Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8
I have to admit I am baffled why a switch like this makes such a difference!  However, the user reviews I have seen so far have all been positive, and thinking this through, I think a network switch like this could be part of my system for quite a while.  Consider it will work with the microRendu, something new like the dCS Network Bridge, the forthcoming super clocking SOtM SMS, or indeed to streamer to crush all streamers, the new Devialet board.   Angel   Anyway, I have ordered one.  According to their website 'Please note - due to high order volume, delivery time is about two weeks with increasing tendency ....'   So based on that, I'm guessing my own 'user review' will appear around about Easter time, all going well. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(27-Mar-2017, 15:17)Confused Wrote: I have to admit I am baffled why a switch like this makes such a difference!  However, the user reviews I have seen so far have all been positive, and thinking this through, I think a network switch like this could be part of my system for quite a while.  Consider it will work with the microRendu, something new like the dCS Network Bridge, the forthcoming super clocking SOtM SMS, or indeed to streamer to crush all streamers, the new Devialet board.   Angel   Anyway, I have ordered one.  According to their website 'Please note - due to high order volume, delivery time is about two weeks with increasing tendency ....'   So based on that, I'm guessing my own 'user review' will appear around about Easter time, all going well. Shy

Nice one Confused! I doubt you'll be disappointed.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Haha nice Confused! Smile And yes, an ethernet switch will probably not leave your system anytime soon. But of course some day it'll probably be superseded by an improved version 2 or similar stuff from competitors. But who cares, or better said: I wouldn't! It's just technology (and a bit of money). Wink

I've been thinking about ordering one too since last week a deal I made for a LPS-1 plus some other streaming stuff including a Paul Pang modded switch didn't go through. But I've decided to wait for the JCAT network card (May 2017). This'll likely be a better fit for/in my system where the SMS-200 is directly connected to my music server without anything in that same path. It'll come closer to my philosophy of fixing things at the source as well and of course I wouldn't have to find space for yet another little box. For most people a higher quality separate switch is of the course the better/only viable solution.

Curious to what you think of it but I'm sure you'll write a nice review like you always do. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(26-Mar-2017, 20:16)I\m afraid I'm using Audioquest Diamond ones, but in my experience the difference between Ethernet cables has always been small. There are many decent cheaper options out there now (I got my AQs a couple of years ago). This is a whole new scale of change. Like changing source or something. Wrote: Guillaume

i just want to mention the new Supra Cat 8 stp patch ,its a cheap tweak just to try out,some even prefer it to the Diamond ,i haven't compared myself,buts on my list and i have ordered a couple just to see when i have time

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/cat...1001908589
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Sounds good - at least it's a bit more affordable (and realistically priced to what they cost to make).

But I'm a bit confused - I thought cat 6 or below was meant to be better for audio because you can get unshielded, which was supposed to be better for noise isolation (no shield 'wire' to travel along), whereas 7+ has to be shielded for the spec?

I'm definitely more inclined to try this. Although aqvox and sotm 'tune' theirs specifically for audio data - quite how I've no idea since I doubt you could tell what the data is while it's travelling along the cable. I might actually email one of them and ask.

And stop buying these Aqvox switches and writing about them everyone! I'm trying to save my money!!!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I own two Supra CAT 8's and removed the metal shells from the connectors on one side of the cable. This'll keep most of the shielding intact but will break any ground loops through the shield that could exist. I used the connector without shield on the 'clean' side. The same is often done in power cables used for audio.

Using a LAN isolator accomplishes the same and adds some extra isolation.

Still need to test if my AQ Diamond has the shields connected to both sides of the cable but I believe it hasn't but if it has I'm not going to mod it! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(27-Mar-2017, 16:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote: And stop buying these Aqvox switches and writing about them everyone! I'm trying to save my money!!!

What?! You haven't ordered yours yet??  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(27-Mar-2017, 16:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Sounds good - at least it's a bit more affordable (and realistically priced to what they cost to make).

But I'm a bit confused - I thought cat 6 or below was meant to be better for audio because you can get unshielded, which was supposed to be better for noise isolation (no shield 'wire' to travel along), whereas 7+ has to be shielded for the spec?

I'm definitely more inclined to try this. Although aqvox and sotm 'tune' theirs specifically for audio data - quite how I've no idea since I doubt you could tell what the data is while it's travelling along the cable. I might actually email one of them and ask.

And stop buying these Aqvox switches and writing about them everyone! I'm trying to save my money!!!

Supra Cat 8 is used advantageously in TCP/IP and UDP application where correct data information is critical, e.g. 4K and 8K video streaming, high quality music streaming, gaming, data centers and in-building installations. By upping the performance 4 times to 2000MHz you are more likely to have no incorrect data being sent or not being corrected by applications in time as there is much more bandwidth to work with. This can be very important to avoid for example video loss in streaming or avoiding stuttering in music streaming and voice communication.
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 

I know it's not a audiophile question, but is there a reason why people outside the EU still get charged the "19% VAT" on purchase of the AQVox AQ-SWITCH-8.

I've bought stuff from the UK and regularly get the VAT taken of at checkout, so not sure is there's a reason AQVox don't do this (I know as I've just purchased one via their website 3 days). I've sent AQVox an email query, but no reply so far (3 days and waiting).
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Probably just their system being eu oriented. I'm sure they'll take it off for you, otherwise you risk double Vat if your customs nab it.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<