Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic Aries G1
I am sorry if I duplicate an existing thread, but I searched the chat forum and found little information regarding the new Auralic Aries G1 in conjunction with Devialet.

I have a somewhat troubled past concerning streamers. I started out with an Aurender N100H connected to my Expert 120. It is indeed a good streamer, but sound wise it was a bit on the dark side. I always felt like treble was lacking a bit and therefore, made the sound to be darkish.

Next was Roon on my Mac Mini 2018 via Ethernet to my Devialet. Initially, I quite liked the sound (not to mention the vast step of Roon's graphical interface compared to Aurender's Conductor app). But after extended listening, the sound became a tad too bright and became fatiguing.

So, I decided to buy Roon's Nucleus to avoid any computer noise spilling into the Devialet. Much to my surprise, the Nucleus didn't sound much better via Ethernet/Devialet. The sound was anaemic, flat and totally uninvolving. In the meantime, I sold my Nucleus and fretted of having sold my Aurender.

I also had an Auralic Aries Mini somewhere hidden in a drawer, that I had used only for a short time. Just out of curiosity, I connected it to my Devialet (with my music library on a Samsung 2 TB SSD) and I was totally surprised that I liked the sound so much better than compared to the Nucleus. The bass was much better, the aneamic sound was gone. Even though the Aries Mini sounded a tiny bit noisy, I thought that's the direction I should move. For streaming Tidal/Qobuz, however, the Aries Mini is not good. Stable streaming, but the highs were brittle and unnatural. But local files were pretty good.

Having read all those great reviews concerning the new Aries G1 (G2 is too expensive for my taste), I went to see my local dealer and asked if he had a G1. He told me that the supply for the G1 is totally dried out and that it would take months to get a new batch delivered to him. But he offered me an Aries Femto to try out. After connecting it to my Devialet and setting up the Lightning DS software, I was ready to go. Boy, was that thing good: totally quiet, music emanated from a black background, and I very, very much liked what I heard. Good bass, great treble, and totally clean. Most of all, the sound was totally involving and enjoyable.

So it basically confirmed what I expected from the Aries Mini, only much better! Now, I would like to invest into nowadays's technology - the Aries Femto will be phased out (as far as I know).

Before spending over 2K, I would like to hear your experience with the G1. Feedback mostly appreciated! Thank you!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I can not help you with the Auralic Aries G1, but I use an Auralic Aries G2. It replaced my Aurender N100H
I find the sound to be very analog, if not better without the clicks and pops, and the background noise is not there.
I do have a VPI Classic 1 with a great cartridge, and I prefer the Auralic Aries G2

I connect to my 220PRO by USB.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(22-Apr-2019, 23:22)BrianT Wrote: I can not help you with the Auralic Aries G1, but I use an Auralic Aries G2. It replaced my Aurender N100H
I find the sound to be very analog, if not better without the clicks and pops, and the background noise is not there.
I do have a VPI Classic 1 with a great cartridge, and I prefer the Auralic Aries G2

Brian

Thanks for the reply, Brian!

That's exactly what attracts me with the Auralic: the analog-like sound. Having listened to the Aries Femto for a few days, I was totally taken by the smooth and clean sound. Now that you mention it to be a feature of the G2, I guess it is can also be heard with the G1, even though the G2 is a step higher than the G1.

I never suffered from pops and clicks in any of the streamers I tested, but I mostly disliked bright and flat sound (except the Aurender N100H). 

It looks like nothing can go wrong when choosing the G1 as the streamer.
(23-Apr-2019, 11:21)Sailor4W Wrote:
(22-Apr-2019, 23:22)BrianT Wrote: I can not help you with the Auralic Aries G1, but I use an Auralic Aries G2. It replaced my Aurender N100H

Brian

That's exactly what attracts me with the Auralic: the analog-like sound. Having listened to the Aries Femto for a few days, I was totally taken by the smooth and clean sound. Now that you mention it to be a feature of the G2, I guess it is can also be heard with the G1, even though the G2 is a step higher than the G1.

I never suffered from pops and clicks in any of the streamers I tested, but I mostly disliked bright and flat sound (except the Aurender N100H). 

I've used both the Aries and Aries Mini (I still have the latter in my office). Both are superb machines dedicated to streaming and relatively low noise, which is why they sound so good. I use the Mini with an external linear power supply.

I heard that Devialet have an Aries Mini in-house as a source, is preferred to the full Aries as Pro CI does reclocking and there is no need for the Aries femto reclocker. It actually caused noise in my system when I first got CI, so I switched from the Aries to the Aries Mini and the noise disappeared.

The G1 takes things to a new level with two internal linear power supplies for the processor and the usb/AES outputs. Someone was telling me yesterday how staggered he was by the sound quality. I recently purchased the Innuos Zen Mk3 that has the same configuration - dual internal linear power supplies for the processor and usb output. The sound quality is just superb, whether by ethernet or usb. I am absolutely delighted with it.

The Roon Nucleus has the disadvantage of a single external linear PSU and a more powerful processor that produces more noise and heat. Roon has far more processing capacity than most people will ever need (upsampling and multiple filters to 8 endpoints). Innuos is designed for Roon but has a more efficient and less powerful processor that is more than adequate for normal Roon use, especially for the Devialet DAC that works in 24/192 and makes DSD upsampling a bit pointless.

