Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
440 Pro vs 400 Monoblocks
(02-Apr-2021, 17:00)Damon Wrote: However two things about the SQ difference, and then I'll stop. I felt the Expert series (400 Exp in your case) tended, in comparison with the ProCI, so present things in a bigger 'ball' of sound, with the midrange a bit forward, spatially. The Pro / Pro CI pulled the sounds apart, so the soundstage was much bigger, with the elements more distinct and separate. But some felt it was less ... cohesive? Not me, but some said so. The ProCI also improved on tone and detail and bass clarity. Stunning, really.

I guess I will chip in on that as well. I am an owner of the 400, and couldn't agree more that the 400 tends to present in a big 'ball' of sound, but that is until you change the inter-connection from the original Crystal cable to an Audioquest cable using XLR convertor. I change it to an Audioquest Coffee with a RCA-XLR convertor and the soundstage opens up. The positioning and imaging is also more precise compared to the big 'ball' of sound image using Crystal cable. If anyone is using the 400, I strongly suggest changing that inter-connect cable to something else than the original Crystal cable.