for Devialet 440 PRO and you can see the ad and the seller has very little feedback.
(04-Apr-2021, 17:59)Cadguy Wrote: The ad for the 440PRO does not have pictures of the actual units he is selling, it only has pictures from Devialet's website. He also lists a 220 PRO again without actual pics. He has a website and it shows pictures of his store. But all of this and the too good to be true price makes me very leery. I'll pass on the 440PRO. The price of the 400 monos is a bit high compared to those listed at hifishark. For just $5000 more there is a BelCanto Black ACI 600 for sale.

Cadguy

The pricing he is asking, is in the ballpark for 440 Pro Ci here in Canada.
I had my 440 Pro Ci up for sale listed at $11250.00 cnd.

I split the 2 units, and ended up sell them for a total of $10950.00 shipping extra.

Call the dealer and ask him to send you a couple of pictures of the unit, if he says they are still in a sealed box, tell him 
pictures of the sealed box will do.

Good luck on your hunt

Brian
Ottawa, Canada.
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

@Cadguy

I did look at CAM, and I only saw one add for a D440 and that is at Audiofi, here in Vancouver. The person who runs that shop has been selling audio here in Vancouver for years. If that is the same ad you are looking at, I know him. I bought my D120 Pro from him, when he was a Liquid Sound, and bought Neat speakers, Naim and Classe´equpiment from him when he was with HiFi Centre. And other, more minor products as well; Sonos, cables, headphones. Later, he helped me sell some of my Naim equipment on CAM after I bought the Devialet.

I do not want to get into the middle of this but, if we are talking about the same store and person, I believe that he is honest, sincere and dedicated to audio. I know of another member here who recently bought Magico speakers from him.

As I say, I don't want to fly any flags but if this is the same person and store, I would absolutely buy from him. PM me if you want to talk. His store is about 5 minutes from my house. I'd happily see him and confirm the actual product in his store. Or call him directly. Charming South African accent.

Second Edit: Please, I am in no way pushing you towards Devialet in general, or this amp in particular. I only felt that I could offer some personal information as this person is someone I know, and have peronally dealt with for years.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks Damon, that's great to know! I'll contact him about the 440PRO.
I know I have to make my own decision but I'm considering a Bel Canto Black ACI600 integrated store Demo for sale. The list price is $34,000 cad and its going for $15,000 cad, so $4000 cad more than the used 440PRO.

Advantages of the Bel Canto Black ACI 600:

1. Full factory warranty.
2. Bel Canto is in Minnesota, much closer than France and Bel Canto has a very good reputation for customer service.
3. Bass/Treble tilt adjustment which could be useful for poorer recordings.
4. Subwoofer output with full bass management capability.
5. One box. (I'm looking simplify things).
6. Reviews of the ACI600 say it has a warm full bodied sound.

Disadvantages Bel Canto Black ACI600

1. Would cost me $4000 cad more and I still want to upgrade my speakers
2. No SAM
3. Maybe less open and airy sound?

I know only I can decide.
That does sound like a great deal. And I suspect used or demo Bel Canto amps come up for sale very rarely. It would probably be an easier resale if you decided to change in the future. And factory support on the same continent is very appealing.

The Devialet does have tone controls, with adjustable frequency points, so you can select the frequency at which the tone control acts. That said, I've only played with it briefly. There is also specific subwoofer connectivity with the Devialet, but I've also never tried it. Its on my 'might do' list.

In your case, I'd probably be more temped by the Bel Canto, but only because the name is Italian. And the black matches my eyes. The reviews do make that amp stand out, and it could certainly be the last suit you ever wear... erm, I mean the last amp you ever buy (bad joke from Men in Black).
Damon
Vancouver, Canada