Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
Well after spending much of the evening listening to music all I can say is what a fantastic purchase. Highly recommended.

Kick drums have more solidity/texture to them. The soundstage is more open. Longer decays and more bloom in the midrange. There is almost a complete absence of leading edge in that unnatural way. It's easier to turn the music up louder and there is no fatigue. Of course these things are difficult to put into words without resorting to all the usual audiophile clichés (which I generally hate reading in other people's reviews).

Some of my best recordings are just jaw dropping now. And the ones that were a little challenging in parts are so much better now.

Tomorrow I will have some fun with Qobuz streaming.

Blows my Paul Pang with posh LPS out of the water. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Wow, pretty strong feedback. Great news!

What's your chain with the Aqvox Guillaume? I assume you're not using AIR?
Just trying to figure how much impact its having for you in your setup, versus what I might get by just adding the switch next tp the Devialet and using it as the final connection (its too small to replace my main switch).

And so the mains adaptor is EU - with an adapter?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(21-Mar-2017, 23:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Wow, pretty strong feedback.  Great news!

What's your chain with the Aqvox Guillaume?  I assume you're not using AIR?
Just trying to figure how much impact its having for you in your setup, versus what I might get by just adding the switch next tp the Devialet and using it as the final connection (its too small to replace my main switch).

Not using it with AIR at the moment, it's feeding my totaldac d1. I imagine it will be very interesting with AIR.

My Draytek router is connected directly to it via a 20M of Cat7. The Aqvox sits next to the hi-fi and has a few other things connected to it too. 

I have to say it's surprisingly good! I'm using a Schuko to UK adapter (my own since theirs weren't ready yet and I didn't want to wait much longer). I will eventually get a Schuko to US so that I can connect it to my power conditioner. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Would this be of any goodness if you have a Melco?
(21-Mar-2017, 23:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Wow, pretty strong feedback.  Great news!

What's your chain with the Aqvox Guillaume?  I assume you're not using AIR?

I use this connection right now but with a regular switch but have plans on a Aqvox.

I talked to a computer guy and he told me that using the router as a switch could affect things as the switch often found in routers is of less quality and a seperate good quality switch that handles the audio only could be a good thing to try.

Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I'd personally like to see some measurements of these things - not just noise removal on the network lines (there are ones for the giso isolator on their website) but also some from the DAC output showing it made a difference and that there is a real problem to solve. Sadly I doubt that's going to happen so it's back to taking a punt and listening but also wondering what is there and what may be placebo.
I see they have a 30 day trial period, so I suppose there's time to get someone to help with a home made blind test.

Hard to know what to try next. Something like this, a lan isolator, power conditioning, or just new speakers (if I could ever find any suitable ones in my budget. )

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

One interesting fact about this unit is that it is made out of metal and rejects RFI. Another interesting point in my opinion is that the switch does re-clocking which is a first for a switch. Good plan would be to try it with my SOTM-SMS200.
Hi Guillaume, thank you for sharing your impressions! The device looks like a winner! Cool 

The type of changes/character of the changes in SQ you describe I recognize very much from my own adventures in optimizing the digital side of my system so I think the device does what it claims. Of course it's for anyone to find out if it warrants the purchase. I may take the risk tio try after things settle a bit here but you (and others) have certainly spiked my interest. Smile

(I almost forgot I should receive a Paul Pang modded switch soon too in a deal I made to acquire a LPS-1. So going to try that first too.)

Enjoy!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(22-Mar-2017, 11:28)octaviars Wrote: I use this connection right now but with a regular switch but have plans on a Aqvox.

I talked to a computer guy and he told me that using the router as a switch could affect things as the switch often found in routers is of less quality and a seperate good quality switch that handles the audio only could be a good thing to try.

I agree with that and it's something I've been doing in my system for a long time as well. One other reason you did not mention is that the router (if we're talking about the router that connects us to the Internet) has a noisy cable or other telco connection. Especially 'cable' (as in CATV) is very dirty, one needs to take great care in isolating it from ones system.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Is that wall wart a 120VAC with a 230VAC adapter?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2