Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A touch of brightness
And start with -2db on the treble. -5db seems a lot...
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
No success with any of the above . The bass increase just reduced the detail in the whole presentation and I dont think it reduced the brightness, just overpowered it if you like.
The reduction in the treble did reduce the brightness and obviously it would do. But it had a detrimental effect on the clarity and vocals faded into the background quite a bit. I tried it starting at -1, and went up to -5, bit for me the trade off was too much. So for me the standard settings sound the best. I can live with the brightness as overall the sound is excellent and like I have posted above I am now pretty convinced it is my hearing.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I would agree its probably your hearing as you are getting the same results with various sources.
I feel i may have a similar effect from my hearing, tho maybe to a lesser extent

It would also make sense that the PMC 23 would be the worse offender as they appeared quite forward in the highs, at least when i auditioned them. In fact when i auditioned them with a Naim system (which i feel is also quite forward and excitable) i was getting a continuous ringing where the high frequencies seemed to merge together. The only time i managed to tame this is to switch the music down to something like Bob Marley.

Out of curiosity what was your experience with the Sennheiser HD800? they are known for edging on the bright side
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(09-Nov-2015, 20:49)tyefighter Wrote: I would agree its probably your hearing as you are getting the same results with various sources.
I feel i may have a similar effect from my hearing, tho maybe to a lesser extent

It would also make sense that the PMC 23 would be the worse offender as they appeared quite forward in the highs, at least when i auditioned them. In fact when i auditioned them with a Naim system (which i feel is also quite forward and excitable) i was getting a continuous ringing where the high frequencies seemed to merge together. The only time i managed to tame this is to switch the music down to something like Bob Marley.

Out of curiosity what was your experience with the Sennheiser HD800? they are known for edging on the bright side

I loved the look and fit of the HD800, but the brightness was exactly the reason I went for the HE1000 in the end. The HD800s are awesome too, but I felt the HE1000 were as good in every department but lacked the brightness.
Trust me I wanted to like the HD800 more as half the price. I even used the equaliser in JRiver to tame the treble. This did help and at times I thought that I was going to plump for the 800, but as soon as I put the HE1000 back on there was no contest really.
I much prefer the look and fit of the 800, but its all about the SQ.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I clearly have too much time on my hands right now Big Grin
Seriously though I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet right now about this brightness. I think it could well be my ears.

So this morning a mates huge rug was borrowed.........its a bloody big deep one too, and i dont think it made any difference at all.
I am pleased I did this as was reluctant to spend cash on this if it did not work.

The only thing that works is reducing the treble down by -2.5, but like I have said in previous posts it does lose dynamics I think. The problem for me is I dont understand the technical aspects of all of this so dont know where to start. I would have little chance of experimenting without throwing cash at it, so I think its maybe just something I will have to live with.

For now treble reduced by -2.5 and I will leave it at this for a while to adjust
Just to add the brightness I can live with ....the sibilance in voices less so.
have you tried downgrading the firmware to 7.1.3 beta?
from reading on here there seems to be quite a different sound signature
not tried it myself as i am still quite new to the Devialet

Rufus very kindly shared it here
https://devialetchat.com/downloads/firmware/
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(10-Nov-2015, 19:24)tyefighter Wrote: have you tried downgrading the firmware to 7.1.3 beta?
from reading on here there seems to be quite a different sound signature
not tried it myself as i am still quite new to the Devialet

Rufus very kindly shared it here
https://devialetchat.com/downloads/firmware/

I did not even know you could do this. Might give it a try .....although that configurator is so buggy I always have to redo every setting a few times.
This has me thinking though as the brightness never bothered me early on in the year
had a quick look through the thread http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1587
while finding the link for firmware 7.1.3 and there was mention of the older firmware being the slightest bit more laid back and fuller sounding
could be exactly what you need or not but worth a try i would think Smile

The Cotswolds England
Yes worth a try, but I have no idea how to get this on to the sd card. I have downloaded the zip file to my PC. That is about as far as I know what to do.