Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Melco users out there?
Sleep/spin down/wake-on-LAN is standard functionality for any NAS though. I don't use any of those facilities on my NAS as it's in use more than my Melco plus too many spins up/downs is detrimental to the life of the disks, but that ability would be quite useful on the Melco.
My gut feeling is I will go with the Melco, but I have to admit the dropouts in the demo are playing on my mind. After all the issues I have had with AIR it was the last thing I needed.
I think i should maybe upgrade my router too, its brand new but just the original supplied by SKY so probably not the most robust. It has the 200, sky tv, my LG TV and a PS4 hard wired in, so I dont think that is placing a great deal of demand on it, but a lot of people think it could be part of the problem. The wifi signal is the main reason i have an issue with AIR as it works when the lap top is close to the router. ( until i play downloaded music that is). So if I get a better wifi signal then this could help that. Trouble is I am a novice at all of this and have no idea which one to get. i will probably go t PC World and get one for about £200 just to make sure.
It is maybe time to take a step back and have a think again. I have more or less decided that I ma fed up with AIR, also decided that ultimately I want the PC and the NAS out of my music playback. I am a lot clearer with what i want now but not so sure how to achieve it......or whether I need to do it right now.
If Melco had their own robust app I would be more inclined to just do it now.
Frustrating for me. I take a lot of time to make my mind up on something but once I do that is it. I had decided on the Melco but the dropouts were the last thing I needed.
On a plus point I am learning a lot.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Why not measure your wi-fi strength before lashing out on a new modem? Loads of free apps for tablets. -50 odd denotes a 'good enough' connection for most purposes. Just moving commands from the control-point app to the Melco isn't stressing the wi-fi materially.

I think your problem lies with your control app itself. I've found that my BubbleuPnP, otherwise wonderful, can drop playback sequences and can muddle playlists such that selecting one track actually plays the next, though the on-screen indication of the track playing is correct.

Fraser
(21-Oct-2015, 09:25)fraserhadden Wrote: Why not measure your wi-fi strength before lashing out on a new modem? Loads of free apps for tablets. -50 odd denotes a 'good enough' connection for most purposes. Just moving commands from the control-point app to the Melco isn't stressing the wi-fi materially.

I think your problem lies with your control app itself. I've found that my BubbleuPnP, otherwise wonderful, can drop playback sequences and can muddle playlists such that selecting one track actually plays the next, though the on-screen indication of the track playing is correct.

Fraser

Great post thank you. i will look at this before making any decisions.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(21-Oct-2015, 09:25)fraserhadden Wrote: Why not measure your wi-fi strength before lashing out on a new modem? Loads of free apps for tablets. -50 odd denotes a 'good enough' connection for most purposes. Just moving commands from the control-point app to the Melco isn't stressing the wi-fi materially.

Fraser

I do feel that my wifi strength is an issue though as AIR works when lap top in same room as router.
When it is in next room , with a wall between the lap top and router I get the issues after about 10 or 15 minutes. Also if I am not using the lap top for anything else I get less problems
(20-Oct-2015, 19:53)Confused Wrote:
(20-Oct-2015, 17:24)GuillaumeB Wrote: Regarding the Melco control app this has been in beta testing since the summer so I expect it is getting closer to be released. 

Guillaume

An interesting post!  Earlier this month:

Bob Ryan Wrote: 

Within past couple weeks I've been in touch with Melco/Buffalo and there will be no Melco control app in foreseeable future and perhaps not at all - so if that matters to you probably good to look at Aurender, Lumin or Bryston device.

I guess at least one of you is correct!

I remembered that I had some correspondence with Melco back in early September regarding their control app, to quote:

"There is a plan to make a control app available – but it is distant and so the feature set is not settled yet."

So that leaves two big questions, how far in the future is "distant", and what will the feature set look like?
(21-Oct-2015, 13:12)Confused Wrote:
(20-Oct-2015, 19:53)Confused Wrote:
(20-Oct-2015, 17:24)GuillaumeB Wrote: Regarding the Melco control app this has been in beta testing since the summer so I expect it is getting closer to be released. 

Guillaume

An interesting post!  Earlier this month:

Bob Ryan Wrote: 

Within past couple weeks I've been in touch with Melco/Buffalo and there will be no Melco control app in foreseeable future and perhaps not at all - so if that matters to you probably good to look at Aurender, Lumin or Bryston device.

I guess at least one of you is correct!

I remembered that I had some correspondence with Melco back in early September regarding their control app, to quote:

"There is a plan to make a control app available – but it is distant and so the feature set is not settled yet."

So that leaves two big questions, how far in the future is "distant", and what will the feature set look like?

And my question is it only iOS or is it for Android aswell if they are making a control app?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hi Octaviars, I have no idea about that. if you go on there website and contact them through that they will help you. i did this a few weeks ago when i wanted some more information and they could not have been more helpful.
(21-Oct-2015, 20:35)Womaz Wrote: Hi Octaviars, I have no idea about that. if you go on there website and contact them through that they will help you. i did this a few weeks ago when i wanted some more information and they could not have been more helpful.

I will do that.

If I do decide to get a N1A can you recomend a dealer in the UK that will ship to Sweden?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(21-Oct-2015, 20:58)octaviars Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 20:35)Womaz Wrote: Hi Octaviars, I have no idea about that. if you go on there website and contact them through that they will help you. i did this a few weeks ago when i wanted some more information and they could not have been more helpful.

I will do that.

If I do decide to get a N1A can you recomend a dealer in the UK that will ship to Sweden?

Melco's website shows a dealer in Finland, plus the price looks a little lower in Euro's. (2000€)