Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
Thank you David for a most comprehensive review.

(14-Jan-2020, 12:38)David A Wrote: So, what are my impressions? This is about the 3rd time I’ve tried to write something in the last couple of days and every time I’ve tried my impressions have changed in some ways. There are a lot of comments on the Uptone Audio forums about break-in and there does seem to be a break-in. Part of it is definitely a change in the overall sound over time and part of it is changes in me and how I’m relating to what I’m hearing. The general trend is for things to improve over time but I had a brief period where I thought things sounded a little aggressive and a longer period where I thought things were sounding overly polite. Both of those passed. I don’t know if I still have any more of those surprises in store for me.
Your experience mirrors some of the posts on the Uptone forum, in that burn-in during early days can change the sound significantly.  I did notice my ER change a bit over the first week, but nothing that was negative.

(14-Jan-2020, 12:38)David A Wrote: I’ve found myself being more engaged in what I’ve been listening to with the EtherREGEN in the system than I was before.
Fully agree that the ER makes the music more engaging.
--------
Any plans to try different Ethernet cables, and different PSUs?
@Snoopy8

Noplans to try different ethernet cables or PSUs. It's not that I don't think they can make a difference, it's that I'm really happy with the sound at the moment and I don't want to make any changes.

I'll get around to tweaking things again at some stage but it's always really nice to sit back and relax whenever things really come together for a while, and that's where I feel things are at the moment.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(18-Jan-2020, 12:50)David A Wrote: @Snoopy8

Noplans to try different ethernet cables or PSUs. It's not that I don't think they can make a difference, it's that I'm really happy with the sound at the moment and I don't want to make any changes.

I'll get around to tweaking things again at some stage but it's always really nice to sit back and relax whenever things really come together for a while, and that's where I feel things are at the moment.
I’ve been more or less in the mode of constantly adding and adjusting my system and you spend the entire time waiting for something or another to run in, only to embark on the next change. I agree that sometimes its nice to just take a long pause and enjoy what you have.
(18-Jan-2020, 18:06)Blackmorec Wrote:
(18-Jan-2020, 12:50)David A Wrote: @Snoopy8

I’ve been more or less in the mode of constantly adding and adjusting my system and you spend the entire time waiting for something or another to run in, only to embark on the next change. I agree that sometimes its nice to just take a long pause and enjoy what you have.

that's how it is.
and you will never reach the holy grail
@Johnnydev

You're right to suggest we're involved in a search for the Holy Grail but you left out the most important part: there's a bigger element of Monty Python involved in the search than anything else :-)

What else could you call an iterative process of never quite getting there?
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Zeno's Paradox? (Achilles and the tortoise)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Jan-2020, 21:09)David A Wrote: @Johnnydev

You're right to suggest we're involved in a search for the Holy Grail but you left out the most important part: there's a bigger element of Monty Python involved in the search than anything else :-)

What else could you call an iterative process of never quite getting there?

Maybe it helps! Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
On second thought, let's not go there. Camelot is a silly place.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(18-Jan-2020, 21:36)thumb5 Wrote: Zeno's Paradox? (Achilles and the tortoise)

10 +2 + 0.4 ... Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
The UpTone made big and positive improvement in my system.

I connected it between the router and totaldac d1

The improvement is all over the board:
Took off most of the harshness.
Bass goes deeper and clearer
Separation is better
Image is better ( not that I care about it )
Not as tiering to listen as before

So far I only listen to tidal via Roon
( I didn’t listen to my Nuc D1 combo yet )

I’m happy , my type of upgrade, not too expensive and an immediate improve

Thx for the recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk