Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
Very often comments about this is that ethernet switches does not have a sound, so the EtherREGEN can not possibly sound different - let alone better - than the others because it is a network switch. To the extent that they will not even listen to the EtherREGEN. To his credit, Amir did listen but of course heard no difference because, as you say, his listening methodology was wrong. Expectation bias...?
My ER arrives end of February and I look very much forward to that!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Another nice read from the guys from Alpha-Audio in the Netherlands answering a question of one of their blog readers on audiophile switches (in Dutch). Might also give some info for the discussion on 'doesn't measure, so doesn't exist'.

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/achtergrond/d...oor-audio/
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
@kerkhoffd Agree that Alpha-Audio has done a nice job of testing (both blind and otherwise) so-called audiophile switches. We both have the Bonn N8 -- which was a top 3 switch in blind testing -- and it's made a difference in our systems. Alpha-Audio recognizes that pure measurements are not always the answer. In their Q and A, they sum up (courtesy of Google Translate):

"Does a special audio switch make an audible difference? Yes. It does. A really good switch brings more peace and definition to the display. Less 'hardness', especially in the middle and high. Sometimes a little more space in the stereo image."

That's been my experience!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
They have a sound.  It changes with time.  I stopped running Roon and have been using Tidal direct via USB.  Generic driver on Surface Pro X.  I still believe in WiFi creating this fun buffer.  Use the simplest AP and keep the loom 3-5m each stretch for anything wired in.  Even going to a printer, anything on the network, just spend a little, Wireworld Chroma 8...I have one long Chroma run and five runs of Starlight 7 and just keeping the loom quiet even with garbage devices in between like the AT&T fiber gateways...to NAS that never serves music.  Just keep it quiet.  The devices are too unpredictable; you’ll drive yourself mad.  Last run to the Dev should be all copper.
(31-Jan-2020, 23:32)Flashman Wrote: @kerkhoffd Agree that Alpha-Audio has done a nice job of testing (both blind and otherwise) so-called audiophile switches.  We both have the Bonn N8 -- which was a top 3 switch in blind testing -- and it's made a difference in our systems.  Alpha-Audio recognizes that pure measurements are not always the answer.  In their Q and A, they sum up (courtesy of Google Translate):

"Does a special audio switch make an audible difference?  Yes. It does. A really good switch brings more peace and definition to the display. Less 'hardness', especially in the middle and high. Sometimes a little more space in the stereo image."

Same here. Glad I took the jump. Together with the IsoAcoustics Gaia II beneath my loudspeakers one of the best tweaks I have introduced in my set the last few years.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(03-Feb-2020, 22:05)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(31-Jan-2020, 23:32)Flashman Wrote: @kerkhoffd Agree that Alpha-Audio has done a nice job of testing (both blind and otherwise) so-called audiophile switches.  We both have the Bonn N8 -- which was a top 3 switch in blind testing -- and it's made a difference in our systems.  Alpha-Audio recognizes that pure measurements are not always the answer.  In their Q and A, they sum up (courtesy of Google Translate):

"Does a special audio switch make an audible difference?  Yes. It does. A really good switch brings more peace and definition to the display. Less 'hardness', especially in the middle and high. Sometimes a little more space in the stereo image."

Same here. Glad I took the jump. Together with the IsoAcoustics Gaia II beneath my loudspeakers one of the best tweaks I have introduced in my set the last few years.

same here, but then with the EtherRegen and IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Hans Beekhuyzen has just released his review of the Uptone EtherREGEN.
Since a week i running a Sbooster MKII 12V on the ER with better result.
Even better with a Audioquest Monsoon 1mtr powercable.
(14-Feb-2020, 11:50)Johnnydev Wrote: Since a week i running a Sbooster MKII 12V on the ER with better result.
I agree that a linear power supply improves the EtherRegen. Been using a Gieseler Audio Kraftwerk 12V 2A PSU which provides a more engaging and musical reproduction. That particular PSU is also grounded.

Most people here will not know Gieseler Audio; it is a small Australian boutique manufacturer of excellent, value for money PSUs and DACs.
(14-Feb-2020, 12:56)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(14-Feb-2020, 11:50)Johnnydev Wrote: Since a week i running a Sbooster MKII 12V on the ER with better result.
I agree that a linear power supply improves the EtherRegen. Been using a Gieseler Audio Kraftwerk 12V 2A PSU which provides a more engaging and musical reproduction. That particular PSU is also grounded.

Most people here will not know Gieseler Audio; it is a small Australian boutique manufacturer of excellent, value for money PSUs and DACs.

„Kraftwerk“ das ist ja geil!  Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack