Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQ Mythical Creature series speaker cables
Are there network boxes involved with these speaker cables akin to TA or MIT? Wonder how they are lowering the noise floor.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(07-Feb-2019, 22:56)sam1000 Wrote: Are there network boxes involved with these speaker cables akin to TA or MIT? Wonder how they are lowering the noise floor.

Presumably they provide independently verified measured proof of the lowered noise floor if that’s what they claim they do? If not, I can pretty well guess the answer as to ‘how’.

Also, how much noise floor does a Devialet have, if you believe the specs, none.

Just sayin. Test blind. See if you can pick em.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-Feb-2019, 23:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Also, how much noise floor does a Devialet have, if you believe the specs, none.

No need for specs. When I got my D200, I paused the music and turned the volume all the way up. It was 1 in the morning so the noise in the house was minimal. I couldn't hear one but of hiss from the tweeter. 

I just did the same with the Od'A and got the same result. It's day time here now so the background noise is higher.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(08-Feb-2019, 00:41)Pim Wrote: No need for specs. When I got my D200, I paused the music and turned the volume all the way up. It was 1 in the morning so the noise in the house was minimal. I couldn't hear one but of hiss from the tweeter. 

I just did the same with the Od'A and got the same result. It's day time here now so the background noise is higher.

I gotta agree totally with you ... Volume UP all the way to 0.0 dB and my ear cannot detect any hiss off the tweeter. Thereafter, pulled out my SPL meter with its lowest range being 32~80 dB (A-weighing or C-weighing) and that didn't register anything on the meter either when held 1/2 inch from the tweeter .. so that means the Devialets are quieter than 30 dB. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(08-Feb-2019, 03:15)audio_engr Wrote:
(08-Feb-2019, 00:41)Pim Wrote: No need for specs. When I got my D200, I paused the music and turned the volume all the way up. It was 1 in the morning so the noise in the house was minimal. I couldn't hear one but of hiss from the tweeter. 

I gotta agree totally with you ... Volume UP all the way to 0.0 dB and my ear cannot detect any hiss off the tweeter. Thereafter, pulled out my SPL meter with its lowest range being 32~80 dB (A-weighing or C-weighing) and that didn't register anything on the meter either when held 1/2 inch from the tweeter .. so that means the Devialets are quieter than 30 dB. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity.

I didn't think of this when I first posted but I think there might be a catch here. The Expert uses a digital volume control. Unlike analog volume control, which is basically a controllable resistor with the amplifier at full blast in front of it, I don't know where the digital volume control sits. Could it be part of the whole DSP system? In that case it's quite possible the amps just don't get any input or are not even turned on when there's no input from a source.

If anyone has more information on this, please let us know. We might have to open a different thread for this though.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Tried the Thunderbird Zero w/ Thunderbird Bass Bi-wire cable into my system .. once again, the absence of any hint of noise startles you whilst music making carries on in a very cool & calm manner ... all the attributes that I said earlier repeats with the primary difference between the [Firebird Zero (that has Silver) w/ Thunderbird Bass] vs. [Thunderbird Zero (all Copper) w/ Thunderbird Bass] is that the all copper cable sounds warmer, slightly more analog with a little less transparent of the fine detaisl that was observed with the silver Firebird Zero w/ copper Thunderbird Bass. 

I do need to listen more but I get a gut feeling that with my speakers, i.e. B&W 802 D3, the all copper (slightly warmish) cable is a better fit (and economical too as it is approx. 60% cheaper). Also, with these Mythical Creature cables, all the additional gains I observed going from bi-wiring to bi-amping seems to be available to me in bi-wiring ... 

So, from economics point of view, it would make sense to sell off the 2nd 440-Pro-CI and utilise those funds towards upgrading my existing Redwood & Oak cables and keep aside some if the 'new' AQ Firebird PC should turn out sensational ...  Blush

P.S. I have to say this again ... the absence of noise is a 'real winner' here ... WoW !!  kudos to Garth Powell !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(08-Feb-2019, 03:43)Pim Wrote: I didn't think of this when I first posted but I think there might be a catch here. The Expert uses a digital volume control. Unlike analog volume control, which is basically a controllable resistor with the amplifier at full blast in front of it, I don't know where the digital volume control sits. Could it be part of the whole DSP system? In that case it's quite possible the amps just don't get any input or are not even turned on when there's no input from a source.

If anyone has more information on this, please let us know. We might have to open a different thread for this though.

Surely there must be an easy way to test this - "a silent track"? - and then crank the volume up as it plays? Must be something floating in the internet somewhere? Piqued my interest this - gonna search.
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
(08-Feb-2019, 23:54)zambie Wrote:
(08-Feb-2019, 03:43)Pim Wrote: I didn't think of this when I first posted but I think there might be a catch here. The Expert uses a digital volume control. Unlike analog volume control, which is basically a controllable resistor with the amplifier at full blast in front of it, I don't know where the digital volume control sits. Could it be part of the whole DSP system? In that case it's quite possible the amps just don't get any input or are not even turned on when there's no input from a source.

Surely there must be an easy way to test this - "a silent track"? - and then crank the volume up as it plays? Must be something floating in the internet somewhere? Piqued my interest this - gonna search.

The silence of the lambs soundtrack? Mehhh...
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Ok folks - slightly unrelated topic - so happy to start a separate thread on this if necessary
downloaded a silent wav track - pressed play and cranked volume all the way upto 0db on the remote - couldn't hear anything from 10feet... couldn't here ANYTHING (not even the slightest speaker hum/ hiss) from less than a foot. Cranked the volume on the remote to +15db - same outcome!! Incase anyone wants to test, feel free to download from: 
http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
(09-Feb-2019, 00:39)zambie Wrote:

Ok folks - slightly unrelated topic - so happy to start a separate thread on this if necessary
downloaded a silent wav track - pressed play and cranked volume all the way upto 0db on the remote - couldn't hear anything from 10feet... couldn't here ANYTHING (not even the slightest speaker hum/ hiss) from less than a foot. Cranked the volume on the remote to +15db - same outcome!! Incase anyone wants to test, feel free to download from: 
http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html

Hmmm.... MP3 silence.... not high end enough for me  Big Grin
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.