I used Auralic Lightning software for years and loved it. I am now a Roon covert ever since they tied in with Qobuz. So I would have thought you should be delighted with the G1. My Innuos Zen Mk3 with 4tb hard drive and ripper costs the same. I also had to wait a couple of months for delivery, they are so popular.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(23-Apr-2019, 11:21)Sailor4W Wrote: I never suffered from pops and clicks in any of the streamers I tested, but I mostly disliked bright and flat sound (except the Aurender N100H). 

Sailor

I should have clarified that the few pops and clicks I hear are from the turntable, not from any steaming source.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(23-Apr-2019, 12:04)ssfas Wrote:
(23-Apr-2019, 11:21)Sailor4W Wrote:

Brian

I've used both the Aries and Aries Mini (I still have the latter in my office). Both are superb machines dedicated to streaming and relatively low noise, which is why they sound so good. I use the Mini with an external linear power supply.

I heard that Devialet have an Aries Mini in-house as a source, is preferred to the full Aries as Pro CI does reclocking and there is no need for the Aries femto reclocker. It actually caused noise in my system when I first got CI, so I switched from the Aries to the Aries Mini and the noise disappeared.

The G1 takes things to a new level with two internal linear power supplies for the processor and the usb/AES outputs. Someone was telling me yesterday how staggered he was by the sound quality. I recently purchased the Innuos Zen Mk3 that has the same configuration - dual internal linear power supplies for the processor and usb output. The sound quality is just superb, whether by ethernet or usb. I am absolutely delighted with it.

The Roon Nucleus has the disadvantage of a single external linear PSU and a more powerful processor that produces more noise and heat. Roon has far more processing capacity than most people will ever need (upsampling and multiple filters to 8 endpoints). Innuos is designed for Roon but has a more efficient and less powerful processor that is more than adequate for normal Roon use, especially for the Devialet DAC that works in 24/192 and makes DSD upsampling a bit pointless.

I used Auralic Lightning software for years and loved it. I am now a Roon covert ever since they tied in with Qobuz. So I would have thought you should be delighted with the G1. My Innuos Zen Mk3 with 4tb hard drive and ripper costs the same. I also had to wait a couple of months for delivery, they are so popular.

Interesting aspect that the Aries Mini sounds better than the Femto with the new CI board! I have an Expert mode, so I needen‘t worry about reclocking noise.
Also re- assuring your friend‘s comment about the superior sound quality of the G1, another reason pulling the trigger and get the G1 ASAP!
I also tried an HDplex external power supply for the Nucleus, but didn’t get anywhere because the HDplex was faulty when it arrived. So I cannot comment on sound improvement when using an external LPS.
Innuos was the other brand I was thinking about. I quite like their setup with an on-board CD ripper, as we still have quite a few CDs around in need for integrating them into my library. But the Innuos is a bit hard to come by where I live. And somehow, after hearing the Aries Femto, my mind is set to Auralic.
I must say, I quite like the Lightning DS software, Roon for my taste is a bit too rich in features and tends to be crowded. But it has its good sides as well and I still have to try it out in combination with the Femto.
I am trying to push my local dealer to get a G1 for me, but he seems to be a bit slow. Maybe I just look around somewhere else!
(23-Apr-2019, 22:51)BrianT Wrote:
(23-Apr-2019, 11:21)Sailor4W Wrote: I never suffered from pops and clicks in any of the streamers I tested, but I mostly disliked bright and flat sound (except the Aurender N100H). 

Sailor

I should have clarified that the few pops and clicks I hear are from the turntable, not from any steaming source.

Brian

Interesting to hear that analog technology is also plagued by its own problems ?
(24-Apr-2019, 05:32)alaw Wrote: I watch several audio forums (as most of us do I’m sure), and people seem to always be rotating the popular streamers for various reasons, bigger sound stage one week, then sounds crap the next week, time to change again... When I start thinking I don’t like the sound of my system, I play some of my favorites and remind myself how good it can/does sound. Saves a lot of money that way. Mastering differences will make a bigger difference than any linear PSU or Femto clock. Enjoy the music, the gear is secondary.

I took exactly the same attitude for a long time. Till I stumbled onto Auralic. Neither Audirvana plus, nor Roon was able to get the music right (Audirvana still better than Roon in my opinion), but connecting the Auralic Femto to my system was a very good thing. None of the treble glare that was so annoying in my previous setups, wonderfully involving sound! This might very well be particular to my ears, but for enjoying what I hear, it is important to me. I do not convince myself that something sounds good, I just hear it. But I very much agree that these streamers are expensive, maybe too expensive? Never mind!
Why don't you just buy the Femto instead of the G1? It's cheaper and you like it!
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(25-Apr-2019, 10:22)KraaijCheck Wrote: Why don't you just buy the Femto instead of the G1? It's cheaper and you like it!

Ha, interesting suggestion! Thought about it as well. The dealer offers the Femto for about 1800 Euros (new, obviously). He‘d give me a bit of discount, as it is a demo unit. The new G1 will be around 2200 Euros. So for the extra 400 Euros, I‘ll be investing in most recent technology. That‘s worth the extra cash. Naturally, second hand Femtos go around 800 Euros, that‘s worth a thought. But Auralic won‘t support the Femto in the near future, so I prefer to stay on the safe side.