Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Roon Nucleus users?
(05-Apr-2019, 06:18)petrik Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Does Devialet has issue with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet? I see people are using it in this way...

Yep, Devialet has lots of issues with Roon RAAT streaming over a gigabit Ethernet network. Roon RAAT over Wifi works quite well, so I'm using Wifi until the problems with Ethernet have been solved.

Thanks for sharing the info. I didn’t realise it.
(05-Apr-2019, 11:08)PeppaPig Wrote: Mate if you are picking every single word of mine, that’s your choice. I said it’s not optimised compare to standard NPC hardware. And when I said it’s not much optimized I mean they may turned off/removed some services that no need for audio in the OS, but even leaving them on it doesn’t do any harm to sound quality.

I had a discussion with roon support about sound quality on different hardware that Roon Server running, their answer is No difference.

I am sharing my information here and try to help ppl who want to save money... your choice to believe it or not, I don’t really mind if you trust what I say or not, no need to tell me you having difficulty to trust my statement as I really don’t care. If you have proven evidence to show a difference in sound quality, just focus on proving it, don’t waste time on questioning me. Thanks.

I'm not trying to pick your every word apart but you said there was no optimisation and that was in direct contradiction to published statements by Roon which I quoted. You then revised your statement to "not much optimisation" and "jjust simply turned off unused services in the OS" without giving any information about where that information came from.

What I'm asking is whether you have been specifically told or shown information that states that the only optimisation conducted was turning off unused services and if so, what the source for that information is, or whether your statement that the only optimisation is that Roon "just simply turned off unused services in the OS" is a surmise on your part given that it is basically a standard NUC on the hardware side.

You say "I am sharing my information here and try to help ppl who want to save money" and while I can accept the motivation to help people save money, you most certainly can assemble an equivalent NUC with standard Linux software for less money and optimise it yourself by turning off unused services and then running Roon's ROCK software on it, I don't believe you've shared information. You've made some statements that contradict Roon's statements about their OS and you have provided nothing apart from a statement to the effect that "all they did was this" with nothing to back that up, no account of how you came to know that information. 

I made no claims about Roon's optimisation, I didn't even mention that. You're the one who brought optimisation into the discussion and initially claimed that there were no optimisations . You then changed that statement when I provided a link to a document from Roon indicating that there was optimisation. The onus of proof is usually regarded as resting with the person making the claims and you're the one who's made the claims. I've made no claims about optimisation,  just pointed to statements from Roon which don't agree with your original assertion, and as I said, I'm not saying that you're wrong about the only optimisation being turning off unused services. I know nothing about what they did to optimise anything apart from what they've said in the white paper I provided a link for. I'm asking what's the basis for your claim because it does interest me, since I'm in the process of buying a Nucleus, and if your information comes from a documentary or web based source I'd like to read the original.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(05-Apr-2019, 11:10)PeppaPig Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 06:18)petrik Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Does Devialet has issue with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet? I see people are using it in this way...

Yep, Devialet has lots of issues with Roon RAAT streaming over a gigabit Ethernet network. Roon RAAT over Wifi works quite well, so I'm using Wifi until the problems with Ethernet have been solved.

There are two ways to avoid the Roon RAAT over gigabit network issues (if you're having them)...

1) Use Wifi in the Devialet (assuming your have solid wifi in your home), or

2) pick up a cheap 10/100 mbps switch (under $10 on Amazon) and insert it in front of your Devialet.    This will throttle the gigabit speed down to 100 mbps speed in/out of your Devialet while leaving your Roonserver machine and router operating at full gigabit.

Both Roon and Devialet are, in theory, working on a solution to this issue.   But bumping down the network speed works fine and has no negative impact on performance or sound quality as far as I can tell.    No more dropouts, no more Roon "Audio file loading slowly..." errors.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(04-Apr-2019, 18:18)mdconnelly Wrote: But I am holding out a bit until the issues with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet are fully resolved.

I am keen to understand what would be your advantage with gigabit when all is good with throttled 100 mbps and it works ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(05-Apr-2019, 17:37)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Apr-2019, 18:18)mdconnelly Wrote: But I am holding out a bit until the issues with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet are fully resolved.

I am keen to understand what would be your advantage with gigabit when all is good with throttled 100 mbps and it works ?

Great question, and to be honest, there is no advantage.   Absolutely none.   Everything functions perfectly and sounds great operating at 100 mbps.    The only problem is the one in my head that wants to understand why some people don't seem to have a problem using Roon RAAT streaming at gigabit speed to their Devialet while many others do.  

I'm extremely happy that there is a simple workaround because being able to use Roon RAAT does have an advantage - both in terms of sound quality (my opinion) and being able to sync with other endpoints in my home.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
(05-Apr-2019, 18:03)mdconnelly Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 17:37)audio_engr Wrote:

Great question, and to be honest, there is no advantage.   Absolutely none.   Everything functions perfectly and sounds great operating at 100 mbps.    The only problem is the one in my head that wants to understand why some people don't seem to have a problem using Roon RAAT streaming at gigabit speed to their Devialet while many others do.  

I'm extremely happy that there is a simple workaround because being able to use Roon RAAT does have an advantage - both in terms of sound quality (my opinion) and being able to sync with other endpoints in my home.

I jus' love your great HONESTY ...  Tongue   have a great day !

P.S. it would indeed be fun to see how D fixes the issue though ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
My guess is that we'll see an updated firmware and/or OS from Devialet that addresses this. And I doubt Roon would say as such until Devialet is ready to release it.

As to when that will all happen... well, there is the 2019 predictions thread here.
Durham, NC USA
(05-Apr-2019, 16:28)mdconnelly Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 11:10)PeppaPig Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 06:18)petrik Wrote: Yep, Devialet has lots of issues with Roon RAAT streaming over a gigabit Ethernet network. Roon RAAT over Wifi works quite well, so I'm using Wifi until the problems with Ethernet have been solved.

There are two ways to avoid the Roon RAAT over gigabit network issues (if you're having them)...

1) Use Wifi in the Devialet (assuming your have solid wifi in your home), or

2) pick up a cheap 10/100 mbps switch (under $10 on Amazon) and insert it in front of your Devialet.    This will throttle the gigabit speed down to 100 mbps speed in/out of your Devialet while leaving your Roonserver machine and router operating at full gigabit.

Both Roon and Devialet are, in theory, working on a solution to this issue.   But bumping down the network speed works fine and has no negative impact on performance or sound quality as far as I can tell.    No more dropouts, no more Roon "Audio file loading slowly..." errors.

Thanks for the info. I never know 1Gbps has problem... currently using Wifi, since the CI board has onboard cache I guess it should be fine to use WiFi, probably sound the same as cable. I use a Apple Airport express connected to the Devialet so it has very strong and reliable WiFi connection.
(05-Apr-2019, 13:15)David A Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 11:08)PeppaPig Wrote: Mate if you are picking every single word of mine, that’s your choice. I said it’s not optimised compare to standard NPC hardware. And when I said it’s not much optimized I mean they may turned off/removed some services that no need for audio in the OS, but even leaving them on it doesn’t do any harm to sound quality.

I had a discussion with roon support about sound quality on different hardware that Roon Server running, their answer is No difference.

I am sharing my information here and try to help ppl who want to save money... your choice to believe it or not, I don’t really mind if you trust what I say or not, no need to tell me you having difficulty to trust my statement as I really don’t care. If you have proven evidence to show a difference in sound quality, just focus on proving it, don’t waste time on questioning me. Thanks.

I'm not trying to pick your every word apart but you said there was no optimisation and that was in direct contradiction to published statements by Roon which I quoted. You then revised your statement to "not much optimisation" and "jjust simply turned off unused services in the OS" without giving any information about where that information came from.

What I'm asking is whether you have been specifically told or shown information that states that the only optimisation conducted was turning off unused services and if so, what the source for that information is, or whether your statement that the only optimisation is that Roon "just simply turned off unused services in the OS" is a surmise on your part given that it is basically a standard NUC on the hardware side.

You say "I am sharing my information here and try to help ppl who want to save money" and while I can accept the motivation to help people save money, you most certainly can assemble an equivalent NUC with standard Linux software for less money and optimise it yourself by turning off unused services and then running Roon's ROCK software on it, I don't believe you've shared information. You've made some statements that contradict Roon's statements about their OS and you have provided nothing apart from a statement to the effect that "all they did was this" with nothing to back that up, no account of how you came to know that information. 

I made no claims about Roon's optimisation, I didn't even mention that. You're the one who brought optimisation into the discussion and initially claimed that there were no optimisations . You then changed that statement when I provided a link to a document from Roon indicating that there was optimisation. The onus of proof is usually regarded as resting with the person making the claims and you're the one who's made the claims. I've made no claims about optimisation,  just pointed to statements from Roon which don't agree with your original assertion, and as I said, I'm not saying that you're wrong about the only optimisation being turning off unused services. I know nothing about what they did to optimise anything apart from what they've said in the white paper I provided a link for. I'm asking what's the basis for your claim because it does interest me, since I'm in the process of buying a Nucleus, and if your information comes from a documentary or web based source I'd like to read the original.

Hahaha! It’s fun to see you get excited! Don’t be so sensitive mate. No one here want to hurt your feeling about Necleus, if you like it go ahead and buy it then.

I told you not to waste time to argue, if you can prove something then try to prove it.

Also don’t make assumption that I changed my statement was because I read your post. Base on what evidence you think I read your post and then make a change? Just because the timing? Don’t be stupid. I did not really change my statement, I said there is no optimisation, or I said there is not much optimisation, to me they are same same mate. They change from fan to Fan less, they changed the OS removed unnecessary system services, if you consider those are significant optimisation and going to give noticeable impact to the SQ then buy it. By the way, give Roon support a call or email them. I have shared what I know: Roon customer support told me their Roon Server running on nucleus or NPC, NAS or PC, will NOT has impact on SQ, the performance is designed to be consistent cross all platforms.

Last reply, I think I have treated you too nice. Wink good bye!
I could be wrong on this, but isn't the Nucleus running the same ROCK operating system that you can run on a NUC?
Durham, NC USA