Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
I currently use AIR Wifi via Roon, with my wireless Netgear router sat close to my Devialet 200.

I would be very interested if someone would be able to post a listening impression comparing AIR Wifi to AIR Ethernet with the EtherREGEN directly connected between their router and the Ethernet input of the Devialet, ie direct without an endpoint in the chain.

I would like to see if just one device would make a discernible improvement to the audio quality. Up till now I have always been happy to have avoided the expense and extra clutter of having several devices in the audio chain from my laptop to the Devialet.
(10-Nov-2019, 17:13)octaviars Wrote: @Antoine dont the simplified version look really tempting Smile 

My set-up with the etherRegen will be like this.

Yes it does look tempting, but it has to be better.  Smile I owe it to myself to test this one day, should be easy enough. But “unfortunately” the first person (Larry/lmitche) who tested whether upstream changes (in this case the server connected to the A side of the ER) still had an effect reported they do and even more than before.

(10-Nov-2019, 20:33)baconbrain Wrote:
(10-Nov-2019, 16:05)Antoine Wrote: Now if only AIR/RAAT would be stable and sound as good (perhaps it will, don’t know right now!) and anything upstream of the etherREGEN would not matter in any way it would be possible to simplify my setup massively

My gut feeling tells me that you will still prefer the USB / AES connection over RAAT ... Smile

Time and some ‘empirical research’ as in testing and listening will tell!  Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(11-Nov-2019, 15:24)Antoine Wrote: ...
Yes it does look tempting, but it has to be better.  Smile I owe it to myself to test this one day, should be easy enough. But “unfortunately” the first person (Larry/lmitche) who tested whether upstream changes (in this case the server connected to the A side of the ER) still had an effect reported they do and even more than before.

That suggests to me either that the perceived changes are psychological (e.g. due to bias), or that the theory and/or engineering of the EtherRegen are flawed.  My money would be on the former -- not that anyone should care Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Nov-2019, 16:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Nov-2019, 15:24)Antoine Wrote: ...

That suggests to me either that the perceived changes are psychological (e.g. due to bias), or that the theory and/or engineering of the EtherRegen are flawed.  My money would be on the former -- not that anyone should care Smile

To be honest the same exact thoughts always cross my mind as well until I hear for myself (or not). Not that I’m not susceptible to any kind of suggestion or bias of course. Smile

I did ask Larry to confirm if it really was the server upstream on the A side (and not the DAC attached endpoint on the ‘fully optimized’ B-side) and he just confirmed. First and only ‘data point’ thus far claiming this so I’m curious if others will report similar findings or the opposite like Alex of Uptone did.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
@Antoine I am not surprised that it will be exactly as before the etherRegen no matter what Uptone says it will do. Upstream, downstream, internal/external clock, cables, powersupplys all this will make a differenc to some and some will claim it will not do anything so the wheel will just keep spinning as it did before Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(03-Nov-2019, 11:48)Antoine Wrote: And another new kid on the block! Smile

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/etherstre...rk-switch/
It'll be interesting to get Srajan's opinion/review of this switch.  It's listed on his 6 Moons preview page.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

So I had to make a new appointment, Fedex will come again Monday morning. So no ER for me this weekend, oh well!

The Netherlands
(11-Nov-2019, 17:20)octaviars Wrote: @Antoine I am not surprised that it will be exactly as before the etherRegen no matter what Uptone says it will do. Upstream, downstream, internal/external clock, cables, powersupplys all this will make a differenc to some and some will claim it will not do anything so the wheel will just keep spinning as it did before Smile

Yes, I guess you’re right!  Smile It’s interesting though now more and more people are sharing what they hear en describing their systems.

(13-Nov-2019, 13:37)Flashman Wrote:
(03-Nov-2019, 11:48)Antoine Wrote: And another new kid on the block! Smile

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/etherstre...rk-switch/
It'll be interesting to get Srajan's opinion/review of this switch.  It's listed on his 6 Moons preview page.

Thanks for sharing, I’ll keep an eye on it.  Smile

The Netherlands
(15-Nov-2019, 16:11)Antoine Wrote: I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

So I had to make a new appointment, Fedex will come again Monday morning. So no ER for me this weekend, oh well!

Why does that always happen when one is waiting for new toys? If it would have been a delivery for a vacuum cleaner, you would have it by now ...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(16-Nov-2019, 09:09)baconbrain Wrote:
(15-Nov-2019, 16:11)Antoine Wrote: I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

Why does that always happen when one is waiting for new toys? If it would have been a delivery for a vacuum cleaner, you would have it by now ...

So true!! (unfortunately  Big Grin)

Tomorrow morning I’ll stay right at home until it’s been delivered!  Blush

The Netherlands