Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audioquest Niagara 5000 to use with dual monos
(08-Nov-2018, 10:17)Rama Wrote: Devialet 440 Pro CI is already a very capable machine. However the presentation falls apart when playing complex musical pieces. I have always heard about how on a good hifi you can hear how big the recording venue was, another sort after characteristic is soundstage depth and layering. Does the Niagra 5000 add to any of the above attributes?

On a separate note I had also read about how on a good setup you can hear individual guitar strings.  Well after adding the AQ Tornado to my mains block it became very apparent as to what all the hifi magazines were alluding to. So obviously there is some merit to claims that AQ as a company is doing something special.

not too easy to address and qualify the subjective values you may place on "depth and layering" but the addition of the 5000 yielded a dramatic increase in weight , clarity and authority.  The unit appears to be ideal for Dev. monos with the two dedicated high current outlets.  I am using a Tornado from an AQ Edison wall outlet to the 5000 with two NRG Z3's out to the 440's.  There is a new level of clarity and "silence" if that makes any sense.
Thanks @Wdw that does make sense.
(08-Nov-2018, 10:49)Rama Wrote: Thanks @Wdw that does make sense.

Final comment...G.Powell, the EE designer of these new cords and the Niagara, is revisiting the cable line offered by AQ and has just issued the Mythical Creatures Line of speaker cables and a new Firebird PCord.  Think these are going to be interesting to hear.
I have heard about them but it seems that they are not yet available in the UK. For me changing speaker cables from AQ Rocket 88 to Castle Rock was a huge leap in terms of SQ. Rocket 88 sounded very warm and had a rolled off top end, a complete opposite to the castle rock. Saw a couple of youtube presentation that G.Powell gave in one he played some drums pretty impressive for a EE designer.
(08-Nov-2018, 10:17)Rama Wrote: Devialet 440 Pro CI is already a very capable machine. However the presentation falls apart when playing complex musical pieces. I have always heard about how on a good hifi you can hear how big the recording venue was, another sort after characteristic is soundstage depth and layering. Does the Niagra 5000 add to any of the above attributes?

On a separate note I had also read about how on a good setup you can hear individual guitar strings. Well after adding the AQ Tornado to my mains block it became very apparent as to what all the hifi magazines were alluding to. So obviously there is some merit to claims that AQ as a company is doing something special.

Hi Rama,

I can't help with the AQ Niagara 5000 question specifically, so I hope I'm not deviating from your question. I personally take only a passing interest in much of what the magazines say or how they describe some characteristics, but I think your post contains a good description of what does happen with the change to better power cords and the addition of power conditioning; the unravelling or untangling of sounds. My Shunyata D2000T into my 220 CI did exactly that; unravel and separate sounds, along with improvements in clarity and delivery and tone.

The AQ N 5000 is not inexpensive as you note, but my sense is that these amps really do take full advantage of 'improved' power. I have no idea how or why it works, but I am fully convinced that it does, and I would expect the dual mono system will benefit even more than a single amp.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Bought the PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 and received it an hour back.

Installing it with my Roon Nucleus with Self DIY Linear Power Supply (with Choke), Dev 440 Pro CI & B&W 802 D3.

Will report the results shortly ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
@Damon Now I just need a dealer who would let me audition the Niagara 5000 for a week. I don't think I would be able to part with 5K without a home audition and hearing exactly what SQ gains we are talking about. It would have to be a OMG moment for me to open my wallet.
(08-Nov-2018, 23:37)Rama Wrote: @Damon Now I just need a dealer who would let me audition the Niagara 5000 for a week. I don't think I would be able to part with 5K without a home audition and hearing exactly what SQ gains we are talking about. It would have to be a OMG moment for me to open my wallet.

I agree completely. A new box with only a light on it and no fancy meters or switches is not a very sexy way to spend any money, let along a significant amount such as the AQ 5000 costs. After a few expensive, embarrassing and very annoying mistakes, I won't even buy a digital cable without trying it at home on my own system. Sometimes there is no chance to do that, but if at all possible, it is a necessity. 

One thought is that the AQ5000 has multiple outlets, including two dedicated to high current (or whatever it is) draws, and so you would be able to give all your components the benefits, if any, of the higher quality power. 

Hope you get a chance to do a home demo. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
@Damon Will report back with my findings. Going to approach some online retailers and see if they have a demo on stock. Maybe all I would have to do is pay for the postage. Fingers crossed...
(09-Nov-2018, 00:54)Rama Wrote: @Damon Will report back with my findings. Going to approach some online retailers and see if they have a demo on stock. Maybe all I would have to do is pay for the postage. Fingers crossed...

bummer on the UK pricing...price here in Vancouver with a nominal dealer discount was $4400CAD, roughly 2600 pounds. Tornado was extra to that price, naturally.